Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

mtDNA of ancient Etruscans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mtDNA of ancient Etruscans
    Posted: 31-Jul-2005 at 07:17
I never said that any invasion changed the population (at most in a very small percentage of the genetic pool), what I think that invasions can do is to change a language, some customs and specially socio-political organization. As ou say well, sedentary farmers are very difficult to displace or exterminate (not to say plainly impossible)... but invasions are not always insignificant and they do happen. Roman invasions of Western Europe made it to change language to Latin and later Romance, Macedonian invasions of SW Asia placed Greek as oficial language of such advanced civilizations as Egypt and Persia, Anglo-Saxon invasions of Britain changed the linguistic map of the island in favor of a Germanic dialect, Semitic invasions of Mesopotomia slowly but steadily "semitized" the region, Hittite and other invasions in Asia Minor, changed the spoken tongues into Indo-European ones, Spanish invasion of America, with only a small ammount of colonization displaced largely native tongues in favor of Spanish (even if the genetic makeup of the region is basically Amerindian still today), Hungarian invasion of the Pannonias changed the predominant slavic tongue into Hungarian, previously slavic migrations had changed the language map of the Balcans with only a relatively small ammount of "Slavic blood", Turk invasion of Asia Minor, again, changed the linguistic map and now Turk is spoken almost exclussively, even if the ancestors of modern Turks were mostly locals. Not all invasions achieve such cultural changes but is common enough as to consider them seriously.

In any case, the kind of colonization that happened recently in North America, Australia or Argentina, displacing the natives almost totally is very very rare in history... and I never consider it when speaking of ancient times.

So it's never invasion->substitution but rather invasion->subjugation what we are talking about.

Anonym View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Anonym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2005 at 22:29

Originally posted by Maju

I never said that any invasion changed the population (at most in a very small percentage of the genetic pool), what I think that invasions can do is to change a language, some customs and specially socio-political organization. As ou say well, sedentary farmers are very difficult to displace or exterminate (not to say plainly impossible)... but invasions are not always insignificant and they do happen. Roman invasions of Western Europe made it to change language to Latin and later Romance, Macedonian invasions of SW Asia placed Greek as oficial language of such advanced civilizations as Egypt and Persia, Anglo-Saxon invasions of Britain changed the linguistic map of the island in favor of a Germanic dialect, Semitic invasions of Mesopotomia slowly but steadily "semitized" the region, Hittite and other invasions in Asia Minor, changed the spoken tongues into Indo-European ones, Spanish invasion of America, with only a small ammount of colonization displaced largely native tongues in favor of Spanish (even if the genetic makeup of the region is basically Amerindian still today), Hungarian invasion of the Pannonias changed the predominant slavic tongue into Hungarian, previously slavic migrations had changed the language map of the Balcans with only a relatively small ammount of "Slavic blood", Turk invasion of Asia Minor, again, changed the linguistic map and now Turk is spoken almost exclussively, even if the ancestors of modern Turks were mostly locals. Not all invasions achieve such cultural changes but is common enough as to consider them seriously.

In any case, the kind of colonization that happened recently in North America, Australia or Argentina, displacing the natives almost totally is very very rare in history... and I never consider it when speaking of ancient times.

So it's never invasion->substitution but rather invasion->subjugation what we are talking about.

I get your point.  my question is IF there is a conflict, is it really an invasion if nothing significant changes?  if the largest consequence is that people go into a dark age for a spell then what is it's historical relevance on the people?  I submit little to nothing.   the language remained, the people were not displaced, the culture continued  and, if there were invasion settlements, they assimilated in their totatility. 

if there was an invasion (rather than wars) there is some additional evidence required.  it does not dismiss the notion, just is not a given. and if there is, what really did it affect?    

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2005 at 15:23
I can't give you more evidence than what I know of the apparent invasion of Crete by Myceneans. Still it's seemingly an overwhelmingly accepted fact and I do think that Greek is a IE tongue, so either:
a) IE tongues come originally from the Aegean (what would be questioned by many other facts elsewhere)
b) There was an IE invasion either at the start of the Mycenean age or before
c) Greeks happily abandoned their ancestral tongue and adopted an IE dialect for no reason at all
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 20:57

That's the etruscans but the romans were different, weren't they.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2005 at 07:19
Originally posted by Quetzalcoatl

That's the etruscans but the romans were different, weren't they.

Yes. Romans were rather influenced by their Etruscan neighbours who gave them most of their civilized skills, specially engineering and architecture (and probably some myths too). Let's not forget that for some time Rome was under an Etruscan monarchy and that Etruscans were to start with more populous and advanced than Latins. The very draining of the forum, without which Rome would have never become a true city, was done by Etruscan engineers.

Latins, unlike Etruscans were IE-speakers who had came first to the Italian peninsula most probably c. 1300 BCE, along with other Illyric and Italic peoples. Obviously they were very much mixed, as the very legend of the kidnapping of the Sabinas seems to corroborate. Latins were a very small population occupying only a fraction of what now is called the Latio but, under Roman leadership they achieved hegemony in Italy and possibly invented the concept of Italian nationality for the first time in history, aglutinating all the peoples of the peninsula in a single community of Greco-Roman uses and Latin language.

Ionian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Ionian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2005 at 07:27
 alparslan  plz ..  this is crazy...
Originally posted by Alparslan

Originally posted by Serge L

well, etruscans where said to come from Asia Minor, i.e. modern time Turkey.

I's likely that the proximity between ancient Etruscans and modern Turkey is via he original inhabitants of Asia Minor with which the "Proper" Turks who invaded it got mixed.

Unless more concretearcheological researches conducted this seems the most probable hypothesis.

BUT; this means that ancient Anatolian genes belongs to a non IE speaking group whose lanuage cannot be dechiphered properly.

There are interesting similarities between Etruscan legend of Romus and Romulus and Turkish legends of Central Asia; even there is the raven in both legends but the basic similarity is she-wolf ancestory.

There are also similarities in vocabulary. For example the name of Tarquinius of Etruscan kings. Tarqan is a Turkish title of commander in the army. It may be possible that a commander has been nominated for an expedition and settled in Italy.

There are also many similarities in terms of vocabulary between Latin and oldest Turkish written texts in Asia.     

Originally posted by Iskender Bey ALBO

mtDNA of Ancient Etruscans

This study on the Ancient Etruscans is a very exciting application of what will most likely take place increasingly in the future: large-scale genetic analysis of ancient DNA samples. See also similar studies on the Guanches and on Ancient Mongolians.

The links that you have given did not work. Would you please past/copy texts or copy the exact link.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 23:27
I recently had my DNA analyze through the National Geographic's Genological project and the results were incredible.  I come from a family with deep Turkish roots, still celebrating pre-Islamic Turkish traditions and folklore from the Anatolian/Caucasus region.  We do not have any Mongol features as most western historians like to wrongly categorize Turks.  The DNA pool was found to be a direct descendent of the Eurasian Adam, which belongs to the Haplogroup J2(M172).  This group is the first human migration to Europe.  They originally moved up mesopotamia, through Anatolia(Catalhoyuk) and branched out to Europe(mainly through the Alpine region) and also back through the Caucasus into Asia.  Ironically, this is the dominant group in Turkey and is the most dominant for all Turks.  This group is found in Basque and Etruscan societies.

I, like many, consider the theory that, Turks never originated from Central Asia.  They were apart of their ancient Sun God tradition, and spread this religion from the fertile crescent to both Asia and Europe.  All the trade routes were mainly controlled by Turkic tribes stretching from Birke(Turkish from "birlik"(union), Sweden to Peking(Turkish word) China.  Turkish after 8,000 years plus, is spoken still from Scandinavia, through Siberia.

Perhaps, the Basques, Etruscans, Pelasgians, Thracians, Scythians, Trojans, Lydians, Sumerians are all one and the same.  Note that some scientists believe the Sumerians set up the kingdoms in Egypt.  They carry the same Sun God traditions.  Turks still carry the Sun God tradition.  You'll note that the Turkish flag is not a crescent moon, but a crescent sun(eclipse).  And all 17 Turkish nations(Kirgiz/Uzbek/Azeri/Kazak/Turkmen/Gagauz/etc.) all have the Sun in their symbols.

In summary, for those that believe Turks came from Mongolia in the 11th century, you are very weak in your knowledge of true history.  I stand as proof that Turks have been in Anatolia for over 10,000 years.  Greeks came from Northern Iran, and are not true indigenous people of modern day Greece.   The slavs, came into central and eastern Europe in the 9th century.  Thracians/Kazars/Scythians(all the same) have been in Europe for over 4,000 years....  now DNA is speaking the truth and scientist will not have to rely on so-called historical text from biased court scholars from the Greek and Roman era.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 07:55
Turk efendi,
What is the meaning of all of this?
National Geography decided that you are decedant of adam  drom  Adams  DNA ?.The one michael Angelo showed his picture ,bare aass with his  girl friend Ms Eva with a peace of fig leaf covering her vigina  is the mother of Turks ?  she  is the mother  of Turks ,or  Adam Efendi had a second wife? That is all what  I want to know, and thank you for these  desinformations

P.S.No wonder Turkey conciderd as Europian something
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 08:46
As far as I know, Basque and Etruscan languages have no relations with Turkish language.
I don't understand how "court scholars from the Greek and Roman era" could have been biased against Turkish world. In ancient Greek and Roman times simply there was no "Turkish" culture known to them.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 09:45

Greeting

There were Turks there ,they were hiding under the Table recording  conversations for the CIA
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 11:26

Why some people believe that Etruscan language was not IE? I have read some material claiming that they were pre IE, some other that they were proto IE and some that they were IE, linked directly with the Illyrians, other Italic, Thracians and Celts.

As far as I know nobody really deciphered the etruscan language till now, and the discovered scriptures could be read in other keys as well.We have to wait for a "Rosetta Stone" perhaps.

And if the proto-IE were mongoloids, how come the modern IE people are not such?

And if the greek culture always lived in Greece and went through uninterrupted evolution, how come Greek language belongs to the IE group and not to the preIE as the basque does?
Prej heshtjes...!
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 13:01
Originally posted by Arbλr Z

And if the greek culture always lived in Greece and went through uninterrupted evolution,

I'm sorry, perhaps I missed something, but who said that?

Common understanding is that the Greek tribes appeared sometime during the 2nd millennium BC and replaced or assimilated other pre-Greek populations. Whether these populations were IE or not this is still debated. I.e. Luwian is considered IE while Minoan pre-IE. Again, proof is not firm on the pre-Greek populations of the area.
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 13:27
Well Yannis reading this discussion i saw that somebody mentioned some 30000 years of uninterrupted history etc. I am aware that anyway modern historians as well as greek scientists accept that the first greek tribes invaded this place at the dates you mentioned.
Prej heshtjes...!
dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 08:05

I cannot understand how some people say that a nation has a history of 30,000 years. History of each nation begins under some specific conditions and the most important of these is any kind of written speech. 

Tamercrop says that the Pelasgians , Etruscans, Scythians and all the ancient tribes were of turkish origin. It's unbelievable of course and it's a struggle from the turkish side to persuade us for the turkish presence in Europe since the ancient times and the turkish contribution (or descent) to the most popular civilizations.

Tamercrop says as well that it's wrong to consider the Turks to be from Central Asia, which means that they don't have any mongolian descent. But refering to the modern turkic nations (Kirgiz/Uzbek/Azeri/Kazak/Turkmen/Gagauz) is nothing but an antiphasis because these nations are obviously related to the Mongolians.

Edited by dorian - 08-Jun-2006 at 08:08
"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia�Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 12:52
Originally posted by Tamercorp

I recently had my DNA analyze through the National Geographic's Genological project and the results were incredible.  I come from a family with deep Turkish roots, still celebrating pre-Islamic Turkish traditions and folklore from the Anatolian/Caucasus region.  We do not have any Mongol features as most western historians like to wrongly categorize Turks.  The DNA pool was found to be a direct descendent of the Eurasian Adam, which belongs to the Haplogroup J2(M172).  This group is the first human migration to Europe.  They originally moved up mesopotamia, through Anatolia(Catalhoyuk) and branched out to Europe(mainly through the Alpine region) and also back through the Caucasus into Asia.  Ironically, this is the dominant group in Turkey and is the most dominant for all Turks.  This group is found in Basque and Etruscan societies.

The strongest haplogroup in turkish ''gene pool'' is HG 9 (y chromosome)-and basques have got about o % of it...HG 9 is strongest among Bedouins...Today gene pool of turks is a result of the assimilation process..

turkish is an altaic language and it's not of the same origin as any of the anatolian languages-or etruscan-and especially basque lang.- which dates from paleolithic...
"It's better to be a billionair for a lifetime then to live in poverty for a week"
               Bob Rock
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123