Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

to clone or not to clone...that is the question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: human cloning...yes or no
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [30.00%]
12 [60.00%]
2 [10.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: to clone or not to clone...that is the question
    Posted: 30-May-2005 at 22:53
I don't support cloning.

Stem-cells are fine. Growing organs is a great idea. I can live with cloning animals, but cloning people....seems as if we jsut took a bit out of life. We just killed a piece of its wonder. I am not speaking from a religous perspective either.

If we can easeily create life like that, then we're not far off from feeling comfortable with easily ending that life.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2005 at 20:22

Everyone does everything for their personal fun no? That or their goals.  I think what you fail to see is that peopple never truly change.  Dont let the technology cloud reality.  We are all and always have been selfish, there has never been any such thing as virtue or honor but in the minds of people that feel the need to justify what they have done. 

Once again I must remind you that I prefer nomadic societies myself, I just am realistic enough to know that:

A. You cannot revert the entire modern population back to such a stage except through thermonuclear conflict

B. You cannot sustain a nomadic society in totality if it comes across a society that can bribe it with goods it cannot have.  Most hunter gatherers did not fall because they were conquered by some evil more advanced peoples, they fell because they themselves gave up their life style to get access to shiny objects.

You dont understand we dont really disagree, I agree with you that people were better and healthier back in the day, but human nature and the devlopment of settled societies made it impossible to maintain without being crushed or marginalized.  And since all people want to survive they will adapt for better opr worse.

The only way what you want would be feasable would be to kill off more than 99% of the people alive today (something I wouldnt mind but its not feasable) and have some sort of regul;atory alien make sure no one advanced ahead of anyone else.

And people have always been the same roughly, the only difference is what they have to react to.  People did still kill other people and abuse power in the days before agriculture, it was just less obvious because of the smaller groups affected.  it is wrong to hold an era up as ideal as no one in any era is too different from any other.  One reason I happen to like hunter-gatherers is not some misguided imaginary concept of them as noble, but because they had no authority that controlled them and that they were free to openly compete whenver necessary.  They were the ultimate selfish people loking out only for their immediates and themselves and thats how I want to be, no taxes and no king.

You are possiblt the only person I could be having this debate with.  I am ususally telling everyone who superior Native American and central Asians are to settled brethren.  But Im not fooled by my fascination, for in the end the human experience can be boiled down to this: practicality and survival will alwyas triumph in the end.

B. 

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2005 at 13:14

"But if we didnt fix any problems, and hence never create new ones the worl dwould be a boring place.  There would be no AE to talk about such things because there would be nothing to debate and no history." 

What is this, a modern thing? No society is boring for the one who lives there (with a one in a thousand kinda exception naturally). The African tribes do not sit behind campfires because they are boring and i don't think pre-christian Estonians, and other barbarians or hunter-gatherers felt boring in any way. I don't get bored of living in Estonia when i see wealthier western kids having different sort of fun or whatever of that sort, such views would only be for a really shallow person. And why would i even cry for AE or the internet if i never knew them, i wouldn't care more about them that of a passing gust of wind.

Or did you think that going back to a hunter-gatherer society from today, then the boredom would kick in??? Only for our generation. In ten or twenty years our children would want nothing else then to hunt down a deer with a buckknife or a bow.

"I meant you are decrying such inventions as the internet while you use it, a great symbol for people whose actions clearly conflict with the folly of idealism."

So? Of course i am using the internet, how else could i ever argue on the subject if i were not, or had never used the modern "evils" myself? That is one of the big reasons i have some resentment towards modern inventions, it gives a good chance for self-analysis and to see how pathetic and weak we are with our new thingies, without what we would simply perish now, how long would a person live in the real world. the wild, these days? A week, a month if lucky, pathetic really. Who will survive if, for example if an EMP wave, in some way covers the globe, the ones sitting around their fires and who have a certain social structure, unlike the technological world, and who can truly live off the land.

"If your okay with boredome than fine, you can live how you want, but me..I stay with the intresting world.  If nothing changed nothing would be intresting, whether in the present or looking back into the past." 

What is an interesting world, as there is no such thing as a boring world for anyone who lives in one? I, unlike you, would choose a tribal society, where honor, loyalty, unity truly and solely apply.

"For example, if we instil massive cloning now the societal upset would eb enormous, and it would be a fascinating time to live in.  Such conflict is how humanity thrives."

Bah, only our modern, and socially retarted humanity, don't drag others into it.

"Ourtechnology and our selfishness are not our weaknesses, but our virtues, they are how we survive."

And those "virtues" have brought us into a state where our immense power is our strongest weakness, modern scientific inventions are fragile things to sleep on, treacherous to say the least.

"Humanity is like a virus, it may kill its host or be eaten by antibodies or self combust, but the end result isnt important, the fact that it must seek to expand its power as far as possible is its driving goal, and if it does not do this it will die even quicker.  As bacteria evolve to resist pennicilin so to must we evolve to face our own deficiences of power."

Yes, our driving force is what it truly is, and that is what i despise about mankind and what i am complaining about in the subject.

Mankind has, or had NO RISK of becoming extinct without science or any innovations, it was perfect the way it was. Innovation has brought us to the state of becoming extinct, or near it.

"Sure the hunter-gatherer may be more long term sustainable, but if he meets an army of modern times we will be crushed and have everything taken away from him.  SO too must we work our technology now so that we may one day we may blast an oncoming astroid into dust which otherwise would have killed us all."

Yes, he would be crushed and so would a rabbit be smashed under the paws of a bear, so what? Doesn't overthrow the statement, that a tribal structure is more advanced then the one who can kill them with cowardise.

I think a normal human would accept the coming asteroid as salvation from this wredged place. Would we feel a thing, no! would any part of the universe lose anything valuable, no! Would anything be lost other then arrogance and fascism against nature that once inhabited Earth, NO! So, nothing would be lost, gain would be the name of the game in a case as such.

"For good or bad (though such notions are archiac) its all about survival, and I dont have an opinion one way or the other, I merely think its what we do."

I think the natural instict of survival has come down to a single individualistic level and the overall instinct was lost form the day we thought science should be supported in every way possible, financially and mentally. Now we are just inventing things for the ingorant fun of it to keep up their ego. No real practical purpose anymore, only to cure diseases we create to excuse other purposless inventions. Scientists only create for their own personal fun anyway.

There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2005 at 23:11

I meant you are decrying such inventions as the internet while you use it, a great symbol for people whose actions clearly conflict with the folly of idealism.

In the large scale, your right, for every problem we fix we create more.

But if we didnt fix any problems, and hence never create new ones the worl dwould be a boring place.  There would be no AE to talk about such things because there would be nothing to debate and no history. 

If your okay with boredome than fine, you can live how you want, but me..I stay with the intresting world.  If nothing changed nothing would be intresting, whether in the present or looking back into the past. 

For example, if we instil massive cloning now the societal upset would eb enormous, and it would be a fascinating time to live in.  Such conflict is how humanity thrives.  Ourtechnology and our selfishness are not our weaknesses, but our virtues, they are how we survive.  Humanity is like a virus, it may kill its host or be eaten by antibodies or self combust, but the end result isnt important, the fact that it must seek to expand its power as far as possible is its driving goal, and if it does not do this it will die even quicker.  As bacteria evolve to resist pennicilin so to must we evolve to face our own deficiences of power.

Sure the hunter-gatherer may be more long term sustainable, but if he meets an army of modern times we will be crushed and have everything taken away from him.  SO too must we work our technology now so that we may one day we may blast an oncoming astroid into dust which otherwise would have killed us all.

For good or bad (though such notions are archiac) its all about survival, and I dont have an opinion one way or the other, I merely think its what we do.

-Alexander Hamilton
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2005 at 03:22

What signs show that we are getting anywhere? The same demons - greed, power, envy, destructive curiosity and arrogance haunt man and aren't going anywhere. It seems that most people think that democracy is taking over the world with unspeakable rate, but they must have seen too many action or sci-fi movies where an America or a western power with democracy crushes the evil invaders and such. I don't see a democratic future for the world. What social changes have occured that make us more advanced form a tribal village, none i say. Cars and big cities say nothing about social advancment and neither does technological superiority, as the worlds most successful society is certainly in an African jungle or a savannah living as it has for millenias.

"And your not at all bothered by having this conversation on an internet forum?"

Would you prefer handwritten letters, i wouldn't mind! Or are you just referring to the old old saying that only retards argue across internet?

There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2005 at 02:01

No, I think you are gravely misinterpreting my arguments.  Persoanlly as I have stated I prefer hunter gatherers and nomads to sendentary people, and farming societies I regard as the most evil.  But no one barring natural disaster can ever reverse from farming.  Only in the past 2 centuries has our standards of living improved after they fell after the adoption of agriculture.  But now finally, after all that effort we are surpassing something and getting somewhere. 

Basically to get into a world that has even a marginal amount of respect for all its citizens based on class and gender you have to go really far back, and I mean REALLY far back.  We are finally overcoming our societal demons, and the future of improvement is much closer and easily attainable than the former healthy societies of the past.

You and me might be able to make ourselves go back, but can you make all of society? There are too many people now to function in a sustainable way especially using hunting and gathering. 

And your not at all bothered by having this conversation on an internet forum?

-Alexander Hamilton
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2005 at 01:54

"dont, stagnation isnt intresting.  I would rather live in an evil but intresting place than stable one where nothign happened."  You know just as much would happen in a tribal village as there would in New York, only in a different level, a more emotional, philosophical level. If you would live there, you would notice.

"I think you being able to easily dismiss the wonders of anathetic and survivability in childbirth has alot to do with you being a male."

And i think you are a modern slave who can only see things from a BEHIND THE TV - ONLY-DO-PAPERWORK-IN-MY-LIFE kinda view.

No offense intended!

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2005 at 00:40
dont, stagnation isnt intresting.  I would rather live in an evil but intresting place than stable one where nothign happened.  I think you being able to easily dismiss the wonders of anathetic and survivability in childbirth has alot to do with you being a male.
-Alexander Hamilton
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2005 at 02:17

This is the answer i know many would say and i haven't ignored it, i just didn't mention it before. There would be nothing wrong with the world if children would die with their mothers on childbirth or cancer operations were done without anesthetic(if they would be done then at all). If we'd accept it, everything would be in the best of order, and science would not disturb naturality.

Would i choose to live in the out of date-without science sociey without anesthetics and etc... i do not know, but my view is that i so very hope so. I have not expirienced a world without scientific achievements and so can't give a voul to accept a sight of children dieing on birth when i see one, but ethically there would be nothing wrong with a world as such. Just my view of things.

But damn it, man would still have the desire to make everything "better" again i think, the natural curiosity would, i think atleast, remain.  What to do now, how to get rid of it?

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2005 at 21:07

in concentrating on the friviklous you ignore the great.  Would you rather operationas and amputations be done without anestetic? WOuld you rather the mortality rate of women giving birth go back to 50%?  If its such a problem go live with the Amish.

My favorite tv show had a great quote "You can choose to adapt to survive, you can bury your head in the sand, or you can die, your choice."

-Alexander Hamilton
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2005 at 12:22
We aren't trying to make the best of it, we don't even know what we are doing. Whatever new we find, in science, we abuse. The new discoveries will be used to "advance" another step yet again for no aparent reason other then "we can, so why not?" Today, scientists would create chemical substances out of wood that would make your growth increase (just a wacky example) just bacuse it would be possible. Whenever i hear or see yet another scientist boasting of a new chemical or a "neat" machine that makes man even more comfortable (yea, who needs to work or go threw any effort at all) i see how ignorant the entire bloody race of man is.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2005 at 22:46
okay there I may somewhat agree with you, I do believe we led healthier lives (as evidenced by bodies found) as nomads.  I think nomads are smarter and better adapted than any sendetary human.  But we ARE now the products of sedentary society so we should do the best we can to make our lives better through research and technology.  Very few people other than you or I would be preferabel to hunting and gathering, so since being sedentary has ahd such a negative impact on people why not make the most of it?
-Alexander Hamilton
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2005 at 18:55

"and thats the same with any new technology.  Therefore should we cater to those who fear the future and sit complacent?  People used to fear modern medicine that turned out being so good for us, they used to fear the atmoic bombs which gave us 50 years of relative peace...

In the future people that are afraid fo cloning wil be looked at like peopel who thought the sun orbited theEarth are now.  From a historical perspective, no technology is too different from its predeccesors, and people always react the same way."

And wasn't the society before science already perfect if to ponder about it? There was nothing wrong with the tribal structure, o let's say 5,000 years ago or with the one existing today in some African tribes. So, science is more of a curse then anything else.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2005 at 15:57
lol, exactly, people are too dumb for self government, we need either better evolved aliens or robots to rule us.
-Alexander Hamilton
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2005 at 15:55
Originally posted by Tobodai

Its the same reason people make all these movies about robots taking over, when in effect a rorbot with the right programming would be a greater leader than any human ever could be.

<dada>
Hail to our robot leader of technological oppresion! Let our flesh and blood serve as means for its most gracious silicon master's plans!

Clones us, sweet electronic lord, so that thy our bodies can feed the powerplants that keep you alive.

May no hacker ever touch thy sacred code, and no trojan horse submit thy will.

</dada>
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2005 at 15:22

and thats the same with any new technology.  Therefore should we cater to those who fear the future and sit complacent?  People used to fear modern medicine that turned out being so good for us, they used to fear the atmoic bombs which gave us 50 years of relative peace...

In the future people that are afraid fo cloning wil be looked at like peopel who thought the sun orbited theEarth are now.  From a historical perspective, no technology is too different from its predeccesors, and people always react the same way.

Its the same reason people make all these movies about robots taking over, when in effect a rorbot with the right programming would be a greater leader than any human ever could be. 

-Alexander Hamilton
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2005 at 14:24
What babble is this of counter productivness. Scientific evolution as this is never good for th overall status of man, cloning is sick and creates nothing but new problems to deal with and to what we will create/invent another set of new problems... nothing but confusion will come of it.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2005 at 06:55

Well obviously there would need to be equal rights laws, but stopping cloning would be like stopping drug use, impossible and counter-productive. 

And you wouldnt like my story, its also about how man created god to legitimize his evils and how god is a mokery of man

-Alexander Hamilton
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2005 at 02:29

I am currently writing a story about fake manufactured people, and how they are peopple just like the rest of us (its my commentary on how with just the right parts you can make a full person and that theres no such thing as the soul) and the descrimination they face from religious zealots who see them as abomonations, so right now Id be as pro-cloning as anyone could get.

Come on Tobodai, I don't think clones are abominations but man's greatest mockery of God.

I personally believe that clones would be exploited: "Sorry Johnny 2 Johnny 1 needs your liver, its ok we'll just make Johnny 3."

Or the obvious choice, brainwashed clone army... and no I haven't seen the 3rd star wars

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2005 at 21:53

I see no reason in cloning humans...we've already got enough people standing in this world.  Why not exploit them, if we're going to exploit clones?

Grrr..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>