Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who are the Kurds?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who are the Kurds?
    Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 19:19
Originally posted by Hushyar

ArmenianSurvival and Tatar44

ArmenainSurvival you are only very little right and Tatar44 you are completely wrong.
This is true answer:

Originally posted by Sharukin

The Assyrians did in fact record the name "Kurti" in the regions where the later Carduchi, Carduene/Gorduene, and the Kurds inhabited, to the north of Assyria.  Some make the earliest reference to Kurds as the Guti of the Sumerian sources, inhabitants of the Zagros Mts., however the Assyrians knew them as the Kuti, at the same time they had knowledge of the Kurti. 

Since the Assyrian references to the Kurti preceded that of the Median conquest of the region, we need to see Kurdish origins as a much more complex process.  They inhabited a region which was linguistically Hurrian, a situation which was in evidence since the third millenium BC.  They were perhaps Hurrians, or at least Hurrian-related.  When the state of Urartu was conquered by the Medes, the Kurti, which were also part of the Urartean state were also conquered. 

While Urartu was Armenianizing, the Kurds were with much resistance, Aryanizing.  The process may have taken centuries since those mountainous regions were difficult to conquer, but even more difficult to hold.  The Assyrians were always trying to pacify those mountainous regions, but they knew that these were temporary measures, and even the Persians found these areas difficult to hold.  Xenophon, describing the penetration into the mountainous Carduchian region by the 10,000, related that a Persian army had been totally destroyed trying to subdue the region, and the region was thus independent when the 10,000 arrived.   

and

Originally posted by miller

Kurds are a non-Arab Middle Eastern minority population that inhabits the transnational region known as Kurdistan, a plateau and mountain area in Southwest Asia including parts of Iraq, Turkey, and Iran and smaller sections of Syria and Armenia. They speak Kurdish, an Indo European language of a similiar lineage to that of Persian. They are widely thought to be descended of the Medes. Xenophon the ancient Greek historian recorded the Kurds in the Anabasis as "Khardukhi" a firece and protective mountain dwelling peoples who attacked his armies in 400 BC.

The Kurdish languages belong to the northwestern group of the Iranian branch of the Indo-European family; a close relative is Persian, which is in the southwestern group.

I don't know what I must add to these quotes.

Originally posted by Tatar44

the language "kurdish"is a persian language with a lot of Turkish and arabian words.

wrong!!!! the correct answer is this:
Persian and Kurdish are both considered as Iranic languages this does not mean that they are dialects of each other or dialect of a common language, It does mean they have common ancestor.Kurdish is considered  as a separate language and have its own syntax, grammar , phonetics and morphology which are specific to itself, by these standard Kurdish is considered as a separate  language or separate language group

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 19:31

Originally posted by Oguzoglu

Hushyar, you may be right, but the current Kurdish spoken in Turkey has not much difference with Persian, except its spelling which became closer to Turkish. It's no different than regular Persian except its vocabulary heavily influenced with Turkish and a little with Arabic.

It is no different to regular Persian? Kermanji which is the most widespread Kurdish language in Turkey and it is not comprehensible by Persian speakers at all.  Sorani, if a Persian speaker is educated on a little etymology u can pick out about 40% of the words.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 20:35
Originally posted by Ardashir

Originally posted by Maju

Why?

I made it myself only a few years ago based in the most modern and accurate archaeological research I could find. I'm not expressing the opinions of others... nor any fashion... but my own personal coclusions.

If you have discrepances why don't you write about them? I will surely find them interesting, specially if they are as sound and well researched as your disqualification seems to imply.

Yet, bring your "ultimate" theories and the facts behind to the forum, please.

My links are enough and more than enough for rejection of your outdated theories.

You make me do all the work, what isn't very fair.

Still your links, thought interesting up to a point, give limited evidence, not to say none at all.

One relies heavily in the theory that IEs originally dwelt in the Nord-Pontic region, and also on written remains, which is obviously not much relevant, as I pointed out before. I must remind you that languages are, before anything, spoken languages and writing is only a possible accident that can happen to some languges at some times. Though written texts can be of great value they proof nothing but the latest possible date of arival of a given tongue to a given region, nothing more.

So the probable way of Indo-Aryan expansion could took place from Pontic steppes - via the Caucasus - to the Middle East - and then via Iran and Punjab to India. Else, they could reach India going crossing Central Asia, but in that case the Mitanni subgroup chose just another way from the Black Sea - to Mesopotamia.

Or they simply could have originally sprang from Central Asia. Also the Mitanni, could well be just a branch of the main Central Asia -> Iran -> India expasion of Eastern IEs, as I suspect most likely.

The Other is a hypothetical chronology of IE expansion based on what? Let's see:

4000 BC - 3500 BC        Proto-Indo-European areal dialects

According to the comparative studies of all Indo-European languages, their phonetic, morphological, lexical and syntactical similarities and differences we can now judge about dialectal history within the community which was only about to brake up.

The difference of certain languages in forming the medium voice of verbs and the relative pronoun is considered to have marked the earliest division of tongues within the Proto-Indo-European language. According to it, the community was slowly breaking into two dialectal groups: one, including future Venetic, Illyrian, Anatolian, Tocharic, Italic and Celtic groups, used the relative pronoun kwis (which) or its derivatives; its medium voice markers were almost everywhere -r (Latin datur, Hittite kittari, Irish tuigear). The other group consisted of Indo-Iranian, Greek, Baltic, Slavic, Germanic, Armenian and Thraco-Phrygian languages, which took up yos as a relative pronoun, and endings -oi / -moi as medium voice markers.

Well this just makes not much sense compared to what I know or think I know. It seems quite clear for instance that the closer relative of Latin is Germanic and vice versa.

I use the following tree, made up by the authors, based in the same methods they used in Genetic studies (two different methods that gave the same results, or so they say). Sorry but the text is in Spanish (I think it won't be difficult to identify the English equivalents, anyhow):

The only odd branches for my work-hypothesis (theory if you like) are Albanian and Celtic. And, up to a point, the close relation between Germanic and Latin. We must notice that, according to the info the authors give, the possibility of mixture altering the apparent chronology is not very likely (else each of the methods should had given discordant results), so I guess there must be other explanations and I have a couple of ideas about them. But I will let them for better occasion.

But once again I ask you:

What's your explanation for existance of several common words between Proto-Indo-European and Proto-Semitic languages?

What about the Nostratic hypothesis. I must admit I don't have all the answers but the theory of the Nostratic superfamily (gathereing not just Uralic, Altaic and IE, but also Afroasian and Dravidic) could be your answer.

I like the idea of all those families migrating from Central Asia (Iran largely included) one after the other, with Semitic and Dravidic carriers marching first to the south (around 4000 BCE or maybe even before) and IEs to the West mainly (around 3500 BCE), while Uralic and Altaic groups would have remained behind by the moment.

I caress that hypothesis, specially liking the idea of Semitics (Afroasiatics) coming first from Iran and not Arabia or Syria (where evidence of any earlier Semitic tongue is just nul - and though Egyptians did speak an Afroasiatic-Hamitic dialect already around 3500 BCE, we can't know what they spoke in earlier)... but I can't proof anything and, thus, I only spoke because you asked.

Still, considering the cultural relationships between the Paleolithic European and (partly) SW Asian cultures, I suspect that is easier to believe these groups were somehow related linguistically (though very losely) and therefore were not IE. As the Neolithic of the Nord-Pontian area is ethnologically native (because archaelogy but also because some genetic studies seem to confirm that too) and that Neolithic (Dniepr-Don) lasts until 3500 BCE, I can't believe these were the earlier IEs.

Its self-evident that Basque is the last Western European native Paleolithic tongue and I can think that Caucasic families are also the last Eastern European (and Anatolio-Mesopotamian) native Paleolithic ones, both being cornered against the mountains though only losely related among the two, if at all.

Meanwhile the evil Pathriarchal Nostratic tribes sprung from Central Asia, invading and assimilitaing gradually everyone else.

I know I'm ranting but it's your fault: you asked.

Anyhow, just several comon words aren't enough to proof a linguistic relationship: they could be loans and even coincidences.

Edited by Maju
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2005 at 17:05

After reading many pages of replies; still think I can add some points! But first have to mention the fact that a "Theory" can't be considered a "Fact" until established scientific institutions agree with them in the proven texts. So the theories about "Iran being the origin of the Semitic and IE race", "Turks being in the Middle East for 6000 years" and/or" Kurds are the ancient Gotti's" are all unproven and non-scientific.

The established theory about the Kurds is that they are from the Iranian group of People .They gather various dialects under an umbrella: 1) Zaza seems to be connected to Gilaki, Taleshi and old Azeri(for not to be mixed with today's Azeri that is a Altaic dialect we may call it Tati)  2) Urami have common words with Avestaian 3) Kormanji- Sorani that has only it's original ties with Persian (maybe between 40-60%) 4) Gorani (Kermanshahi) that is more connected with Persian and Luri (60-80%) 5) Laki ,that is so connected with Luri that can't be said it is Kurdish or Luri [despite my effort I couldn't figure out is it true that the Feeli Kurds of the Iraq are Lurs or not!? But anyway they are so close.] 6) miscellaneous groups of the Kurds like the Izadies(Yazidi's), Lulu's, Jaff and etc.

It is not only written in the Shahnameh that the Kurds are the Iranian group of people  that who live in the mountains , but also still in many parts of Iran the mountainous people are called "Kurds": In  Mazandaran(central north of IR) we have "Kurdkooy","Kurdichal" and "Kurdmahaleh" , in the Chaharmahal (central east of IR) we have "SharKurd" , "Kulakchal" in Tehran and etc. Also in the local proverbs the word Kurd is being used as the people of the mountain: as in the Khomain and Golpayegan (Kurd be Kooh) means a "person who is wearing so many cloths that is alike he is going to highlands". The words "Kuoh" and "Kurd" may have some connections to each other in the original IE group.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 11:41

None of you guys are going back far enough.

If you go back to before Arab occupation you will find that all the
peoples of Mesopotamia were ethnically Persian types. Study
a map from 700 BC, and you will find the the Assyrians were
occupying the area that the Kurds now occupy.

If you doubt that the Kurds are the Assyrians, just ask them and
they will tell you. We are told that the violence in Iraq is sectarian
violence. The Kurds are Shiites and the Iraqi's are Sunni, but that's
not the issue, nationality is. When the British released their claims
on the Middle East, they Re-drew the borders of Israel and erased
Kurdisthan and there has been Kurdish violence ever since.

The Kurds will not accept being a vassal state of Iraq no more
than we would accept being a vassal state of Canada. As long
as Kurdish independence is not an issue to peace, the war and
violence will continue without end. There are only two choices:
exterminate them or give them their country back.

Jimmy
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 12:00
"Turks being in the Middle East for 6000 years"

Who made that claim? That's easily dis-provable. The Turks originally
were a major Mongel tribe that rode with the hordes of Genghis Khan.
Turkey was originally one of the Khanates, along with the Golden Horde
which were established after the death of Genghis Khan.

One of the most fameous Turks, Timerlane claimed direct descendence
from Ghenghis Khan, raised an army, conquered India and established
his own Khanate, the Mogul Empire. This is established history.
Anyone who says that the Turkes have been in Annatolia for 6,000
years is talking out the left side of his neck.

Jimmy
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 14:27
Yea, but Turks were in Central Asia long before Ghengis's time. Gok Turks for example.

Only the Feyli Kurd of Iraq are Shia, the rest (majority of Kurds in Iraq)  are Sunni.

Edited by Zagros - 09-Nov-2006 at 14:32
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 15:49
 a major Mongel tribe

hmmm did you ever read any book? errr about turkish people.

shinai View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote shinai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 16:59
It is clear  that Kurds are I.E. linguistically, but they look like more to Anatolian and northern middle eastern than Iranians. It is intresting that you can not make diffrence between an Azeri and a persian from Tehran, Isfehan or  mashhad ( north of Iran) but  can distiguish Kurds from other Iranian. Kurds should have the less amount of Iranian blood between the other Iranic groups.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 18:19
What are you sources for such claims? 
shinai View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote shinai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 21:45
decreasing amount of R1a1 percentage when you move westward in Iran(30% to 5%) and high percentage of j1 between people of Zagros, showing that they are originally  non Aryan. You should know that there are lots of words in Kurdish from Hurian language (not I.E.).
The isolation style of life in zagros, did not let Lurs and Kurds mixed enogh with Iranian genetic pool.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456