Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Khazars.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Khazars.
    Posted: 19-May-2005 at 15:24
I was wondering. Are they any remaining Khazars left in Russia? Are the Jewish populace there the remains of the past Empire or just converts? I have heard other stories that present day jews are in fact decendants from the Empire.  

Edited by Iskender Bey ALBO
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2005 at 15:36

Here are the answers of all your questions.

http://www.khazaria.com/

Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2005 at 16:58
The best answer would come from the jews themselves.
If we look at jewishencyclopedia.com we find that it clears the whole issue.

"In the year 669 the Ugrians or Zabirs freed themselves from the rule of the Obrians, settled between the Don and the Caucasus, and came under the dominion of the Chazars..................................It was probably about that time that the chaghan of the Chazars and his grandees, together with a large number of his heathen people, embraced the Jewish religion. According to A. Harkavy ("Meassef Niddaḥim," i.), the conversion took place in 620; according to others, in 740. King Joeph, in his letter to Ḥasdai ibn Shaprut (about 960), gives the following account of the conversion:(see Harkavy, "Soobshchenija o Chazarakh," in "Yevreiskaya Biblioteka," vii. 153)

"Some centuries ago King Bulan reigned over the Chazars. To him God appeared in a dream and promised him might and glory. Encouraged by this dream, Bulan went by the road of Darlan to the country of Ardebil, where he gained great victories [over the Arabs]. The Byzantine emperor and the calif of the Ishmaelites sent to him envoys with presents, and sages to convert him to their respective religions. Bulan invited also wise men of Israel, and proceeded to examine them all. As each of the champions believed his religion to be the best, Bulan separately questioned the Mohammedans and the Christians as to which of the other two religions they considered the better. When both gave preference to that of the Jews, that king perceived that it must be the true religion. He therefore adopted it".

To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2005 at 13:10
I didn't bother reading any of the other posts, just out of laziness, so if I type the same thing as above....oh well.  The Hazars don't exist anymore, the people may exist but not with the title of Hazar.  I've read that many of them have migrated to Central Asia and assimilated their with other Turks, some converted to Islam and some haven't but I assume most have.  Also, that a lot have migrated towards Urkraine and have assimilated with the Ukrainians and kept their Jewish religion.  I've heard other stories, I can't remember them but thes two stories sound the best to me.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2005 at 16:29
They dont exist very populated because they were mostly massackred by Hitler in WWII. But still, the Karaim Turks and others exist in Ukraine, and Eastern Europe...
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2005 at 16:40
Thanks to everyone for their replies. It appears this Khazar thing seems to have become a political tool for anti-zionists. 
Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2005 at 16:45
Has it?
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2005 at 16:54
Well many of them use this as a way to attack the creation of Israel, by stating that since the Jews there are converts they do not apply to the gods promise of Canaan. 
Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2005 at 17:00
I see, well they don't deserve that land.  My opinion has nothing to do with the Hazars though.
 Post Reply Post Reply