Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alexander the Great statues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
iamsherlock View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote iamsherlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alexander the Great statues
    Posted: 14-Sep-2014 at 12:29
Recently I had the chance to travel to Greece on a vacation.I couldn't help but notice something wrong  with the statue of Alexander the Great on his horse.The horse stands on 2 legs.As it is known 2 legs=died in battle.However history teaches us that he died from food poisoning or agony.I did a little research and all the statues of Alexander on his horse are with 2 feet on the ground.Why is that? 
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2014 at 14:59
Originally posted by iamsherlock

As it is known 2 legs=died in battle.

I don't understand this equation

also there are different statues

two legs
https://photos.travelblog.org/Photos/98081/441647/f/4321967-Alexander-the-Great-Statue-0.jpg

three legs
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/56587738.jpg

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2014 at 15:08
We see the same thing about several other conquerors, like Nadir Shah:

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 14-Sep-2014 at 15:09
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2014 at 05:12
Yes it is very disputable:Did he live live from "scripts" or he die in battle and someone create "smurf's" remake of history?LOL

Edited by medenaywe - 15-Sep-2014 at 05:13
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2014 at 08:53
In many years of study of Art History, I haven't heard of "2 legs, died in battle".  There are many hundreds of bronze statues of historic figures on horseback.  Never heard that one before.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2014 at 09:54
Originally posted by red clay

In many years of study of Art History, I haven't heard of "2 legs, died in battle".  There are many hundreds of bronze statues of historic figures on horseback.  Never heard that one before.

Concur. The positioning of a hoof or appearance of legs on a beast. Indicating a particular symbolism or representation of how the rider died or was wounded is urban legend.

It's a particularly found, fond misrepresentation by Southern sympathizers reference the ACW.

Research will show that many depictions and claims are false as to the actual condition and disposition of the rider. Making the representation of the animal at best, either coincidental, or at worst, immaterial, reference the various interpretations; assigned viz the urban legend.

Otoh, there are also a very few examples that would indicate that the assignment of a particular outcome of the rider was accurate.

Sam Houston for example has a statue in Houston,Tx., showing him astride his horse leading his men at San Jacinto. The horse's right leg is raised indicating that Houston was wounded during the battle.

And he was.

Bur not in the right ankle viz a musket shot; which was reported as factual for decades.....but his left.

So as ole Red would indicate....tis highly doubtful. And if that's not good enough; my god daughter/first cousin, (who shall remain unnamed) is a art librarian and historian; who confirms him as well.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2014 at 10:05
A side note-  Phila. has an area in Fairmount Park that is called "the Land of Lost Sculpture" by artists and art students.  Over the years folks have donated statues of historic figures to the city. Most are either bad reps or of someone obscure. There are many statues of Washington on horseback and the horses legs are in many posistions. 
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
luiji79 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote luiji79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2014 at 17:48
I believe they have found Alexander's tomb .Excavations in Amphipolis found a skeleton which is 1,65 height close to Alexander's height.  http://www.thetombofamphipolis.com  Great site following the latest news of the tomb of Amphipolis.Great articles.It's my favourite
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2014 at 19:53
Very interesting site. Good find.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

luiji79 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote luiji79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2014 at 15:16
If anybody is intersted I was up a site called                    http://www.thetombofamphipolis.com/the-tomb-of-amphipolis-photo-of-the-dead/        which has a lot of answers about this question and lately they have found a skeleton and there are photos.they believe it belongs to alexander the great

Edited by luiji79 - 15-Dec-2014 at 15:17
 Post Reply Post Reply