Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Praetorian Guard, overrated?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Publius View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Publius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Praetorian Guard, overrated?
    Posted: 21-Aug-2014 at 15:53
While reading Robert Fabbri's excellent "Vespasian" series, I suddenly realised that the Praetorian Guard (who are heavily featured in the books) might well be very overrated as a fighting force. Despite their reputation as an elite unit, there seems to have been no occasion historically when they performed more spectacularly than regular legionaries. Of course, they were certainly good soldiers but I don't feel there is sufficient evidence to conclude that they were the ancient equivalent of Delta Force, either.

Star
I will find a way, or make one- Hannibal
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2014 at 20:21
They had a long heritage. Not just as bodyguards of emperors but as the same for generals as far back as the Scipio's cir: 275BC. Though it might be perilous to directly assign them as synonymous..as that remains a point of contention amongst the subject experts.

Consequently their history and formation, organization and usage to include political, was an evolving one.

Generally they are accredited with yeomanry work in quelling cases of rebellion in company with other legions. Drusus and Germanicus in Germany for example.

Fighting for Otho and others etc. later in the 3rd ce.AD also solidified their reputation.

However, as this is not my specific field..I would ntl concur with your overall assessment. The greater usage,imo, was in the field of political machinations and Emperor creation.

There are any number of good historical sources on the PG..I recommend you investigate them. Best of luck.

CV

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 22-Aug-2014 at 20:32
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Post Reply Post Reply