Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

70,000 year-old African settlement unearthed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70,000 year-old African settlement unearthed
    Posted: 22-Jul-2014 at 18:40
Hell that's older than ole Red, MM, Opus(on vacation again)and me (sometimes in my right mind or not) put together.

''The site known as Affad 23, is currently the only one recorded in the Nile Valley which shows that early Homo sapiens built sizeable permanent structures, and had adapted well to the wetland environment.

This new evidence points to a much more advanced level of human development and adaptation in Africa during the Middle Palaeolithic.''

So much for Göbekli Tepe. Well just goes to show that all you naysayers, with certain individuals excepted, have got do dah on your faces.

Again.

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 22-Jul-2014 at 23:20
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2014 at 23:05
put the limk CV!You are the only one that knows the facts.Regards.Smile
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2014 at 10:40
I wonder if they have determined if this site is from before, or after, the Toba eruption event.  Even scientists sometimes forget about it.

I believe there are many more sites such as this.  They could well be much more advanced than this, but are under the 30' ft. deep ash layer left by the eruption.

One day they might find DNA from before the eruption.  Considering that humans were reduced to less than 10,000, there were many bloodlines extinguished at that time.  Many surprises await!

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2014 at 18:06
The jury is not in yet.

The key word in the article linked is "estimate", which is science-speak for "maybe, but we can't really say for sure".

That being said, we still don't know very much about the history of our world, and thanks to human development. So much history has been destroyed for shopping malls, parking lots and freeways, all of it irrecoverable, that we likely never will know the whole story.

The Gobla temple site is a poor comparison, since it is a site of an entirely different nature and purpose.  One thing to build houses - something else entirely to build  massive temple structures.

Try comparing stone huts built on the shores of the North Sea with Stonehenge, for example.  Quantum level of technological difference and logistical requirements.

Or take the Egyptians - they had settlements for a long time before they started building pyramids and huge stone monuments.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2014 at 18:08
Originally posted by red clay

I wonder if they have determined if this site is from before, or after, the Toba eruption event.  Even scientists sometimes forget about it.

I believe there are many more sites such as this.  They could well be much more advanced than this, but are under the 30' ft. deep ash layer left by the eruption.

One day they might find DNA from before the eruption.  Considering that humans were reduced to less than 10,000, there were many bloodlines extinguished at that time.  Many surprises await!

Got a link to the official census site?

Truth is, no one has the slightest idea what the world population might have been during those ancient times.  No one kept any records, let alone went around counting themselves.

Only 30 feet of ash?  We have ash layers several hundred feet thick right here in Colorado.  Thirty feet isn't enough to hide anything for very long.

Edited by Mountain Man - 24-Jul-2014 at 18:10
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2014 at 09:42
Originally posted by Mountain Man

Originally posted by red clay

Got a link to the official census site?

Truth is, no one has the slightest idea what the world population might have been during those ancient times.  No one kept any records, let alone went around counting themselves.

Only 30 feet of ash?  We have ash layers several hundred feet thick right here in Colorado.  Thirty feet isn't enough to hide anything for very long.

I thought that the genetic bottleneck was common knowledge, guess not.  Geneticists have known of this for years, they just aren't sure as to why.
Approx. 70,000 ybp, the human pop. was reduced to less than 10,000. 

You don't need records or a census, it's in the genetic record.

The general consensus is that Toba caused a nuke winter.  As to the ash layer, that might be an average depth, I don't know.
What I do know is that Toba spewed 700 cubic miles of ash and magma.  In contrast, Krakatoa, the biggest eruption in modern times, only produced 3 cubic miles.

Edited by red clay - 25-Jul-2014 at 09:47
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2014 at 13:49
"It's in the genetic record" that we currently know about.  That's a long way from a definitive answer.

Science of late has started making assumptions long before they have definitive proof.

Considering the "proof" also presented often enough about isolated populations, particularly on remote islands and in massively overgrown regions such as South America,  I question the assumption, which appears no more accurate than the intial claims that "we all came from a single source in Africa, now a disputed claim which isn't holding up any better than the old "Adam and Eve" nonsense.

There are seven billion people on the planet right now.  Unless and until every single one of them has been tested and compared, these claims are premature.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2014 at 08:19
Originally posted by Mountain Man

"It's in the genetic record" that we currently know about.  That's a long way from a definitive answer.

Science of late has started making assumptions long before they have definitive proof.

Considering the "proof" also presented often enough about isolated populations, particularly on remote islands and in massively overgrown regions such as South America,  I question the assumption, which appears no more accurate than the intial claims that "we all came from a single source in Africa, now a disputed claim which isn't holding up any better than the old "Adam and Eve" nonsense.

There are seven billion people on the planet right now.  Unless and until every single one of them has been tested and compared, these claims are premature.

Strictly conjecture on your part.  It goes against 30 years research by Geneticists.  The bottleneck is there and very real.  The controversey is about what caused it.

Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply