Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your Favourite Historical People

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your Favourite Historical People
    Posted: 25-Dec-2005 at 03:21
Originally posted by flyingzone

Originally posted by Maju

I actually find that even the best ones are too imperfect to be admired and that the most admirable are probably anonymous. I won't post a list therefore. 

Maju, your view is a little cynical but I definitely understand it. That's why I myself only mentioned two (not counting the three living ones). I cannot with my conscience call ruthless emperors and conquerors my favorite historical people even though they may be considered heros by many.

Please also note how few female historical people are being mentioned ...

I took "favorite historical people" simply to mean someone that you find fascinating, interesting, etc. Not necessarily a saint or hero, just someone that you like to read about or study. By no means do I consider Rasputin or Elizabeth Bathory heroes, or for that matter any of the people on my list, but nonetheless I do own books on them and find them to be interesting people in history, and therefore they are some of my "favorite historical people".

In regards to the lack of females on the lists....

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2005 at 08:22
Interesting historical people? Too many then:

Revolutionaries and simmilar: Felix Likiniano, Federico Krutwig, Buenaventura Durruti, El Che, Emiliano Zapata, Makhno, Rosa Luxemburg, Mao Zedong, Paul Lafargue, Mohandas Ghandi, Spartakus, Ulrike Meinhoff, etc.

Military commanders: Napoleon Bonaparte, Toms Zumalakarregi, Leon Trotsky, Hannibal the Great, Julius Caesar, etc.

Monarchs and simmilar: Ludwig of Bavaria (the crazy king), Abd al-Rhaman III (the Caliph), Sancho III the Great, Pope Alexander VI, Cesare Borgia, Charles (IV) of Viana, Hatsepsut, etc.

Philosophers and other intelectuals: Spinoza, Machiavelli, Marx, Engels, Kropotkin, Bakunin, Proudhom, Marija Gimbutas, Ana Cachafeiro, Casilda Rodrigez, Toni Negri, etc.

Sailors and Pirates: Juan Sebastian Elkano, the Barbarossa brothers, Leif Eriksson, Hanno, etc.

Scientists and Wizards: Copernicus, Leonardo, Paracelsus, Einstein, Chandrasekar, Konrad Lorenz, Benoit Mandelbrot, Jacques Cousteau, Alfred Wallace, etc.

Consorts and Whores: Lucrecia Borgia, Lola Montes, etc.

Artists: The Clash, Eskorbuto, Silvio Rodrguez, Antonio Machado, Charles Baudelaire, Jack Kerouac, William S. Burroughs, Robert Capa, David Cronenberg, etc.

Other: Valerie Solanas (what cathegory can you put her in?)

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2005 at 09:32

My favourites

Prophet Muhammad, Peace Be Upon Him

All other Prophets, Peace be to all of them

Caliph Omer

Fatih Sultan Mehmed

Tarik ibn Ziyad

Salahudin Ayyubi

Jengiz Han (Genghiz Khan)

Ibn Sina

Alexender

Lala Mustafa Pasha

Dr. Fazil Kucuk

Rauf R. Denktas

Osman (Islamoglu) Batur

Alija Izetbegovic

Yasar Arafat

Edited by OSMANLI
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2005 at 15:37
King Solomon.
Hiram Usta.
Hiram Abif.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 17:22

all persons who preach and exemplify love, peace, happiness, eternal life

Ghandi

Dalai Lama

Marx?

possibly robespierre

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 17:23
and all the prophets
Hector Victorious View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Hector Victorious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 20:14

Heres one i think should be up their: Henry Ford

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2005 at 13:20

My Favourites:

1. Winston Churchill

2. Napoleon Bonaparte

3. Frederick the Great

4. Genghis Khan

5. Alexander the Great

6. Niccolo Machiavelli

Member of IAEA
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2006 at 12:32

Churchill's contempt for Gandhi is well-known. But the extent of such contempt has recently been revealed by newly-released archives. Churchill expressed that he's willing to let Gandhi die if he went on hunger strikes when he was interned during the war.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060101/wl_asia_afp/britainindi ahistorygandhi_060101043147

For more information on Churchill's view on Gandhi, go to:

http://www.hindu.com/mag/2005/06/19/stories/2005061900060300 .htm

Churchill and Gandhi

By Ramachandra Guha

`Frankly, if you had to choose the greater man between Gandhi and Churchill, there's no contest.' A.A. GILL

UNSYMPATHETIC: Winston Churchill on Mahatma Gandhi. PHOTOS: THE HINDU PHOTO LIBRARY

IN my last column, I wrote about Winston Churchill's dislike of Indians in general. Let me now turn to his dislike of one Indian in particular; Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi. As an Englishman opposed to Indian independence, Churchill was naturally unsympathetic to the leader of the national movement. But there was more it was the character of Gandhi, as much as the causes he fought for, that attracted Churchill's displeasure. There was a fundamental incompatibility not just of political ideas, but of personalities as well. As his biographer Robert Rhodes-James has pointed out, "the personal qualities, political capacity and national cause of Gandhi were (all) incomprehensible to Churchill."

Churchill's most famous, and famously abusive, words about Gandhi were spoken to an association obscure in its own time and wholly forgotten now.

It was while addressing the Council of the West Essex Unionists on February 23, 1931, that Churchill remarked of how, to him and most likely to much of his audience, it "was alarming to see Mr. Gandhi, a seditious Middle Temple lawyer, now posing as a fakir of a type well known in the East, striding half-naked up the steps of the Viceregal Palace, while he is still organising and conducting a defiant campaign of civil disobedience, to parley on equal terms with the representative of the King-Emperor."

A year previously, Gandhi had launched the Salt Satyagraha, which mobilised hundreds of thousands of Indians to defy colonial laws and ask for an end to colonial rule. This emphatic demonstration of his popular appeal had persuaded the Viceroy to release the Mahatma and begin talks with him. The attempt at opening a dialogue was bitterly opposed by Churchill. He was "against this surrender to Gandhi. I am against these conversations and agreements between Lord Irwin and Mr. Gandhi. Gandhi stands for the expulsion of Britain from India. Gandhi stands for the permanent exclusion of British trade from India. Gandhi stands for the substitution of Brahmin domination for British rule in India. You will never be able to come to terms with Gandhi".

In Churchill's opinion, the Viceroy's agreeing to speak to Gandhi involved a serious loss of face for the British in India. As he put it: "It is never possible to make concessions to Orientals when they think you are weak or afraid of them." In his view, Irwin was too apologetic, too conciliatory in his manner and method, whereas British rule had always rested on assertion and the show of strong authority. And Gandhi took full advantage of this. Speaking at the Constitutional Club on March 26, 1931, Churchill observed that "Gandhi, with deep knowledge of the Indian peoples, by the dress he wore or did not wear, by the way in which his food was brought to him at the Viceregal Palace, deliberately insulted, in a manner which he knew everyone in India would appreciate, the majesty of the King's representative. These are not trifles in the East. Thereby our power to maintain peace and order among the immense masses of India has been sensibly impaired."

UNSYMPATHETIC: Winston Churchill (left) on Mahatma Gandhi. PHOTOS: THE HINDU PHOTO LIBRARY

As an out-of-work politician in the early 1930s, Churchill believed that "Gandhi-ism and all it stands for will, sooner or later, have to be grappled with and finally crushed". A decade later, Churchill was chosen Prime Minister of England. However, he was leading a coalition government, whose Labour members felt that Gandhi had a very good case, for if the British were fighting for their own freedom they could scarcely deny freedom to their colonies. But Churchill was unmoved. Throughout the Second World War he worked hard to scuttle all attempts made in the direction of self-government for Indians. When Gandhi went on fast in 1943, Churchill hoped that he would starve to death. After Gandhi was released in 1944 and began correspondence with the Viceroy of India about a timetable for a possible British withdrawal, Churchill thought "the Viceroy had no business to correspond with a traitor who ought to be put back in prison".

In an article published in the New Statesman in December 2002, the writer A.A. Gill nominated Churchill as his "worst Briton". Apart from those six months in 1940 when he rallied a nation on the brink of defeat, said Gill, everything about Churchill's "wearyingly long public life was self-serving and disastrous". He was an inept Home Secretary, and a worse First Sea Lord. He was responsible for the Dardanelles campaign, the greatest disaster of the first World War. Above all, "he was the worst sort of empire loyalist, desperate to hold on to India, and racist about Gandhi ... ". Gill adds: "Frankly, if you had to choose the greater man between Gandhi and Churchill, there's no contest".

Winston Churchill's dislike of India and Indians is indeed a serious blot on his reputation. All one can say in favour of what he wrote on these subjects is that Churchill's prose remains masterful even in its most bilious moments. One may (and must) deplore what he wrote about Gandhi, but one can at least understand why he won the Nobel Prize for Literature.

Svyturys View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Svyturys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2006 at 13:03

Jan Karol Chodkiewicz(Jonas Karolis Chodkeviius)(Because he is the best etmon of Grand Duchy of Lithuania)

Henry Monte (Herkus Mantas)(Prussian rising, brave man)

Vytout the Great (Vytautas Didysis) (Defended Lithuania how only can, political, or in wars, wanted to be king, but polished attacked mans, who brought crown for him, and stolen it)

Algirdas, Kestutis(Another Dukes of Lithuania. Algird almost takken Moscow, but...)

Vytenis (died approximately in 1315). Lithuanian Grand Duke from 1295 to 1315. Vytenis defeated the Polish army in a battle near Trojanow and won against the Livonian Order in Turaida battle. He entered into an alliance with Riga and reinforced the western frontier of Lithuania.

Damn i won't mean every. But almost all dukes (till Vytautas, and with him) of Lithuania made brave things.

http://www.lietuva.lt/index.php?Lang=5&ItemId=29468

Every moment, like last, neither earth, nor sky don't calculate time. Left only one heart in scorched bosom. Throbing only drums again, calling us into battle.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2006 at 00:23
Originally posted by Hector Victorious

Heres one i think should be up their: Henry Ford

Yeah, if you like virulently anti-semetic nazi sympathizers, sure.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2006 at 00:57
 Many from all cultures , But so as not to Ignore the Black Ancients Ill have to set aside these new era greats. and Inject into this strickly new european Supremist global awarness thing going on. Do not be afraid of the enriched Melanin skinned people on this planet. They will not disappear because you will it with all your best efforts and forgtten truths will surface despite your best efforts.
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2006 at 20:35
Of all the people on my list, I thought Churchill would be the least contentious.
Member of IAEA
Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2006 at 20:55
Prince Lazar

Ghandi

Jaques Cartier

Prophet Muhammed

Moses

Jesus Christ
Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2006 at 20:56
*Forgot some people*

Achilles

Alexsander the Great

Sultan

Hannibal Barca View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Hannibal Barca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2006 at 23:08

Hannibal

Erwin J. Rommel

Arthur Wellesley(The First Duke of Wellington)

Napoleon I

Subudei

Alexander III(the Great)

Frederick II (the Great)

Henri de la Tour d'Auvergne, Vicomte de Turenne (Turenne)

Darius I

Phillip II

Charlemagne

Alexander Suvorov

Julius Caesar

Publius Cornelius Scipio the Younger

Belisarius

Justinian I

Attila

Chinggis Khan

Batu Khan

MacArthur

Yamamoto

Thomas Jackson (Stonewall)

Robert Edward Lee

William Sherman( he was a jackass)

Lord Horatio Nelson

and many more.....

Edited by Hannibal Barca
"In the absence of orders go find something and kill it!"

-Field MArshall Erwin Rommel
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2006 at 21:50
1. Ronald Reagan (he is the man)
2. Margaret Thatcher (awsome woman)
3. Otto van Bismarck (i liek him cause he kicked french butt)
4. King ferdinand of Aragorn (United the penisula) "well most of it anyways"
5. Belisarius
6. Abe "Honest" Lincoln
7. Lawrence of Arabia (he looks awsome in that arab cloak)
cebeci View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote cebeci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 15:55
Originally posted by bosnian ruler

Sokollu Mehmed Pasha was a Bosniak and his real name is not as you wrote it but Mehmed Pasha Sokolovic..bosniaks are proud of him and he did so much for Bosnia when he had power

[/QUOTE

wasn't he a serbian, and his father a bishop??

wasn't he a serbian, and his father a bishop??

history is just a repetation of itself
cebeci View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote cebeci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 15:58

a misquoting,sorry

my question still valid

history is just a repetation of itself
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 17:16
Mesrob Mashdots
Pope John Pope II
Alexander Fleming
Louis Pasteur
Woodrow Wilson
Vartan Mamikonian
Aram Khachaturian
Mozart
Napoleon Bonaparte
Robespierre
Armin T. Wegner
Tigranes II The Great