Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cancer in history

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sidney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sidney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cancer in history
    Posted: 05-Apr-2014 at 17:43
Who are some of the famous historical people who have died of cancer?

I know that the further back in time you go, the diagnostic analysis of the cause of death might be more conjecture than medical fact, but just curious if a list could be made.
Desafinado View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Desafinado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2014 at 10:32
According to wikipedia people didn't start to understand what Cancer was until around the 17th century, so any further back then that it'd be almost impossible to verify. I don't know my medical history that well but I can't imagine diagnosis got much better until the 19th or even 20th century, so a list would likely start around there.  
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2014 at 11:11
I know that Cancer was known of in the first half of the 19th cent.  In NJ there was James Still, also known as the "Black Doctor of the Pines".  He was a studied and talented herbalist.  He was well known for treating various types of cancer.  People traveled from all over to be treated by him.

Unfortunately, due to the racism that existed then, his notes and records were destroyed when he died.

MountainMan is an MD.  Perhaps he has more actual info.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Sidney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Sidney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2014 at 17:45
Empress Theodora supposedly died of breast cancer. Any truth in this, or is it part of cancer myth?
Sidney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Sidney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2014 at 06:15
Oscar Wilde's niece, Dolly Wilde, also died of breast cancer.
 Post Reply Post Reply