Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Downplaying how powerful charismatic figures were

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Barkey Foreman View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Barkey Foreman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Downplaying how powerful charismatic figures were
    Posted: 17-Mar-2014 at 19:33

Its so common knowledge of how evil Hitler was that we in this modern age are absolutely dumbfounded at how he was ever able to rise into power. The common explanation popular media and general history books bring is that the German people who supported Hitler as a whole were the stupid masses who were uneducated. The next common explanation was that the Germans were suffering from such a desperate situation with a terrible economy, humiliation from the war,etc. 

However both answers while legit to an extent ignores some factors. 

1)Germany was one of the MOST WELL-EDUCATED population in the world and easily the most educated in Europe. This alone wipes out answer #1. 

2)Even the rich upperclasses who lived in luxuries SUPPORTED the Nazi party 

3)This wasn't the first time Germany faced such a huge economic crises (or more accurately at least the German people). The Napoleonic Wars devastation of the country is one such example. 

I think what often fails to be taken into account is just how CRAZILY ******* CHARISMATIC Adolf Hitler was. 

In fact I notice today us modern folks have ahard time comprehending how people can follow one random person to start a riot or progrom minorities or go to war or such. Not just Hitler but people in this modern age are flabbagastered by the stupidity how the masses can follow a single person who's even unqualified to be a leader. In other words we in this modern age cannot understand the word "charisma". 

I'll use myself as an example. I was never the "follow the leader" type of person who preferred to be a rugged nonconformist. 

Until I watched Rose of Versailles. The protagonists of this work of fiction is arguably one of the MOST CHARISMATIC HEROINES in all of fiction and at the very least one of the top 5 most charismatic female protagonist in anime/manga, if not #1. Even people who aren't into anime/manga find themselves enchanted by Oscar Francois de Jarjayes. 

As I was watching I was at a loss of words of what a regal and heroic aura Oscar inspired. I COULD HAVE SWORN had I been in the French Revolution I would have followed her to the end. I mean for the first time in my life when I was watching Rose of Versailles years ago I wanted to copy someones style from dress they wore to their mannerisms and so forte. She simply inspires such POWER. 

After entering the Versailles fandom whenever I read about Adolf Hitler I couldn't help but wonder if he oozed the same charisma Oscar had, if not more. After I watched some German clips of him even taking into consideration of how evil he was I was simply magnified by his presence. Just a typical speech and he was giving an aura of magnificent power! Years prior I was with the crowd that Hitler was a ******* lunatic and couldn't comprehend why anyone would follow him. 

So whenever people do evil stuff like start civil wars simply because they are enchanted by one person, I no longer scoff. I now understand why they are so easily sheep-its not because they are weak minded fools who can't think for themselves but because the one they follow have such CHARISMA. I now understand completley what CHARISMA is!!! 

What do you think? Do you think historians and others who try to analyze the past downplay how much CHARISMA leads a person to power and is the catalyst for historical events?
 Post Reply Post Reply