Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

300: Rise Of An Empire, another anti-Iranian movie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 300: Rise Of An Empire, another anti-Iranian movie
    Posted: 06-Mar-2014 at 02:39
http://www.avclub.com/review/even-more-so-part-one-300-rise-empire-rotten-power-201838
By Ignatiy Vishnevetsky
Mar 6, 2014 12:00 AM

Those who can look past the fact that 300: Rise Of An Empire depicts a war between white people (technically orange people, per the movie’s color scheme) who “don’t negotiate with tyrants” and the brown people who hate their freedom may be able to enjoy it as a slice of bronzed and bloody beefcake kitsch. An awkward spin-off of Zack Snyder’s macho death fantasy 300, Rise Of An Empire retains the earlier film’s hyper-stylized, digital backlot slickness, but without the Spartan rah-rah-rah that has ensured 300’s enduring popularity. In its place is uninspiring jingoism, pitting the blue-cloaked Athenians, upholders of democracy, against the evil Achaemenid Empire, made up of Persians—and therefore Iranians—who wear anachronistic turbans. It’s a movie viewers are supposed to get off to, though anyone who just wants to watch waxed, ripped guys running, jumping, and thrusting (this is one of those cases where a sword isn’t just a sword) while wearing leather briefs may find their enjoyment soured by the perverse political power fantasies which are the film’s raison d’être.

Led by Themistokles (Sullivan Stapleton), the outnumbered Athenians disembowel their way through the faceless (literally—the villains wear balaclavas and metal masks) Achaemenid horde, occasionally stopping to look off into the distance while thinking aloud about the brutality of war. About half of the film is in slow motion, with blood—thick, strawberry-jam-like, resembling the gore in a Build engine game—spurting out in all directions. The Athenians are merciless because they represent a higher ideal; the Achaemenid are merciless because they are the bad guys. During the naval battles, which make up most of the movie, the Achaemenids cruelly lash their galley slaves, while Athenian triremes are powered by the democratic values of young men who have chosen to row of their own free will.  

There’s an irony here: Out of all the Ancient Greek city-states, Athens depended the most on slave labor, while the real-life Achaemenid Empire did not practice slavery. Athens also distinguished itself from its neighbors by granting women absolutely no legal rights. Even by the standards of the time, Athenian society was notoriously xenophobic. Their legal system was a joke and their foreign policy was brutal. In fact, aside from practicing a political system called “democracy”—open to only a small portion of the population and empowered by widespread slavery—Athens was hardly a model society. The Achaemenids, in the meantime, built roads and infrastructure, ensured religious freedom, established a postal service, and generally set the standard for large governments for centuries to come.

Why quibble with the historical details of a movie like Rise Of An Empire? Because, the way in which the movie—which is based on an unpublished Frank Miller comic—lionizes the Athenians reveals its values. Athenian misogyny is passed over, because the movie conveniently features only two female characters, neither of whom is Athenian: the Spartan queen Gorgo (Lena Headey) and the Carian commander Artemisia (Eva Green, wearing history’s first pair of hidden wedges). Visually, the Achaemenids are associated with black leather and gold, a look that’s half space-Nazi, half Yeezus tour. The diversity of their empire is underscored—perhaps as a way of avoiding accusations of vilifying one particular ethnic group—while the Athenians look so alike that it becomes difficult to tell characters apart.

The Achaemenids are a flashy, gold-chain-wearing group, composed of assorted peoples of color in baggy clothes and led by a treacherous, sexually aggressive woman. The Athenians are protecting the core values of modern Western society, and, as it happens, are composed entirely of white men without body hair or pants. Director Noam Murro and co-writers Snyder and Kurt Johnstad are probably not racists, misogynists, or xenophobes. However, not being a bigot doesn’t preclude acting like one. Actions, not intentions, hold value.

Greeks

Persians
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2014 at 05:10
How can those movies be anti-iranian, they are about Greeks and Persians?
Of course the Persians are shown in these movies in a completely unhistoric way. But it is based on a cartoon, like Mickey Mouse or Superman. The intention of the movies, as I understand it, is just to show as much action and blood as possible and for simple minds, there are simple characters, the good and the evil.
Not really a reason for Iranians to be offended.
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2014 at 06:33
beorna, what do you think about a movie which depicts your nation as demons? Xerxes was one of the greatest men in our history, you can't compare him to Mickey Mouse, Superman or other fictional characters, you certainly insult to a nation by demonising or mocking their heroes.
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2014 at 07:03
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

beorna, what do you think about a movie which depicts your nation as demons? Xerxes was one of the greatest men in our history, you can't compare him to Mickey Mouse, Superman or other fictional characters, you certainly insult to a nation by demonising or mocking their heroes.

I am German, are you serious. I can't count the movies in which germans are shown as evil monsters, stupid roboters, militaristic idiots or our Germanic ancestors as uncivilised fur wearing barbarians.
Some time ago Alexander was shown in a movie as homophil. The was an outcry in Greece. The same stupid behaviour.
These people are dead for more than thousands years, indeed for several thousand of years. I think it would need some coolness. If people don't like such movies, don't look them.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2014 at 07:06
It is virtual story Cyrus like most of them that come from Hollywood!Even if agree about it,that all of
them have had hidden message inside!Regards!
Kevinmeath View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Kevinmeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2014 at 16:21
Are films like 'Eagle' 'Centurion' 'Gladiator' or ' Spartacus' anti Italian because they are not always accurate about the 2,000 year old Roman Empire that happened to be based in Italy.
cymru am byth
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2014 at 16:32
Yes it can be but even the story is romatic nationalistic, what are you expecting? 300 men stopping thounsands persians...

also it is very bad movie for me. Everything is coming from computer in the movie, there is no reality Dead

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2014 at 23:37
I really agree with Cyrus, but from some what different reasons.

But Cyrus does have a reason at todays times.

Ron
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Stefanos View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Stefanos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2014 at 15:54
Well...Unfortunately the actual history around both movies (300 and 300:Rise of an Empire) is so much more fascinating and entertaining than what was depicted.

Cyrus - you do have a point (and this is coming from a Greek-American) in that the portrayal of the Persians is not accurate. Neither is the portrayal of the Greeks. They have Queen Gorgos fighting in battle(?) The whole thing is a bit FANTASTIC, but at least it brings awareness and hopefully it will cause enquiring minds to do more research. In today's age one can spend an hour or two researching and will soon get a better understanding of what actually happened.

Having said that - there is the basis of both movies that is true. Persia was an autocratic Empire that expanded to it's size by conquering territory. The premise of this autocratic empire taking over "free citizens" is correct, and the premise of the various Greek City-States uniting in order to stop this force is correct. Additionally the premise of small forces stopping a significantly larger force is also correct.
Patritha!
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2014 at 18:24
I cannot be too specific, but I really doubt you can certify
that the "actual history" has any basis in fact. That is, just
what "proofs" can you present!

Ron
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
namelessism View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote namelessism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2014 at 03:05
Does the average Iranian really think this movie is an attempt to brainwash the American public to hate Iran? I just don't understand that. First, the average American has no idea that "persia" and Iran have any relation at all. Secondly, I realize other countries may not watch movies the same way...this is a cheesy action fantasy - nobody thinks this is a historical film. Our society is built on diversity - every school in America is filled with middle eastern children, black children, Asian children, European. The last time I remember hearing "Persia" in a movie was Kingdom of Heaven...have you watched that? The Persian people were noble and honorable. What about app the anti George bush movies made in America? Movies are written by people. They can write whatever they want. What decides if it gets produced or not is will it make money? Swords and muscles loincloths and mysterious bad guys make money, simple as that.
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2014 at 04:12
Originally posted by namelessism

Does the average Iranian really think this movie is an attempt to brainwash the American public to hate Iran? I just don't understand that. First, the average American has no idea that "persia" and Iran have any relation at all.
LOL

Secondly, I realize other countries may not watch movies the same way...this is a cheesy action fantasy - nobody thinks this is a historical film. Our society is built on diversity - every school in America is filled with middle eastern children, black children, Asian children, European. The last time I remember hearing "Persia" in a movie was Kingdom of Heaven...have you watched that?

Is Persia mentioned there, can't remember? But there is as well the movie "Prince of Persia", where the positive character is a Persian.

The Persian people were noble and honorable. What about app the anti George bush movies made in America? Movies are written by people. They can write whatever they want. What decides if it gets produced or not is will it make money? Swords and muscles loincloths and mysterious bad guys make money, simple as that.

I think the mullahs use these movie as evidence for an anti-iranian demagogy in the west against their country. That's all.
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2014 at 04:48
Originally posted by Stefanos

Well...Unfortunately the actual history around both movies (300 and 300:Rise of an Empire) is so much more fascinating and entertaining than what was depicted.

For a movie, which is so unhistoric, it is really entertaining.

Cyrus - you do have a point (and this is coming from a Greek-American) in that the portrayal of the Persians is not accurate. Neither is the portrayal of the Greeks. They have Queen Gorgos fighting in battle(?) The whole thing is a bit FANTASTIC, but at least it brings awareness and hopefully it will cause enquiring minds to do more research. In today's age one can spend an hour or two researching and will soon get a better understanding of what actually happened.

That is widely my point, too. It is so unrealistic, that it will probably have no influence on the view neither on Persians nor on recent Iranians. And we should think as well about the depiction of the ephoroi in that movie. Not really a nice picture.

Having said that - there is the basis of both movies that is true. Persia was an autocratic Empire that expanded to it's size by conquering territory. The premise of this autocratic empire taking over "free citizens" is correct, and the premise of the various Greek City-States uniting in order to stop this force is correct. Additionally the premise of small forces stopping a significantly larger force is also correct.

Here I widely disagree. Of course Persia was typically oriental autocratic reign. But the greeks were far away from "free citizens". Of course we appreciate the Greek democracy today. But we should be aware than in Athens and Sparta and in all the other poleis, the "free Greeks" were a minority. The Greek polis and its democracy was based on slavery. In Sparta, there was a small caste of homoioi, which ruled over perioikoi, neodamoneis, hypomeiones, mothakes and helotes. The power laid in the hands of two kings, some ephoroi and a few rich families.
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2014 at 13:39
Some interesting things can be read about this movie in famous news websites, like this one: http://time.com/17578/300-greece-persians-xerxes/

Zack Snyder and the West Should Stop Killing Ancient Persians

The story of '300: Rise of an Empire' comes from a graphic novel, but it's based on a travesty of history that has long existed in the Western imagination.

Schwartz View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Schwartz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2014 at 03:16
Originally posted by beorna

Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

I am German, are you serious. I can't count the movies in which germans are shown as evil monsters, stupid roboters, militaristic idiots or our Germanic ancestors as uncivilised fur wearing barbarians.
Some time ago Alexander was shown in a movie as homophil. The was an outcry in Greece. The same stupid behaviour.
These people are dead for more than thousands years, indeed for several thousand of years. I think it would need some coolness. If people don't like such movies, don't look them.

I am a big fan of WWII movies. I don't recall movies showing Germans as monsters. In fact usually the more attractive actors are selected to play the role of most Germans not to mention that they usually depicted as smarter but misguided people with many of them being against the one single evil man at top deep in their heart. Which are examples of movies in which Germans look physically or intellectually inferior people like the enemy in 300
The only thing worse than making a movie with racist agenda influenced by current affairs is to come up with excuses like. It was for the money, or nobody knows the connection between ancients and current people
Karlaswagnaz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Karlaswagnaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2014 at 01:50
When I see a good film about Cyrus the Great on Hollywood, I will say they aren't anti-Iranians. There is a great book by Harold Lamb, and the Ciropaedia has a lot of information, they could be a great film, but there aren't nobody in Hollywood who likes to tell good stories about Iranians. The last good film about an Iranian, Der Medicus, a German film.
Stars die and reborn...
Hourosh View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Hourosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2014 at 12:34
People who say that it's "just a movie" are very selfish and if this exact movie was aimed at their own culture they would probably feel offended deep inside. Because this movie and the one before did not just give a wrong presentation of ancient Persia,it presented it in the most offensive, disgusting,brutal and twisted way for a certain culture to be shown in a movie. This is called Cultural Terrorism and Hollywood has a long history of this, but never in the history of mankind a movie mistreated a culture more than these two movies.
Mighty Marduk View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Mighty Marduk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2014 at 11:51
I didn't watch the original 300 and I suppose that I shall avoid to watch this movie as well.

EDITED: But then again I think that people have to thin skin in general. I've seen Viking movies which depicts the Norsemen in less than favorable light and I don't feel offended by it.

Edited by Mighty Marduk - 26-Aug-2014 at 11:52
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2014 at 18:14
Well, movies are for entertainment, not for study of history. I don't see anyone getting angry over Star Trek because the Reman are presented ugly and revolting, while Remulans are not. I consider every movie production a fiction, nothing more, and don't see a reason to get incensed over what is made solely to provide escape after a hard day's work.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2014 at 00:09
Imagine a day after fall of civilisation we live,people find full library with CD's from Hollywood and pronounce it reliable historical record!Regards Don.Nice to see you around.Smile

Edited by medenaywe - 31-Aug-2014 at 02:57
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>