Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Realism and naturalism!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Realism and naturalism!
    Posted: 16-May-2005 at 16:13
I just want to know their difference. Natrualism by Zola was very realistic to me and a pretty dry piece of work from the life we really live. Both seem to portray everything as it is, but i must have missed their biggest difference in literature class.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2005 at 13:15

Src: Wikipedia

Naturalism is an outgrowth of realism, a prominent literary movement in late 19th century France and elsewhere.

Naturalistic writers were influenced by the evolution theory of Charles Darwin. They believed that one's heredity and surroundings decide one's character. Whereas realism seeks only to describe subjects as they really are, naturalism also attempts to determine "scientifically" the underlying forces (i.e. the environment or heredity) influencing these subjects' actions. They are both opposed to romanticism, in which subjects may receive highly symbolic, idealistic, or even supernatural treatment. Naturalistic works often include uncouth or sordid subject matter. For example, Emile Zola's works had a frankness about sexuality along with a pervasive pessimism.

Edited by Imperator Invictus
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2005 at 15:26
Thank you for responding.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
 Post Reply Post Reply