Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Art Identification - Sack of Troy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
niedzielski View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote niedzielski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Art Identification - Sack of Troy
    Posted: 26-Jan-2014 at 18:53
Hello,

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could identify the artist of this work of art. The photo is a sreen shot from a documentary called Troy. As the painting is on screen, the narrator is narrating the immediate outcome of the ploy of the wooden horse, saying "Priam's sons were slautghered; Cassandra raped...".

I have had no success with google, though much time did I spend trying.

Thank you

TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2014 at 20:03
Welcome to the forum, niedzielski. The painting from which your shot is taken is called Andromache, by a nineteenth century French painter called Georges-Antoine Rochegrosse.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote niedzielski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2014 at 21:37
Genius artists.

Thank you for your welcome and prompt response.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2014 at 22:15
I merely see that the artist noted that the girls seemed to give a lot of "head!" smile!

But! Did anyone notice that the artist did seem to depict the "swastika" in blood upon the wall?

Weird is it not?

Ron

Edited by opuslola - 26-Jan-2014 at 22:17
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote niedzielski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2014 at 23:05

An opulence of wisdom there is in your observations.

The swastika was a common motif in antiquity, though commonly as a meander. As the symbol is often interpreted to symbolize perpetual (circular) motion, perhaps Rochegrosse intended to suggest the turning fates of fortune, as in the Carmina Burana:

Fortune rota volvitur: _The wheel of Fortune turns;
descendo minoratus; _ I go down, demeaned;
alter in altum tollitur; _ another is raised up;
nimis exaltatus ______ far too high up
rex sedet in verticesits _the king at the summit -
caveat ruinam! _______let him fear ruin!
nam sub axe legimus __for under the axis is written
Hecubam reginam.____Queen Hecuba

The Son of Atreus and King of Men was murdered as soon as he came home. What's weird is that no one believed Cassandra.

Furthermore, note the conquerors turned conquered when the descendants of Aeneas came to dominate Greece in the name of Rome. So much, as Plato says, for such matters, as Plutarch says.

Edited by niedzielski - 26-Jan-2014 at 23:46
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2014 at 23:53
niedzielski, Thanks I think!

Yes I do tend to notice small events portrayed in paintings, etc.

But, sorry I do not entirely understand your posting!

Of course the usage of the swastika is supposedly very ancient, and as far as I know the direction of the wings is to mean something?

Do you know?

Regards, Ron
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2014 at 00:06
The use of the symbol we're calling a swastika in the painting was a symbol widely use with the meaning fresh, pious, happy, free, although in that form it was first used in Germany, or should I say what would become Germany, and was made up of four "F"s and popularized by a Friedrich Ludwig Jahn. The four German words being Frisch Fromm, Fröhlich, Frei.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2014 at 00:14
Dear TDAR, I will merely say that you made a very good reply to a painting that shows lovely naked, full breasted young girls, on their backs, with a shower of beheaded males to their right! Right?

Did you not understand my mention of "giving head?"???

The young girls in this painting seem to be in very good shape!

Are they awaiting more studs? LOL

Ron

Edited by opuslola - 27-Jan-2014 at 00:19
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2014 at 00:40
Originally posted by opuslola

Dear TDAR, I will merely say that you made a very good reply to a painting that shows lovely naked, full breasted young girls, on their backs, with a shower of beheaded males to their right! Right?

Did you not understand my mention of "giving head?"???

The young girls in this painting seem to be in very good shape!

Are they awaiting more studs? LOL

Ron

I guess I missed all that, opuslola. Come to think of it, there's but one female form in the painting, that of Andromache herself. There is also evidence of the other meanings of Andromache too, the man made conflict, and the tragedy.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2014 at 10:45
Just an addition, the swastika appears globally.  The Anazasi and the Navajo used it extensively in their motifes.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Sidney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Sidney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2014 at 18:44
The painting was first exhibited in 1883, and Rochegrosse probably got his inspiration for the swastika from the published works of Heinrich Schliemann, who on excavating the site of Troy had found numerous objects bearing the swastika design.

Here is a page from Schliemann's 1875 book "Troy and Its Remains":

AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2014 at 09:52
Good call, Sidney! (Somewhat sheepish Alani Dragon, for forgetting those facts)Embarrassed
 Post Reply Post Reply