Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Irish are Really the Sons of Mil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Online Status: Offline
  Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Irish are Really the Sons of Mil
    Posted: 28-Dec-2013 at 19:56
beorna: There is a good article at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celts. You may also care to read J.P. Mallorys Book "The Origins of the Irish". Barry Cunliffe is also worth reading. There are so many scientists who now say that the Celts entered Ireland between about 500BCE and 100 CE, that the evidence really is overwhelming. It's not feasible that Ireland remained unoccupied until the Celts arrived, and there is archeological evidence that points to occupation by people from England and Europe, mainly in the form of weapons and personal items, but also in the construction of homes. Some may have migrated by land bridge, but it seems that the majority of the earliest migration may have been by sea. I haven't read anything authoritative about possible origins of Miletius, whether he was Celtic, Spanish or Egyptian, but I could agree that he actually existed. As for the Book of Invasions-give me a break, it's a book of fairy tales. (Read Wars of the Irish Kings by David Willis McCullough).
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2013 at 08:47
Originally posted by toyomotor

beorna: There is a good article at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celts. You may also care to read J.P. Mallorys Book "The Origins of the Irish". Barry Cunliffe is also worth reading. There are so many scientists who now say that the Celts entered Ireland between about 500BCE and 100 CE, that the evidence really is overwhelming.

The problem with the Celts is, that we have no data before the 5th century and that reliable informations are much younger. Celts are the carriers of the La-Tene-culture, which evolved from the western hallstatt. The hallstatt is differentiated into a western and a eastern part. The eastern part is or evolved to Illyric. So it is as well not sure whether we can already call the people of the western hallstatt celts or if they were not indoeuropeans who evolved into Celts. That*s why I would support any thesis which lets the Celts be much older than 600 BC.
We should as well not expect, that Celts from the eastern France or germany went directly to Ireland. So a Celtic migration to Britain must be older than one to Ireland. The oldest evidence in Britain for celts is probably the Arras culture from the 5th century.

It's not feasible that Ireland remained unoccupied until the Celts arrived, and there is archeological evidence that points to occupation by people from England and Europe, mainly in the form of weapons and personal items, but also in the construction of homes. Some may have migrated by land bridge, but it seems that the majority of the earliest migration may have been by sea.

Of course was Ireland not unoccupied before the Celts. Allthough genetic data is problematically, it seems to be allowed, to connect the pre-celtic inhabitants of Ireland with populations in western gaul and on the Iberian peninsula and of course with pre-celtic populations in Britain.

I haven't read anything authoritative about possible origins of Miletius, whether he was Celtic, Spanish or Egyptian, but I could agree that he actually existed. As for the Book of Invasions-give me a break, it's a book of fairy tales. (Read Wars of the Irish Kings by David Willis McCullough).

Yes, I agree. It is widely a book of mythic stories and biblical fiction.
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2013 at 20:41
beorna: "The problem with the Celts is, that we have no data before the 5th century and that reliable informations are much younger. Celts are the carriers of the La-Tene-culture, which evolved from the western Hallstatt. The Hallstatt is differentiated into a western and a eastern part. The eastern part is or evolved to Illyric. So it is as well not sure whether we can already call the people of the western Hallstatt Celts or if they were not Indo Europeans who evolved into Celts. That*s why I would support any thesis which lets the Celts be much older than 600 BC.
We should as well not expect, that Celts from the eastern France or Germany went directly to Ireland. So a Celtic migration to Britain must be older than one to Ireland. The oldest evidence in Britain for Celts is probably the Arras culture from the 5th century."

I agree with you in that I would also like to see evidence of Celtic existence prior to 600BC. They didn't just appear in a puff of smoke! I would also like to see more evidence of the Celtic origins, although experts say that they originated on the Iberian Peninsula, they share many similarities with Eastern Europeans.

Edited by toyomotor - 29-Dec-2013 at 20:42
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2013 at 08:44

I agree with you in that I would also like to see evidence of Celtic existence prior to 600BC. They didn't just appear in a puff of smoke! I would also like to see more evidence of the Celtic origins, although experts say that they originated on the Iberian Peninsula, they share many similarities with Eastern Europeans.

The problem is, what is a Celt. usually this has to be answered by a linguistic definition. But linguistic evidence is missing for the early times and if we get written sources about the Celts it is often not contemporarily and first of all second hand knowledge.

Well, "experts say....", this is so not correct. Only a minority of experts, especially Cunliffe suppose a western origin of Celts, based e.g. on research like those by Koch about the tartessian inscriptions, which Koch interpretates as Celtic. But this is widely rejected.
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2013 at 20:12
Originally posted by beorna

The problem is, what is a Celt. usually this has to be answered by a linguistic definition. But linguistic evidence is missing for the early times and if we get written sources about the Celts it is often not contemporarily and first of all second hand knowledge.Well, "experts say....", this is so not correct. Only a minority of experts, especially Cunliffe suppose a western origin of Celts, based e.g. on research like those by Koch about the tartessian inscriptions, which Koch interpretates as Celtic. But this is widely rejected.

Yes, I agree. After years of research and discussion, it seems that no really satisfactory answer to the origins of the Celts has been produced. But the majority still prefer the Iberian Peninsula as the "birthplace" of the Celts.
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2013 at 03:15

Yes, I agree. After years of research and discussion, it seems that no really satisfactory answer to the origins of the Celts has been produced.

There is widely satisfying theory about the origins of the Celts. And the knowledge about other people in that eras is not better.

But the majority still prefer the Iberian Peninsula as the "birthplace" of the Celts.

Well, that is simply not correct.
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2013 at 07:03

Yes, I agree. After years of research and discussion, it seems that no really satisfactory answer to the origins of the Celts has been produced.

There is widely satisfying theory about the origins of the Celts. And the knowledge about other people in that eras is not better.

But the majority still prefer the Iberian Peninsula as the "birthplace" of the Celts.
Well, that is simply not correct.

I don't have sufficient knowledge to argue with scientists, but I tend to agree with you.
mojobadshah View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2014 at 18:00
Pretty much every generation that made its way into Ireland according to myth came out of Scythia.  Even Mil came out of Scythia according to the myth.  But there is physical evidence to corroborate a Scythian-Celtic connection.  The fact that the Irish were so adamant that they came out of Scythia, and the Scots, and the Saxons, and the Swedes must mean that there was at least a cultural connection to the Scythians.  
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2014 at 18:16
The greeks divided the barbarian lands north of them into a western keltike and an eastern skythia.The peoplein the middle between those regions were celtoscythians. That was the simple view of the greeks. Even long after the first classification of these kind, and long after it was obvious, that the people in the barbaria were more heterogenous than just celts and scythians, greek scholars used either the term keltoi or skythai for germanics.

When medieval scholar use these terminology, terms like skythia don't mean Scythians, but just people from the middle or eastern europe. Historians, archaeologists, linguists, they all studied Celzs and germanics. No serious scientist would ever classify Celts or germanics as Scythians.
Consul
Consul

Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2014 at 18:29
If they're wearing the same clothes, using the same weapons, and their art is Scythian then their must have been a connection.
Consul
Consul

Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2014 at 18:36
And Scythia was a real place.  All those people refer to it.  The Goths were called Getae and Dacian and these were Scythian people.  Snorri describes Odin's journey out is Asasaland "Asia" and speaks of Turkik lands nearby e.g Turkmenistan.  The dacians bordered Scythia.  
Consul
Consul

Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2014 at 18:37
Sweden is derived from Swithiod or Scythia...
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2014 at 18:37
Originally posted by mojobadshah

If they're wearing the same clothes, using the same weapons, and their art is Scythian then their must have been a connection.

Yes, IF! But Celts and Germanics are clearly different to Scythians.
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2014 at 19:45

Pretty much every generation that made its way into Ireland according to myth came out of Scythia.  Even Mil came out of Scythia according to the myth.  But there is physical evidence to corroborate a Scythian-Celtic connection.  The fact that the Irish were so adamant that they came out of Scythia, and the Scots, and the Saxons, and the Swedes must mean that there was at least a cultural connection to the Scythians.  

I tend to agree with you. I've always suspected that the Celtic migration was from east to west but I've been over-ruled by people far more knowledgeable on the topic. It seems to me that far too little research has been done in the Pontic Steppe area and its people. The fact that no evidence has been found yet does not mean that it isn't there.
Consul
Consul

Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2014 at 20:06
It seems like there is a question as to whether there is physical evidence of a Scythian-Celtic connection.  Is what I've been reading about Scythian forms of clothing, Scythian styled weaponry, and Scythian artforms found in Celtic areas and Scandinavia false?  I would not doubt that the Scythians were in Europe.  They traveled as far east as Japan.  The Iranians in general traveled as far south as Cambodia and Sri Lanka, discovered Australia, and may have even made their way over to the New World in the 3rd century BCE if the Hushein story checks out. 
Consul
Consul

Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2014 at 20:08
correction: 3rd century CE
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2014 at 04:21

It seems like there is a question as to whether there is physical evidence of a Scythian-Celtic connection.  Is what I've been reading about Scythian forms of clothing, Scythian styled weaponry, and Scythian artforms found in Celtic areas and Scandinavia false?  I would not doubt that the Scythians were in Europe.  They traveled as far east as Japan.  The Iranians in general traveled as far south as Cambodia and Sri Lanka, discovered Australia, and may have even made their way over to the New World in the 3rd century BCE if the Hushein story checks out. 

There are cimmero-scythian raids known to Middle europe and we know, that trading connections weren't local in that far days, but already widespread. With such trading foreign styles became known, like the scythian animal style in art. But that is something different than a great scythian migration or that celts and saxons were Scythians. There is also great western and mediterranian e.g. etruscan influence on Celts, which is not making Celts Etruscans.
Consul
Consul

Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2014 at 12:44

There are cimmero-scythian raids known to Middle europe and we know, that trading connections weren't local in that far days, but already widespread. With such trading foreign styles became known, like the scythian animal style in art. But that is something different than a great scythian migration or that celts and saxons were Scythians. There is also great western and mediterranian e.g. etruscan influence on Celts, which is not making Celts Etruscans.

I'm not saying the Celts are Iranian.  The Celts speak Celtic languages and the Iranians speak Iranian languages.  The Iranians who migrated to Europe became the aristocracy.  Clovis called himself a Sicambri "Scythian."  The Queen of England, and all the Presidents of the U.S.A. except for maybe Obama, their line can be traced back to the Scythians.  I don't find it hard to believe their were migrations into Europe including Ireland that left an effect that is lasting to today.       
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2014 at 13:51

I'm not saying the Celts are Iranian.  The Celts speak Celtic languages and the Iranians speak Iranian languages.  The Iranians who migrated to Europe became the aristocracy.  Clovis called himself a Sicambri "Scythian."  The Queen of England, and all the Presidents of the U.S.A. except for maybe Obama, their line can be traced back to the Scythians.  I don't find it hard to believe their were migrations into Europe including Ireland that left an effect that is lasting to today.       

But shouldn't such an Iranian aristocracy leave some traces? Shouldn't there be a remarkable difference between an iranian aristocratical culture and its findings and those of the common people?
Do you have any evidence for your theory?

Not Clovis called himself a Scythian, but Gregor of Tours used the term Sicambri. But why do you translate Sicambri as Scythian?

The Queen of England traces her line back to the Scythians? I am able to trace my noble ancestors far back in time and I even share ancestors with the queen. I can tell you, that there is no Scythian among them, who can be proven. And I strongly doubt, that the US presidents can trace their origins back to the Scythians.
Consul
Consul

Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2014 at 14:20

But shouldn't such an Iranian aristocracy leave some traces? Shouldn't there be a remarkable difference between an iranian aristocratical culture and its findings and those of the common people?
Do you have any evidence for your theory?

Not Clovis called himself a Scythian, but Gregor of Tours used the term Sicambri. But why do you translate Sicambri as Scythian?

The Queen of England traces her line back to the Scythians? I am able to trace my noble ancestors far back in time and I even share ancestors with the queen. I can tell you, that there is no Scythian among them, who can be proven. And I strongly doubt, that the US presidents can trace their origins back to the Scythians.

The Plantagenets were a junior branch of the House of Anjou whose senior branch was the House of Vere whose ancestry was jointly Pictish and Merovingian descending from the ancient Grail House of Scythia.

The Sicambri were Scythians.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>