Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Metric vs Imperial

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Metric vs Imperial
    Posted: 26-Nov-2013 at 15:16
I thought I knew the imperial system, how wrong I was.

Edited by Toltec - 26-Nov-2013 at 15:16
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2014 at 00:15
In Australia we used the Imperial System of Measurement up until about 1973, then it was changed to metric.

If I go to a hardware shop I can buy timber in Metric measurements, but if I go to buy a door, it's in Imperial Measurement. I don't care because I was raised with Imperial, but the younger generation, when asked for a 4 X 2 six feet long, haven't got a clue. Shoes come in various standard sizes, Imperial as we used to know it, Metric European, Metric Chinese and Imperial US. Ask a shop assistant what the differences are and watch them stumble!

Edited by toyomotor - 03-Feb-2014 at 00:17
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2014 at 12:09
Here in the US the Metric system was met with great resistance, until the Booze manufacturers switched over to it.Big smile
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2014 at 12:26
Originally posted by red clay

Here in the US the Metric system was met with great resistance, until the Booze manufacturers switched over to it.Big smile

Bottled and canned beverages are still labeled in Imperial units, and it's still "a fifth of whiskey" and will be for a long, long time to come.  Smile

The military is the most confusing, since it uses a haphazard mixture of both Metric and Imperial units. 

Edited by Mountain Man - 03-Feb-2014 at 12:28
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2014 at 20:06
Originally posted by red clay

So what are the standard size drinks, for example, in a pub?
 Post Reply Post Reply