Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First Empire In History

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
souljahofgod View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote souljahofgod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Empire In History
    Posted: 16-Dec-2006 at 12:06
    seriously people, lets get one thing straight, please define barbarian. macedonians used them for any peoples that were not greek persian or roman. but tell me what you dudes think.
Shiroyeh View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Shiroyeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2006 at 14:50
Originally posted by konstantinius

Originally posted by Khashayarshah

Originally posted by konstantinius

Absolutely not. The Sumer/Akkad Empire and then the first Assyrian Empire were definetely before the Achaemenids. Then, we have the Hittite Empire and that of NK Egypt that extended up to the Lebanese coast.

The first WORLD EMPIRE my friend.

What is that supposed to mean? Did the Persian Empire extend to China or Africa? What is a "world empire", what are its limits and how did it differ from its previous empires?

Sorry to jump in here Cyrus :)

Correct me if I am wrong... Achamenid Persia was the world's first super power, the mightiest empire to ever exist up until that point in time and ruled the majority of the known world.
' How shall a man escape from that which is written; How shall he flee from his destiny? ' Ferdowsi
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 23:01
True indeed, Sargon The Great was the first person on Earth to be known as an "Emperor".
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2007 at 17:52
The Achaemenids where indeed,as far as i know,the first Empire with people of many different ethnicities as it's subjects.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 01:07
Originally posted by souljahofgod

seriously people, lets get one thing straight, please define barbarian. macedonians used them for any peoples that were not greek persian or roman. but tell me what you dudes think.

The Macedonians themselves were also thought of as barbaric by the Greeks.
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 08:20
Originally posted by souljahofgod

seriously people, lets get one thing straight, please define barbarian.

Early Greeks called them barbarians but then they adopted Greek culture & became Greek - they were among the last groups to become Greek.

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 08:34
At the height of Classical Greece, Greeks saw everyone but themselves as Barbarian, including Romans and Persians.

I believe the first true Empire to be Akkad, closely followed by Sumer. These were the two first great civilisations.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 13:27
In my opinion the term "barbarian" was used by Ancient Hellens in a political sense ,not a biological one,meaning that Ancient Hellens considered themselves to have superior political systems in their city-States,the heartstone of the Ancient Hellenic World.Ancient Hellens were highly nativists and considered the rule of one Monarch quite bearish (e.g. Persia).That's why ,the main difference between the two Ancient Worlds ,according to Ancient Hellen writers,was that Persians were ruled by one despotic King while Hellens were free men.

Edited by Spartakus - 09-Jan-2007 at 13:28
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 14:31
Originally posted by Spartakus

Ancient Hellens were highly nativists and considered the rule of one Monarch quite bearish (e.g. Persia).

The city-states didn't want to be ruled by any emperor but they respected great Persian emperors like Cyrus.

That's why, the main difference between the two Ancient Worlds, according to Ancient Hellen writers, was that Persians were ruled by one despotic King while Hellens were free men.

The Persian international system of gov't was better.

TheGame View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote TheGame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 15:38

In my opinion the term "barbarian" was used by Ancient Hellens in a political sense ,not a biological one,meaning that Ancient Hellens considered themselves to have superior political systems in their city-States,the heartstone of the Ancient Hellenic World.Ancient Hellens were highly nativists and considered the rule of one Monarch quite bearish (e.g. Persia).That's why ,the main difference between the two Ancient Worlds ,according to Ancient Hellen writers,was that Persians were ruled by one despotic King while Hellens were free men.

Thats incorrect because Many of the city states had kings too, just like Persia, and generally, rule in the Greek city states was much more authoritarian and intolerant than the rule in Persia.

Also, regarding the question of the topic, we have to first distinguish between kingdoms and empires.

I dont believe Egypt or the hitites or the sumerians, or elamites, were empires, they were kingdoms...

However, Assyria and babylon could be considered empires.

Edited by TheGame - 09-Jan-2007 at 17:17
Join the:

Iranian History Forum

Everyone is welcome.
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 23:04
TheGame, exactly, most of the cities were ruled by kings and or dictators so that really kinda defeats that argument in a way. And to Spartakus, i would just like to say that the Greeks based there assumptions on how a people lived, as far as culture, not politics. Also, keep in mind that the Spartans actually thought of the other Greek cities as barbaric as well.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 02:32
I mentioned what Ancient Hellens believed .Concerning their respect to the King,i believe they respected the power of the King,not the King's political constitution.That's why they fight against Persians in the first place.The Persian international system of goverment may was good for Persia,but not nessecarily for Ancient Hellas.

Most city states had a type of oligarchy,a few democracy,a few tyranny,and much fewer a king.Most City- States had mixed govermental types,oligarchy-democracy.Hell,the only Ancient Hellenic kingdom i know,if you consider it Hellenic,it's that of Macedonia.

Edited by Spartakus - 10-Jan-2007 at 02:33
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 08:42

Concerning their respect to the King, i believe they respected the power of the King, not the King's political constitution.

Not all Persian emperors were the same.  Some (like Cyrus) were greatly respected by Greeks.

That's why they fight against Persians in the first place.

They fought the ones who mistreated Greeks & tried to conquer Greece.

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 08:46

I can see where you are coming from Spartakus. The Ancient Greeks - not neccesarily ALL of them - saw themselves as culturally superior to everyone else. They just believed that their traditions, lifestyle, religion and society was more advanced...

Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 01:41
The Greeks disliked Persia becuase of Darius The Great and Xerxes. Also, Persians were known to intervene in Greek politics which in fact is the main reason why the Greeks disliked them.
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 02:20
Originally posted by Penelope

The Greeks disliked Persia becuase of Darius The Great and Xerxes.

No, they didn't.  They disliked the invasions of Darius & Xerxes.

Persians were known to intervene in Greek politics which in fact is the main reason why the Greeks disliked them.

No, they weren't, until Darius & Xerxes started doing it.

TheGame View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote TheGame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 12:31

The Greeks disliked Persia becuase of Darius The Great and Xerxes. Also, Persians were known to intervene in Greek politics which in fact is the main reason why the Greeks disliked them.

I dont believe thats so. Persia did not intervene in Greek politics until AFTER Athens intervened by supporting and encouraging riots in Ionia.
Join the:

Iranian History Forum

Everyone is welcome.
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 12:53
Originally posted by TheGame

Persia did not intervene in Greek politics until AFTER Athens intervened by supporting and encouraging riots in Ionia.

Those revolts were caused by Persian interference Smile but Persians had not been interfering previously.

TheGame View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote TheGame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 14:11
Originally posted by Hellios

Originally posted by TheGame

Persia did not intervene in Greek politics until AFTER Athens intervened by supporting and encouraging riots in Ionia.

Those revolts were caused by Persian interference Smile but Persians had not been interfering previously.

Wait, are we talking about mainland Greece of Greek colonies in general?
Join the:

Iranian History Forum

Everyone is welcome.
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 14:51
The Ionians.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>