Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What made u love history and what's your favorite?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RedCape View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote RedCape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What made u love history and what's your favorite?
    Posted: 20-Nov-2013 at 08:11
I don't know if it's just me but my interest for history began with reading Greek Mythology in primary school or as Americans will call it elementary school. But it isn't till I was 13 and I read a book on world history. I can not recall what it was called but when reading the section about Rome's foundations to becoming a glorious empire I became fascinated with the history of ancient Rome. 

Well of course I now love all history but Rome is what started it all for me and Rome is of course my favourite. Yes I know it sounds so typical "yeah look another guy who likes Roman history" lol.

The reason why I ask is because I don't seem to be the only one that loves Roman history the most. I have friends who list Roman history as their favourite. It may have to do with being raised in a western country but I would like to hear from those who are from non western countries and know what history they love the most. 

Everyone is welcome to post, would love to hear from you all.

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2013 at 08:17
Rome is place for love&lovers i suppose!I stucked in Egyptian culture&language.More i dig more i think insanity of Egyptean pharaohs was no different than Roman's insanity.SmileHi,RedCape!

Edited by medenaywe - 22-Nov-2013 at 12:59
RedCape View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote RedCape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2013 at 09:32
I must agree the Pharaohs insanity are not much different to some of Rome's Emperors insane minds of the time even during both their golden ages. Hi medenaywe thanks for posting. 

I love the Battle of Kadesh or Qadesh and how it is the world's oldest recorded peace treaty found. I too like the Rosetta Stone and the unlocking of the hieroglyphs but a discovery was made that an Islamic scholar cracked the code of the hieroglyphs first before any European did. 

I watched it in a documentary called science and islam (BBC) by Jim Khalili a theoretical physicist and there is a part where it talks about cracking the hieroglyphs code. Do you already know this and if not what are your thoughts on it?
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2013 at 10:04
Originally posted by RedCape

I must agree the Pharaohs insanity are not much different to some of Rome's Emperors insane minds of the time even during both their golden ages. Hi medenaywe thanks for posting. 

I love the Battle of Kadesh or Qadesh and how it is the world's oldest recorded peace treaty found. I too like the Rosetta Stone and the unlocking of the hieroglyphs but a discovery was made that an Islamic scholar cracked the code of the hieroglyphs first before any European did. 

I watched it in a documentary called science and islam (BBC) by Jim Khalili a theoretical physicist and there is a part where it talks about cracking the hieroglyphs code. Do you already know this and if not what are your thoughts on it?

This is the first that I've heard of an Islamic scholar cracking the Glyphs.  Be careful with stuff like that.  Islamo-centrists are much like Afro-centrists.  The claims made, are great and many.  In the end usually the evidence is weak, or lacking entirely.
Not to take away from the many scientific advances they fostered, however I don't believe that's one of them.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
RedCape View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote RedCape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2013 at 10:37
I urge you to watch the documentary it actually shows how an Islmaic scholar connects the Arabic language with the Egyptian hieroglyphs but was not trying to crack the code of the glyphs. In fact they were trying to unlock the dark powers of ancient alchemy and evidence of inscriptions translating  the glyphs to arabic has been found supporting this claim.

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2013 at 11:29
And you can watch the one where the Islamic scholar connects half the place names in the US to the Arabic language, in a vain attempt to prove Islamic Arabs discovered America first. 
In the end, you will believe what you want to.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
RedCape View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote RedCape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2013 at 22:49
I see no connection to an Islamic scholar attempting to prove Arabs discovered America first in this modern age to an Islamic Scholar several centuries ago cracking the Egyptian hieroglyphs. His name is Ibn Wahshiyya an Islamic scholar from the Islamic empires golden age. He is considered the first to decipher the glyphs by relating it to the coptic language and now this has been backed up by the University College London (UCL). 

I like what I will know, not what I still know.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2013 at 09:33
Okay, you are a true islamocentrist.  I will not go any further. Check my sig. I won't waste my time.
Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply