Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The bombing of Dresden

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Kirsten View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kirsten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The bombing of Dresden
    Posted: 19-Nov-2013 at 10:14
Hello everyone! 
My name is Kirsten and I am a 17-year-old high school student from the Netherlands.
I am writing an essay on the bombing of Dresden and one of the questions I have to 
answer is:

'What were the goals of the allied forces for the bombing of Dresden?'

I have been struggling to find the information to answer this question properly and I was
wondering if you could help me. All help is appreciated! I am very interested in what you have to say about this subject.
Thank you!

PS. I've made this account this afternoon so I haven't got the chance yet to find other topics about the bombing on this forum, so if you could send a link I would be very grateful.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2013 at 13:43
Kirsten, there have been many discussions of this subject here.  But for some reason, I'm unable to locate them.

You can try googling- Britains strategic bombing campaign, or "bomber Harris".  Dresden has been seen as the "one step too far" for the bombing of strategic targets.  As Dresden had no military importance, and was a refugee city, the goals were always fuzzy.

You've picked one of the more controversial subjects from the era.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2013 at 17:02
I just saw your posting. have you done your essay already? I realized you asked as well in another forum. I am not aware about discussions here, but there are some in these other forum.

You got there already some answers. Let me add, that Dresden is not really different to all the other cities, which were bombed. That it became much more famous than other bombings is due to the fact, that the Nazis exaggerated the number of victims by a factor of ca. 10 and of course, that especially Dresden, as well called Florence of the Elbe river, was famous for its buildings and that Saxon was as well allways seen as the opposite of the Prussian militarism.

But to your question. Dresden was bombed, because the allies were for longer not able to bomb it, but that changed, when the front moved eastwards. In 1945 the allies were as well running out of targets, because the most German cities were already destroyed.

Dresden was till that february days undistroyed, it had a lot of small industries, there were railroad lines thru the city and it had even one of the largest military complexes. This fact was later used to justify the attack. Indeed was a lot of industry destroyed and it needed a few weeks to rebuild it. A lot of traffic lines were damaged for some days and weeks, too. But troop transport started already after a few days. The military complex, the Albertstadt, wasn't destroyed at all. It was only hit once, coincidentally. What was hit, were the housing areas, as it was part of the aerial bombing doctrine. As it was written in the doctrin, not the industries were the target, the purpose was to kill the people. Churchill had chosen the right term in his withdrawn cable after the bombing, "just for the sake of terror".
Kirsten View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Kirsten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2013 at 12:17
Hello again!

I haven't finished my essay yet. It is due on the 20th of december. I've already come a long way with this subject but I still have one theory for which I need good arguments (to "prove" the theory and to disable it). This theory is:

The Allied forces bombed Dresden just because it was a city in Nazi-Germany and they were fighting a war agains Nazi-Germany.

Beorna, you said:
'Dresden was bombed, because the allies were for longer not able to bomb it'

Why was this? Could you explain it any further?

Thank you very much for replying. I really appreciate it.
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2013 at 07:03
What I meant is, that Dresden laid outside the range of allied bombers and it was as well dangerous to fly such long distances over the enemy's territory. So Dresden was not a target of allied bombing. And of course there were many other cities which could be bombed, too and where nearer.

After d-day 1944 and as well after the allied landing in Italy already in 1943, the front moved closer to the Reich and more and more cities could be bombed. It was as well important, that the German air-defense broke down in 1944 and the allies achieved nearly a total air-superiority. So the allies could bomb whatever they liked and whenever they wanted.

In 1944 as well many cities were nearly completely destroyed. That's what I meant with, the allies where running out of targets. Instead of changing their doctrine and to bomb more military targets, they bombed on and on ruins. So Dresden and as well Breslau or Königsberg were thankful tasks for the air forces. here they could destroy, what was still undistroyed. That Germany was in ruins can be seen as well in the change of bomb use. The allies had a very high percentage of incendiary ammunition. But ruins don't burn. So in 1944 the percentage of incendiaries dropped.

So your theory is not wrong. Dresden was bombed because it was a german city, which was possible to bomb, I repeat myself, and as Churchill said, just for the sake of terror.
yomud View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Inactive

Quote yomud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2013 at 06:31
Originally posted by beorna

Dresden was bombed because it was a german city, which was possible to bomb, I repeat myself, and as Churchill said, just for the sake of terror.
this is a war crime they can not kill the people for fun does england today recognize this massacre ?
yomud are free people
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2013 at 10:05
Yomud, you cannot take anything out of context with WWII, and say it was right or wrong.  The Nazis initiated Total War, which by definition is a monstrous crime against humanity.  The Britts had the attitude that they were defending themselves.  "They sowed the wind, now they shall reap the whirlwind" "Air Marshall Harris".
What about the Bombing of British cities, and the killing of British citizens, that triggered the retaliations?
War, in any form is stupid and insane. An idiotic waste of resources and lives.  You can't revisit WWII some 60 years later and judge it with modern values.  That's revisionist bs.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2013 at 04:40
Originally posted by red clay

Yomud, you cannot take anything out of context with WWII, and say it was right or wrong.  The Nazis initiated Total War, which by definition is a monstrous crime against humanity.  The Britts had the attitude that they were defending themselves.  "They sowed the wind, now they shall reap the whirlwind" "Air Marshall Harris".
What about the Bombing of British cities, and the killing of British citizens, that triggered the retaliations?
War, in any form is stupid and insane. An idiotic waste of resources and lives.  You can't revisit WWII some 60 years later and judge it with modern values.  That's revisionist bs.

What you write here is not correct, at least in parts.

I agree, that we have to see all in a context. Germany started the war with the attack on Poland, but it was not Germany that declared war on Great Britain or France. It was of course Germany that attacked the Netherlands unprovoked and that bombed Rotterdam on may 14th. But it was as well the UK that bombed Mönchengladbach on may 10th.

You write, that the nazis initiated a total war. That may be true for the east, but it is not correct for the west. Hitler forbade direct attacks on civilian targets during the BoB, even restricted for a time attacks on London. A total war was declared by Goebbels in february 1943. The politics of moral bombing by the UK started already in july 1941 and the area bombing doctrine was from february 1942, one year before Goebbels' Sportpalast speech.

You write as well, that Hitler's total war was a crime against humanity. Well, I agree, that the nazis committed great crimes, especially in the east. But you are using double standards here. You accuse the Nazis of a crime against humanity, which did not exist during WWII. But you excuse the area bombing directive which was as well against the HC, that should protect civilians and BTW, the allied decision to expell millions of germans after WWII fullfills as well the case of an ethnic cleansing, which is a crime against humanity, too. And different to the nazi crimes against humanity, were the expulsions committed after the London protocoll.

I agree, that the british people had the attitude, that they defended themselves and that the germans just reaped the whirlwind. Well, I said it above, it was not germany that declared war on the UK and it was not germany that bombed the UK first. And the mood of the British does not change the fact, that Germany before the Baedecker Blitz did only attack legitimate targets, but were accepting collateral damage like e.g. in Coventry. It was the UK which started the war against civilians. And we should perhaps look at the proportions. Germans killed 60,000 British civilians. The allies killed not only more than 70,000 french and Benelux civilians, but as well ca. 600,000 civilians in germany. Tens of thousands of them Foreign labourers and as well up to 75,000 children. Not to forget, that more than 140,000 allied pilots and crew members lost their lives.

It is till today taught, that Germany started the terror bombing. That is, why the British and American population is, even when they feel sorry for the civilian victims, not willed to excuse or to express a public apology or every sign of regret. But the queen contributed donations for the Frauenkirche in Dresden and, even if only in a short inscription on the new memorial for the bomber pilots who died during WWII, the civilian victims of the bombing war are remembered. Germany does not demand a british apology. Every nation has to decide for itself, for what they like to apologize and for what not. It would be for sure a proof of luminary to express regret for a criminal doctrine. Maybe the British and Americans will show such luminary one day, maybe they will not.

I agree again, that war in any form is stupid and insane. It is indeed a waste of lives. The wasted resources are less important, as I think. But maybe you think about the nations, which went on war after 1945. Wars did not end with the destruction of nazi-Germany.

I agree again, that we cannot use standards of today for WWII. Nevertheless can people today recognize wrong decisions of the politicians in 1939-1945 and later. Churchill and others decided as they thought it was right or as they thought it was necessary. It is now history. It is more annoying, that people today try to justify it.

Revisionism is a killer argument, cos revisionism is usually linked with the attempt to rewrite and falsify history. In germany e.g. we had for several decades the myth of a clean Wehrmacht. Today there is a lot research from Germany which investigates the share of the Wehrmacht of the nazi crimes. There is research about the entanglement of the economy in these crimes or about the role of the police, which was ignore for long. Shall we call this revisionist, too? I suppose not! So why do you like to call research about the bombing war revisionistic or maybe research about the entanglement of other european nations and governments in nazi crimes or about allied war crimes?

Edited by beorna - 03-Dec-2013 at 05:35
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2013 at 10:37

I wanted Kirsten to see what revisionism has done and also how controversial a subject this actually is.

Thank you.  You did an excellant job.

Unknown.
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2013 at 12:58

I wanted Kirsten to see what revisionism has done and also how controversial a subject this actually is.

Then you are for sure able to show us my "revisionism", do you?
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2013 at 20:28

What I meant is, that Dresden laid outside the range of allied bombers and it was as well dangerous to fly such long distances over the enemy's territory. So Dresden was not a target of allied bombing. And of course there were many other cities which could be bombed, too and where nearer

For starters, Dresden obviously did not "lie outside of the range of Allied bombers", since they bombed it.

The British believed that the enemy civilian population in Europe was a legitimate target, just as America did in Japan.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2013 at 22:15
A bunch of very good postings! But no one mentioned the "book"!
Kirsten View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Kirsten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2013 at 07:51
Originally posted by opuslola

But no one mentioned the "book"!

Well then, go ahead. You've got me curious.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2013 at 09:25
And I as well.
Unknown.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2013 at 09:55
Sorry everyone! I thought all of you must have read the book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaughterhouse-Five

Regards, Ron
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2013 at 10:56
I have read it, and it's science fiction.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2013 at 11:01
Well certainly it is part fiction, but the author was actually present during the fire-bombing so one must admit his descriptions should be taken as truth.

Or do you disagree?

Ron
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2013 at 12:13
Originally posted by Mountain Man

What I meant is, that Dresden laid outside the range of allied bombers and it was as well dangerous to fly such long distances over the enemy's territory. So Dresden was not a target of allied bombing. And of course there were many other cities which could be bombed, too and where nearer

For starters, Dresden obviously did not "lie outside of the range of Allied bombers", since they bombed it.

The British believed that the enemy civilian population in Europe was a legitimate target, just as America did in Japan.

Well, thank you very much for your information. But the distance from Britain to Dresden is ca. 950km, from Rome more than 1000 km. With a normal bomb freight it is of course possible for B17 and as well for a lancaster and there were as well a few hunter aircrafts which could manage these distance, but Dresden was already at the limits, because you have to calculate dogfights e.g. or other incidents.
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2013 at 12:17

are you going to show us my "revisionism" or is these claim your only "evidence"?
Kirsten View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Kirsten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2013 at 17:25
Originally posted by opuslola

so one must admit his descriptions should be taken as truth.

Not exactly. At some point Vonnegut writes:

'American fighter planes came in under the smoke to see if anything was moving. They
saw Billy and the rest moving down there. The planes sprayed them with machine-gun
bullets, but the bullets missed. Then they saw some other people moving down by the
riverside and they shot at them. They hit some of them. So it goes.
 The idea was to hasten the end of the war.'

This is not true. There was no machine-gun-shooting after the bombing. This is a myth.
I corresponded with a historian who works at the militairy-history museum in Dresden and he told me this. I also read a couple of eye-witness reports at the city-archive of Dresden which contained no mention of this shooting at all. 

The historian also gave me the name of this book:

If the subject interests you I would definitely read it. I haven't read it (yet).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>