Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Snow!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Online Status: Offline
  Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snow!!
    Posted: 24-Jan-2014 at 04:14
Originally posted by red clay

It's snowing to beat the band here.  It's been going on now for over an hour.  It's only sticking to things like the patio chairs.
Also the leaves still on the trees.  That could be a problem if it keeps up.  The leaves have turned, but haven't dropped yet.

Realize first that I mowed the lawn 2 days ago.  This mess was unexpected, and very unseasonal. Usually we don't get anything like this for another month.

Tragic!!! Meanwhile some parts of Australia are experiencing temperatures in the low 40's Centigrade. Oh well......
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2014 at 06:50
Some folks down here are also seeing snow flurries.
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2014 at 11:28
Flurries?  We had 15+ inches on tues. I didn't finish digging out until yesterday.  To make it even more fun, the temps dropped to 4 F, with a wind chill of -11F Weds. morning.

From last Sat. to this morning, I burned a 1/4 cord of wood. [A cord is 4x4x8] just to supplement
our central heating.

And the best part,  the weatherman said we may get to do it all over again on Sunday.Censored

To put it into perspective, 2 winters ago we had a total of 7.5 inches for the season.  Last winter we had 2.5.  This year we have had a total of 34", and it isn't Feb. yet.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2014 at 19:48
As the proverbial Beer man says; "Stay warm my friend!"

Regards and thanks, Ron
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2014 at 01:54
We were suffering from dry winter. After the first snow, there was no rain so people have started rain prays in different parts of Turkey. Finally we are getting rain
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2014 at 15:59
Well, the weatherman said Sunday, but I'm sitting here watching it snow yet again.  We have 2 more inches and counting.
This was supposed to be "light flurries", a "dusting".  The main roads are good, but the sidestreets were still covered with a layer of compacted snow which has iced over.  2 inches of dry powder on compacted base may be great for skiers, but driving on it can be exciting.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2014 at 00:34
But I'd bet you love it? Smile!

"Drive safely my friend!" From the beer guy! LOL
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2014 at 00:41

Sundey and The Snow is falling out!Winter comes today.Smile

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2014 at 00:45
And, where I live (South Mississippi, USA) the winter is over in about five weeks at the most!

Be careful my friends!

Ron
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2014 at 00:49
I have to be!My street has biggest inclination in town!Regards Ron!
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2014 at 09:09
The forcast for the South isn't very good.  Opuslola could be shoveling snow, instead of what he usually shovels. Wink The call is for 3-6 inches from New Orleans east.

Those folks are just not equipped to handle that kind of stuff.

Here it's just the cold now.  Yesterday it got up to 46F. By 10pm it was 18F.  This AM it was 5F with a windchill of -10.
The Barnegat Bay is frozen over for the first time in 40 years and the Delaware is more frozen in than it was last week.

Unknown.
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2014 at 11:41
Snowing and 2 degrees F here today, courtesy of the Canadians and the Jet Stream.  Wink
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
yomud View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Inactive

Quote yomud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2014 at 13:42
this is the worst winter i ever have ! it will be kind of you americans to give some of your snow to us !! we have only 2 time rain since autumn Exclamation and 2 sand storm since winter (this was never happend b4) Wacko usually we should have a lot of rain and snow ! but now in middle of winter i GET SUMMER !! with hot air and sunny dayDead !!! im sure ollios stolen my clouds and hide it in his pocket Big smile !!!!! give it back to me !Clown
yomud are free people
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2014 at 15:09
Originally posted by yomud

this is the worst winter i ever have ! it will be kind of you americans to give some of your snow to us !! we have only 2 time rain since autumn Exclamation and 2 sand storm since winter (this was never happend b4) Wacko usually we should have a lot of rain and snow ! but now in middle of winter i GET SUMMER !! with hot air and sunny dayDead !!! im sure ollios stolen my clouds and hide it in his pocket Big smile !!!!! give it back to me !Clown

same thing is happening in Turkey too, there is no rain or snow. I think, today I saw the last snow of the winter, but it was not strong enough.
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2014 at 17:22
Sun came out at 1122 hours and the temp is pushing 60 F once more.  Even got the pig to out and bask in the sunlight, along with the dogs, the cats and all the other @#$%&*! household wildlife.  Ouch
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2014 at 17:44
Well Red, you have forced your crappy weather upon me! It has been sleeting for hours and hours of snow is expected later tonight, along with the temp. expected to fall to around 22 degrees F.

I might well wake up with 6" of snow on top of a layer of ice. Wow! What fun it will be. Hundreds of people who live here cannot get to work or go home because most all of the roads are closed.

Hey! I live about 2,000 feet from the Gulf of Mexico! This might just well be a 50 year storm?

Oh! right now at 1645 hours Central time, all of the roofs, yards and roads have a good coating of ice!

Good luck up there!

Rondo

Edited by opuslola - 28-Jan-2014 at 17:45
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2014 at 10:52
Woke up to another round of fresh powder, about 1.5-2 inches.  Light enough to be able to use the leaf blower to clear off the cars and sidewalk.

Ron, the towns down where you are don't own things like snow plows and truck mounted salters. They usually don't have need of them.  If you have to melt the ice and can't find Rock Salt or Calcium Chloride, call your local farm or garden supply and ask if they have "prilled urea" or some other high Nitrogen fertilizer.  Urea works best, but any high nitro fert will do the job.  If it has a gravel carrier, it will help with traction.  I've used in very heavy winters when all other sources and supplies are gone.

Unknown.
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2014 at 11:16
Bright, clear and sunny again today.  Most of the snow will be gone by this afternoon.

Now I remember why I don't live up North or back east.  Big smile
yomud View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Inactive

Quote yomud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2014 at 06:26
i got the first snow of the year in this day it's greats !Thumbs Up
yomud are free people
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2014 at 19:35
Originally posted by yomud

i got the first snow of the year in this day it's greats !Thumbs Up

Snow is something I usually see on mountain tops here in Tasmania. I guess we're very lucky to have the climate that we do. No tropical cyclones like our northern states, no excessive heat waves of over 40 degrees Celsius, Tassie really is the "promised land".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>