Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Muhammed in Art

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muhammed in Art
    Posted: 23-Aug-2013 at 05:14
I had known that there wasn't face of Muhammed in art until the last night

Muhammed in art which I am used to see like these

even we can't see his mother's face

BUT

İn West

Has he got fair colour mustache?                       with Devil  (European mediveal perspective about him)               

Edited by Ollios - 23-Aug-2013 at 05:14
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2013 at 07:02

Interestingly, most of these drawings are Persian. I guess it makes sense since the Shia don't mind drawing the face of Muhammad.

Timidi mater non flet
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2013 at 08:40
Originally posted by Baal Melqart

Interestingly, most of these drawings are Persian. I guess it makes sense since the Shia don't mind drawing the face of Muhammad.

Yes, it is interesting, the West just know that Shias (Iran) totally extreme radical islamist (women headscarf and about alcohol)

but

*3 times pray instead of 5 times

*My dad was told me after his visit in Tebriz, there wasn't to many minaret in there

*and this art perspective

Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2013 at 12:14
So why the violent Muslim reaction to anyone attempting to draw a likeness of Mohammed, which is allegedly punishable by death?

Edited by Mountain Man - 23-Aug-2013 at 12:14
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2013 at 13:29
Originally posted by Mountain Man

So why the violent Muslim reaction to anyone attempting to draw a likeness of Mohammed, which is allegedly punishable by death?

It is seen as mockery, which is punishable by death, both in Sunni and Shia law.

Timidi mater non flet
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2013 at 15:41

First of all, I told that this is not something I knew before. As Baal said mostly Persian culture drew Muhammed, so it is still extreme situation in general Muslim word.

Violent muslim reaction? Are you mentioning about Cartoon Crisis which can be clearly think as a hate speech for me?

Islam grew up pagan territories and not just it. It started in the holiest place of arab paganizm: Mecce, the center of old arab gods. So destroing old cult figure was an important act and even Abraham broke the cult figures in his period. Figure of prophet or god means paganism.

also statue of human prophet figure can also effect god. 
Example: we don't have a phrase like "Muhammed help/save me" but there is "Jesus help/save me" in Christianity. All prays do directly towards the God in Islam. 

In my opinion, because of this Islam banned prophet image.  

"which is allegedly punishable by death?" I am passing this as a guy who lived in a country which banned the supreme punishment

Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2013 at 20:22
All in all quite lovely art work. The Prophet is well represented and appears benign and distinguished in appearance. Debatable as later events might show.

As to the concerns of the Islamic community in whether it's acceptable or not?

Matters little to me.... while their 'radicalists' continue burning churches and purging Christians and others from their respective societies.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2013 at 12:04
Originally posted by Baal Melqart

It is seen as mockery, which is punishable by death, both in Sunni and Shia law.

Then these paintings are also seen as mockeries?  That would make viewing them also punishable by death, right?

How does this differ from any other image of Mohammed?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2013 at 17:52
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

As to the concerns of the Islamic community in whether it's acceptable or not? 

No, it is not acceptable in general. However Alevis in Turkey(10-15 million) and I think all Shias love to use Ali(Muhammed's daughter in law and the fourth caliph also the reason of Sunni-Shia conflict) posters but not Muhammed

Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

Matters little to me.... while their 'radicalists' continue burning churches and purging Christians and others from their respective societies.

Will you care if they don't buring church?  LOL

Burning church in Middle East or protesting mosque building in West is same sh*t. It always like it and will stay like it for me. 

When you said this, you should know that a guy in Middle East will say like this "burning churches in Egypt matters little to me ... while they are not allowing mosque or they are occuping Palestine terrority. 

When you and this imaginary guy from Middle East start to think differently, the world be change.

Post Reply Post Reply