Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Did the Sumerians originate in the Aryan zone?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mojobadshah View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did the Sumerians originate in the Aryan zone?
    Posted: 10-Jul-2013 at 23:23
I've just recently come across information connecting haplogroup J2 to the Sumerians which is also frequent among the Iranians.  But other evidence points to a Aryan homeland origin for the Sumerians.  I'm not 100% how much of it is sound, but 1. connections have been made to place-names that resemble the name of the mountain Sumeru such as Meru in Sanskrit, and I believe Chinese equivalents have also been proposed.  2. the Sumerians are believed to have originated in a mountainous homeland, and the ziggurats are thought to resemble this mountainous homeland 3. the word for "home" in Sumerian is MADO.  Sumerian is believed to resemble Indo-European more than any other language, but the Avestan equivalent is identical.  Mado in Avestan means "mountain."  3. from a paleontological view the Sumerians have been classified Afghanian, and Sumerologists have even noted the resemblance between Irano-Afghan and Sumerian features.  

TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2013 at 02:31
I think I read something a while back which suggested linguistically speaking Hungarian has more in common with the Sumerian language than any other, though how this has happened might be more of a mystery.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2013 at 03:58
Originally posted by mojobadshah

I've just recently come across information connecting haplogroup J2 to the Sumerians which is also frequent among the Iranians.  But other evidence points to a Aryan homeland origin for the Sumerians.  I'm not 100% how much of it is sound, but 1. connections have been made to place-names that resemble the name of the mountain Sumeru such as Meru in Sanskrit, and I believe Chinese equivalents have also been proposed.  2. the Sumerians are believed to have originated in a mountainous homeland, and the ziggurats are thought to resemble this mountainous homeland 3. the word for "home" in Sumerian is MADO.  Sumerian is believed to resemble Indo-European more than any other language, but the Avestan equivalent is identical.  Mado in Avestan means "mountain."  3. from a paleontological view the Sumerians have been classified Afghanian, and Sumerologists have even noted the resemblance between Irano-Afghan and Sumerian features.  

As we know, Sumerian are immigrant people from some highland but Sumeru-Sumerian connection is easy, isn't it? This is well-known problem "Sumerian Question" or "Sumerian Problem" Big smile

Can you share your source about Sumerians and classifing Afghanian?

Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

I think I read something a while back which suggested linguistically speaking Hungarian has more in common with the Sumerian language than any other, though how this has happened might be more of a mystery.

Yes, Sumerian language is in agglutinative language as all Altaic languages 
Consul
Consul

Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2013 at 13:02
Originally posted by Ollios

"Races of Europe" by C.S. Coon
Consul
Consul

Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2013 at 13:05

Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

Yes, Sumerian language is in agglutinative language as all Altaic languages 

Consul
Consul

Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2013 at 13:21

"Races of Europe" by C.S. Coon

Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2013 at 13:38
Define Aryan zone or homeland. Is this the same alleged by the Kurgan Hypo. viz proto Indo-Aryans. Into the NW Indian sub.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2013 at 14:05
Or as an alternative are you in reference to the PIE of the Caspian Steppe.

As there is competing evidence from their lit to suggest that the Sumerians were from ancient Dilmun.

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1192

http://www.sjsu.edu/faculty/watkins/sumer.htm

www.antropologia.uw.edu.pl/SHA/sha-04-07.pdf‎

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 11-Jul-2013 at 14:06

S. T. Friedman

Consul
Consul

Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2013 at 15:30
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

Define Aryan zone or homeland. Is this the same alleged by the Kurgan Hypo. viz proto Indo-Aryans. Into the NW Indian sub.

Aryan zone could have two meanings.  Either the Irano-Afghan zone otherwise known as Greater Iran (I prefer Aryan to Iran or Iranic because I believe its more inclusive of all the Iranic speaking peoples) or it could mean Indo-European zone.  In regards to the Sumerian highland homeland origin I think it would be more precise to use Aryan zone in the restricted Irano-Afghan sense, but of course the Irano-Afghans are Indo-Europeans.  

However, wasn't Bahrain or Dilmun originally settled by Aryans (Irano-Afghans)?
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2013 at 17:09

It mentioned about words, not grammer as I did and If I force a little bit, I can find similar words Big smile 
English-Sumerian-Turkish
But 		- MA                  AMA
That 		- SU or SU'ATI        ŞU 
http://www.ping.de/sites/systemcoder/necro/info/sumerian.htm

This is tricky game. There is no on earth who doesn't like to be connected with ancient sumerians, their heritage is massive, so we need to think more before making a decision Big smile

There is also theoris about black sumerians but I think, now Dilman in Bahrein is proven pre location of Sumerians as CV said

The True Origin of The Sumerian Civilization Discovered.

but it is just a pre-mesopotamia location. As before we talked, Sumerians origin is somewhere near mountains, according to sumerian own legends. 

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2013 at 17:11

Aryan zone could have two meanings.  Either the Irano-Afghan zone otherwise known as Greater Iran (I prefer Aryan to Iran or Iranic because I believe its more inclusive of all the Iranic speaking peoples) or it could mean Indo-European zone.  In regards to the Sumerian highland homeland origin I think it would be more precise to use Aryan zone in the restricted Irano-Afghan sense, but of course the Irano-Afghans are Indo-Europeans.  

And therein lies the problem. Multiple definitions many based merely on linguistics or solely on archaeology.... but rarely both. My intent is not to be argumentative for it's sole sake. But the question of the Sumerian ancient lineage has been debated for nearly a century and a half.

My recommendation is look at my last link for an overview...and then seek the answer thru an examination of sources that support their location based on more than linguistics.

best
CV

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2013 at 17:15

And therein lies the problem. Multiple definitions many based merely on linguistics or solely on archaeology.... but rarely both. My intent is not to be argumentative for it's sole sake. But the question of the Sumerian ancient lineage has been debated for nearly a century and a half.

My recommendation is look at my last link for an overview...and then seek the answer thru an examination of sources that support their location based on more than linguistics. As DNA is not an acceptable sole source of identification. Cant be... merely because migration occurred on a regular basis..even if only among small groups..during the proto IE expansion into Indo-European eras; resulting in intermixture of types and subs.

best
CV

S. T. Friedman

Consul
Consul

Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2013 at 21:14

[QUOTE=mojobadshah]
The True Origin of The Sumerian Civilization Discovered.

but it is just a pre-mesopotamia location. As before we talked, Sumerians origin is somewhere near mountains, according to sumerian own legends. 

Yes, Bahrain is not a mountainous region.   According to the Hebrew Bible the Sumerians came from the land of Shinar in the east.  I suppose Bahrain could be east, but the Irano-Afghan zone is also to the east.  And can anyone tell me whether Bahrain was originally peopled by Irano-Afghans?  I think that whole region was settled by Irano-Afghans who had crossed over the Gulf of Omman from the Irano-Afghan zone  they crossed over the   I'm know I read that somewhere, but I can't find the site anymore.   

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2013 at 03:42
That's as good a theory as any. Not much perse on the ethnic history of Bahrain other then the usual current or more modern Arabic based etc. Which then asks the question which version or variation of Arabic, or mixed with Persian, do you want to believe sprung from PIE and Proto Indo Aryan....to form what your calling Irano-Afghan.

The same can be said of ancient Dilmun. And where they come from then is based on the version you want to accept.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 12-Jul-2013 at 03:43

S. T. Friedman

Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2013 at 11:15
It can be more far from Irano-Afhgan zone. In South India, Dravidians are also in origin list.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2013 at 12:44
Could be anything that's the problem. Might have been Indo Aryans from the sub but it also might have been remnants of proto IE's from South Asia by way of central.

And that is why we have a rush to judgement to either use a single form of proof.... often times..... Linguistics or DNA or archaeo-anthro alone. Often times because the culture in question can not be examined from a multi disciplinary perspective.

The best of all worlds but rarely found is when we can find two or more in concert to examine.

S. T. Friedman

Consul
Consul

Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2013 at 00:55
Interesting.  I didn't realize there was a debate on where the Sumerians came from and that there was more than one candidate.  I was under the impression that it was pretty much established that they came from a mountainous region to the east which pretty much would equate to an Irano-Afghan zone.  But so far we've mentioned candidates such as the Altaic, the Dravidian, and the Arabs.  I know connections between the Elamites and the Dravidians have been made, but not the Sumerians.  It was also my impression that the Sumerians were distinct from the Semitic people who were later arrivals to Mesopotamia.  I still think, however, that the Irano-Afghans make up the strongest possible candidate.  Archeological and contextual evidence points to a mountainous homeland in the east.  Artifacts made out of lapiz have been found in Sumerian sites and the most probable source for lapis lazuli is Badakashan.  Paleontology points to Afghanian (Irano-Afghan) features.  Linguistically there are a lot of resemblances between IE. and Sumerian.  I've even discussed this with linguistics and they are not averse to the possibility that PIE and Sumerian descended from a common ancestor.  Then there's the question of DNA.  I've only come across one source that claims the Sumerians belonged to any haplogroup at all and that's haplogroup J2.  J2 is prominent among the Irano-Afghans.  However, the Bahrainians belong to J1 so its not impossible that the Sumerian J2's descended from the Bahrainian J1's.   
Also something to think about: After doing a brief investigation into Bahrain and the adjacent region it would appear that maritime trade has been taking place there since the 4th millenium BC.  Oman was a major source for copper and apparently the recent discovery of tombs in Oman dating to the 2nd millenium BC support the fact that copper trade had been taking place between the Iranians and the ancient Omanians, Sumerians, and Indians.  The Sumerians refer to a place called Magan which was their source for copper which could either be Egypt, Oman, Iran, India or partially Oman and partially Iran.     
Arthur-Robin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2013 at 07:34
Didn't any of you even read the 2 Dilmuns topic in this forum a month ago. There was good evidence for Dilmun of trade being in Shatt-el-Arab/Sealands/Marsh area not Bahrein, and that Dilmun of Gilgamesh was not Bahrein but probably in Ararat area.

JR Baker book 'Race' also mentions about the Afghanian/"protoArab" like Coon's. His conculsions were that Sumerians were 2 groups of [Combe-]Capelid and Mediterranean (as were Sialk and Mohenjo-Daro). The Mediterranean may be the dark Admu of Sumerian/Akkadian? It is also reckoned that Sumerians resemble Kurds who are claimed to be like proto-Nordic. Some sources also mention some brachycephalic /Turanians/ Alpinids/Armenoids.

Some connect Sumerian with Caucasian/Subarian/Hurrian group.

Sumerian has also/alternatively been conected with Dravidian (language &/or race?)

Sumerian language has been compared with Turanian/Ural-Altaic. Some scholars (Hrozny, Waddell, Myatt, etc) also claim Indo-European/Aryan connections.

There are various possible language words correspondences, some certain, some not.
Sumerian zi-ana "spirit of heaven" = Chinese Tien.
Sumerian zi-mu(um)/zikum = Chinese Timu.
Sumerian Tab = english two.
sumerian lu(p) = Aryan leute/laos/lay
Sumerian gu(d) "bull" = Aryan cow/go/gauh.
Sumerian sos(oi) = Aryan six(ty)?
Sumerian dingir = Biblical shin(g)ar?
Sumerian dingir = Turanian Tengri?
Sumerian (t)sir "serpent" = Aryan serpent?
Sumerian anu/ilu = Hebrew el?

Ragozin mentioned Chinese bottles found at Nippur.

Bible is the key to all history. Bible says Sumerians (thought by some to be Shinar) from Nimrod son of Cush son of Ham. There used to be a Cushite origin theory. [May sort-of agree with Afrocentrists.] (Though some think Sumer = Shem, or Gomer/Cimmerian = Sumerian? and/or though there are also the Chaldeans/Kasdim/Pekod.)
Nimrod = Ninurta (&/or Ningirsu/Nimirud)?
Nachash = Ningish.zida?

Sumerians were Capelids.
Nimrod was a giant and hunter.
CroMagnons were tall and hunters.

Alford/Sitchin/Rohl & Berosus/kinglists & Bible seem to agree that earliest Sumerian cities developed from gulf/south to north (line roughly from Eridu to Babylon). [Similar to Tiahuanaco/Atlantis.]
"Enoch/Irad" may be Eridu, Babel may be Eridu or Badtabira, Erech may be Uruk or Larak. (Shinar may be Senkereh/Larsa or Sumer or Dingir?)

Japheth/north, Shem/middle, Ham/south
Enlil/north , Anu/centre, Ea/Enki/south
[Tur, Salm/Sayrima, Iraj?]

Many orthodox sources agree that the earliest origin place of culture was in the syria/ararat/armenia/assyria/n.w.iran crescent area just like Bible says.

The ziggurats are connected with Tower of Babel?
Tho some say the ziggurats orientation/alignment to north-east may indicate Sumerians from Aralu in n.e.?

Has 'Sharrukin' gone missing again?

Edited by Arthur-Robin - 14-Jul-2013 at 07:36
Consul
Consul

Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2013 at 12:47
Originally posted by Arthur-Robin

Didn't any of you even read the 2 Dilmuns topic in this forum a month ago. There was good evidence for Dilmun of trade being in Shatt-el-Arab/Sealands/Marsh area not Bahrein, and that Dilmun of Gilgamesh was not Bahrein but probably in Ararat area.

JR Baker book 'Race' also mentions about the Afghanian/"protoArab" like Coon's. His conculsions were that Sumerians were 2 groups of [Combe-]Capelid and Mediterranean (as were Sialk and Mohenjo-Daro). The Mediterranean may be the dark Admu of Sumerian/Akkadian? It is also reckoned that Sumerians resemble Kurds who are claimed to be like proto-Nordic. Some sources also mention some brachycephalic /Turanians/ Alpinids/Armenoids.

Some connect Sumerian with Caucasian/Subarian/Hurrian group.

Sumerian has also/alternatively been conected with Dravidian (language &/or race?)

Sumerian language has been compared with Turanian/Ural-Altaic. Some scholars (Hrozny, Waddell, Myatt, etc) also claim Indo-European/Aryan connections.

There are various possible language words correspondences, some certain, some not.
Sumerian zi-ana "spirit of heaven" = Chinese Tien.
Sumerian zi-mu(um)/zikum = Chinese Timu.
Sumerian Tab = english two.
sumerian lu(p) = Aryan leute/laos/lay
Sumerian gu(d) "bull" = Aryan cow/go/gauh.
Sumerian sos(oi) = Aryan six(ty)?
Sumerian dingir = Biblical shin(g)ar?
Sumerian dingir = Turanian Tengri?
Sumerian (t)sir "serpent" = Aryan serpent?
Sumerian anu/ilu = Hebrew el?

Ragozin mentioned Chinese bottles found at Nippur.

Bible is the key to all history. Bible says Sumerians (thought by some to be Shinar) from Nimrod son of Cush son of Ham. There used to be a Cushite origin theory. [May sort-of agree with Afrocentrists.] (Though some think Sumer = Shem, or Gomer/Cimmerian = Sumerian? and/or though there are also the Chaldeans/Kasdim/Pekod.)
Nimrod = Ninurta (&/or Ningirsu/Nimirud)?
Nachash = Ningish.zida?

Sumerians were Capelids.
Nimrod was a giant and hunter.
CroMagnons were tall and hunters.

Alford/Sitchin/Rohl & Berosus/kinglists & Bible seem to agree that earliest Sumerian cities developed from gulf/south to north (line roughly from Eridu to Babylon). [Similar to Tiahuanaco/Atlantis.]
"Enoch/Irad" may be Eridu, Babel may be Eridu or Badtabira, Erech may be Uruk or Larak. (Shinar may be Senkereh/Larsa or Sumer or Dingir?)

Japheth/north, Shem/middle, Ham/south
Enlil/north , Anu/centre, Ea/Enki/south
[Tur, Salm/Sayrima, Iraj?]

Many orthodox sources agree that the earliest origin place of culture was in the syria/ararat/armenia/assyria/n.w.iran crescent area just like Bible says.

The ziggurats are connected with Tower of Babel?
Tho some say the ziggurats orientation/alignment to north-east may indicate Sumerians from Aralu in n.e.?

Has 'Sharrukin' gone missing again?

Waddell wrote an entire dictionary on Sumerian - Aryan ( http://books.google.com/books?id=_Ec7xC1dFmsC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false ). But is it sound?  He also claims that Sargon the Great was an Aryan and that there's no evidence to show the contrary.  Is this true?  He's also the one that equates the place-name Barase to Parsa (Persia).  These are all really amazing claims if they are true.  

Post Reply Post Reply