Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWho are the descendants of ancient Scythi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Murtaza View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who are the descendants of ancient Scythi
    Posted: 08-Jun-2005 at 14:42

Well But turks were there. We are not british who went America, We are Turks who lived middle asia.

I dont understand if they are persian, why we have an agt(Which can be say after the death of one people) for Alper Tunga.

1.Alp Er Tunga ldi mi?         &am p;nb sp; 

Esiz acun kald m?         &am p;nb sp;      

zlek in ald m?     

Emdi yrek trtulur.

2.Begler atn argurup

Kadgu an turgurup

Mengzi yzi sargarup

Krkm angar trtlr.  

This words are old. I dont even know some of them. They are not new. Why we make agts for Iranians?

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2005 at 15:39

Please find me one neutral source that says they are Turkic, every neutral source that I have read says they are Iranic.

By the way, your name is Persian too.

Morteza.

Edited by Zagros Purya
Murtaza View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2005 at 15:56

Zagros Purya

Well I dont care If my name is persianBy the way my name is not Murtaza

I just dont understand why we have an at. Nothing more. I have not much history knowledge.

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2005 at 16:46
Alp Er Tunga is not a Scythian name, it is a name invented by Turkish Nationalistic history writers, it's as easy as that.
baracuda View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2005 at 00:32
Right.. turkish nationlism, maybe we should be iranian nationalists and call him Efrasyap, or Assurian and call him Maduva, or Madyes .... choose your pick..
ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2005 at 02:17
Murtaza, Turks must've entered the region sometime... you can't say they were always there, even Iranians migrated to Iran. Of course, human beings started in Africa, so obviously ancestors of all Iranic, Turkic, Chinese, Slavs etc... came from somewhere else! so, Scythians migrated to the region, they were a group of people believed to be with Aryan descent and spoke an Indo-Iranian language; therefore, from an academic stand point they would be categorized under Iranic community. At the end of your post you wrote "I dont understand if they are persian" well... they're not. They were Iranians, not Persians. Persians are considered to be a sub-category under Iranians just like Scythians.

"why we have an agt(Which can be say after the death of one people) for Alper Tunga."
- I didn't understand this part.. any hint you could give?

@ Purya, Murtez or Murtaz is not a Persian name, it's arabic with a Semetic origin. If you notice in the Perso-Arabic script (مرتضی) you'll see a "Y" at the end that pronounces "", that's because it's a Semetic word.
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
Murtaza View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2005 at 03:05

The resulting
effect is that a Turk is looking up to another, a more ancient
Turk, to emulate as a role model. Among these role models, six
are rather significant and recalled by name. Alp Er Tunga is the
first. He is revered even by his medieval "biographers" and his
name repeatedly appears in the Kultigin stela of the Orkhon
group

On the same man, Balasagunlu Yusuf, in Kutadgu Bilig comments:
     "If you observe well you will notice that the Turkish
     princes are the finest in the world. And among these Turkish
     princes the one of outstanding fame and glory was Tonga Alp
     Er. He was the choicest of men, distinguished by great
     wisdom and virtues manifold. What a choice and manly man he
     was, a clever man indeed--he devoured this world entire! The
     Iranians call him Afrasiyab, the same who seized and
     pillaged their realm."9

Kashgarli Mahmut, in Diwan Lugat at-Turk also cites an elegy for
Alp Er Tonga:
     "Has Alp Er Tonga died? / Does the wicked world remain empty
     of him? / Has time exacted its revenge upon him? / Now the
     heart bursts..."10

Kashgarli further identifies him:
     "Tunga (tiger)...King Afrasiyab, Chief of the Turks, meaning
     a man, a warrior, (as strong as) a tiger."11

http://www.aihgs.com/kuyas.htm

I dont think Alp  Er Tunga is fictional, Temujin

Turkish Nationalism  dont have much history. Maybe 100-150 year.

Ramin who is this king afrasiyab? I think you know him?

Anyidea if he is saka or not?

Murtaza View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2005 at 03:07
This is the only english article I can  find about Alp  Er Tunga
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2005 at 05:08

Damn those Iranian nationalists at encyclopedia!!

http://www.encyclopedia.com/html/s/scythia.asp

http://www.encyclopedia.com/html/s/sarmatia.asp

Damn these Iranian nationalists are everywhere!!!!

http://www.livius.org/sao-sd/sarmatians/sarmatians.html

Murtaza View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2005 at 05:17

Zargos my friend. This is not related  with Iranian nationalist.  Pls be calm.  Infact I dont understand much why there is Iranian nationalist.

Didnt Islam ban it?

Hushyar View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2005 at 07:52

Its beyond my knowledge to speak about scythian origin and language ,(which is more than half a century its theory remained unchanged and realy needs new archeological discvoveries which is different with sitting in room and and solving puzzles with words)

Just beacuse the names of KAshghari and Ferdowsi has been mentioned,I must say that:

1)The TurAniAn and afrAsiAb story that Ferdowsi mentioned in His book actually dated back to Avestan litreatures and until now nobody knows the exact time of these stories,What we realy know is that they belong to before 7 cnetury B.C. and some claimes (Some) that they originally belongs to time that Iranic tribes lived in Transxosania.
Ferdowsi didn't have any kowledge about that time and actually his knowledge about history didn't go far from SAsAnaids.He thaught that (and I think it was logical in 1000 years ago) those Turanians were Turks (very similar names) and these Turks lived in where that Turanian lived of course in Ferdowsi time knowledge.From What he remembered or what his fathers told him or what he knew about Islamic history and even late SAsAnaid sources (4 century before him) all said that Turks were there,So what was wrong to conclude that Turks were there for ever?But he never noticed that all of the Turanian names were Iranic and even he himself mentioned that Iranians Turanians and Salms(Sarms??) were all of same origin.

2)KAshaghari was diferent,He wrote one of the first dictionaries(and actually encyclopedias) in Islamic world,Not first but he was one of the pioneers and He was first in Turkic languages(up to what I know),So he was a linguistic,of course by that time standard, but he had mistakes too, for example he thaught that Qazvin is a turkish name,(and he didn't knew that this city named Keshvin in time of Sasanaids and used as a citadal agaisnt Deylams) or he claimed similar thing about Qom and it was wrong.
 Alp ar Tungha (I hope I spell it corectly) is not invention of Panturks.It is one of the fictious personalities in old Turkic cultures that Kashghari mentioned him (and we knew nothing from him except what Kashghari said may be i am wrong).Kashghari like others had many respect for Ferdowsi (actually all had and gave Ferdowsi the title of Hakim) and when he compared the shAhnAmeh and Old Turkic Stories,He tried to find a relationship between thse two,so He thaught that (again logically in that time) that the famous afrAsiab,arJAsb,KhoshnavAz,Tur,Pashang,Gersivaz,..all of them are same persons and he was Alp ar Tungha.

What I want to say is that when you reffered to Ferdowsi or Kashghari,your reference must be objective.First both ShAhnAmeh personalities and Turkick personalities are fictious and they did not neccesarily refer to Historical personalities.

And Murtza I don't think Alp er tunga has ever been mentioned in orkhun monument and the first time kAshghari reffered to it and I think it is completely fictional person like many other cultures who had fictional personalities,do you realy believe the stories of she-wolf or shu or Oghuz khan are real? do you realy believe had ever a person like Herkul existed I don't think so.

Hushyar View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2005 at 07:55

Another point which creates many misunderestanding:

For the God's Sake don't mix the term Persian ,Iran,Iranian and Iranic.

Iranic:Is a group of IE languages that have common ancestor and mainly are In Iranian Plateu(not only Iran) but some of them exist or existed in outer regions (like ossetians now or Scythian and Sarmathian according to linguistics)
Iran:is the name of a country and geographical land.As a name of geographical land it was used for 2000 yearsat least.Ardeshir bAbaKAn founder of SAsAnaid Dynasty called himself ShAhanshAh of Iran.His Son Shapur I called himself SHAhanshAh of Iran and Aniran.(By Aniran he meant out of Iran which were Armenia and KushAnshahr)
Iranian:those who live in iran and consider themselves as Iranian,Azaris like shAh Ismail or those arabs who fought in Iran_Iraq war in Khuzestan are considered Iranians,They are not Iranics or persians.Pashtuns are considered Iranics but they are not Iranians.
Persian:has three meaning a) name of a language which belongs to Iranic language group and in the old it was called Dari persian which is official language of TAjikestan and Iran and one of the Oficial languages of Afghanistan.b)the name of an Iranic nation who in Old time setled in Modern day Fars and Bushehr provinces and later conquered Elamites in modern day Khuzestan and Ilam provinces.They at first were median vassals but later defeated them and founded two dynasty in Iranian history Achaemnids and SAsAnaids.
 c)Greeks called the Iranian as persian and this name remained for Iran and Iranians even until now and many peoples got confused about this names.If you know the difference its ok to use Persia and Persian in place of Iran but if it is confusing please use the correct words.

Murtaza View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2005 at 09:08

And Murtza I don't think Alp er tunga has ever been mentioned in orkhun monument and the first time kAshghari reffered to it and I think it is completely fictional person like many other cultures who had fictional personalities,do you realy believe the stories of she-wolf or shu or Oghuz khan are real? do you realy believe had ever a person like Herkul existed I don't think so.

Well  in Some Turkish page say Alp er Tunga refered in orkhun monument .But cant find any source other than Turk about Alp er Tunga.

And I think there is an other epic about sakas.u epic. It explains war between sakas(As Turk) and Great  Alexander.Again I think It comes  from kAshghari.

So maybe some greek source? Hmm..

I dont know if they were turk or  not, But It looks like kAshghari thinks. They  were Turks.

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2005 at 11:37

The classical Roman, Latin, and Armenian historians (like Theodoretus, Sidonius, and Priskos) expressed the Khuns as Scythians The writer of this paper determined that some old graves in Mangislak of Kazakhstan, Hiva of Uzbekistan, and historical uybat city of Hakasya and some styles of clothing are commonly belonging to Khuns and Scythlaus.

Schthians were considered as a Turkic ruling class with a mix Turkic-Iranic population.

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2005 at 11:45

Scythian Religious Terms

Most of the Scythic gods mentioned by Herodotus around 500BC. have excellent Ural-Altaic, rather than Iranian explanations. Here is a more detailed list of religious & mythological terms which were recorded by Herodotus and their Ural-Altaic comparisons.

The main agglutinative languages of Asia today are Finn-Ugor(Uralic), Altaic (Turkic,Mongol,..) and Dravidian (in India). In the past most of Iran and the near east also spoke such languages, like Sumerian, Elamite, Hurri, Urartuan, Hatti, Guti, Lulubi, Kassite.. Their effect on Semitic languages therefore is also evident. These ancient Mesopotamian agglutinative languages in fact shared a lot of common vocabulary with the current language families, and were not isolated and unrelated until they were split due to the P.I.E. invasion, even though there were naturally some differences in pronunciation and some changes in the meaning of the root words. The following list will emphasize the commonly shared basic words as they relate to Scythian religious terms.

Tab-iti = "Hestia" fire god according to Herodotus The following words have to do with fire, aspects of fire or working with fire.

1.Scythic tab = fire
Hurrian tib-ir = god of fire "vulcan"
Sumerian tab = fire
Egyptian tep = fire, burn, flame
Ugrian tab-it,tab,tut= fire
Hungarian tu"z = fire t>s>z
Hungarian tap-lo = tinder
Sumerian tibira = metal worker, smith, to hit **
Turkic timur = iron (smith>>?) Turkic tod=fire
Hungarian tibor = persn.name(was smith)

2.Scythian iti ? =father
Sumerian adda =father
Elamite atta =father
Mede atu =father
Dravidian atu =father
Finnic atti =father,grandfather **
[Vot,Cher,Mordv,Eston,Sam]

Chuvash atte =father
Hungarian atya =father,patriarch
Turkic ata =father

Though not unique to U.A. this word is very common there.

Oeto-syr-(us)= "Apolo"=sun god, according to Herodotus

1.Sumerian utu =sun/time god
Sumerian ud =time
Sumerian iti =month
Hungarian Id =time
Ujgur d =time
Turkic t =sun
Turkic ot =fire.
Mongol ot-utsir =cause of years

2.Scythian syr =royal or king
Sumir sar =king
Scythian Sauro-mata=descendants of "royal" scythians **
Etrusk ae-sar =god >> Latin cesar
Assyrian kari-ja =ruler
Kotanese chara =commander,leader
Hun chur =prince
Hun kur-sik =a Hun ruler
Parthian ar-sak =ruler
Hungarian ur-sag =lordship k>h>-
Hungarian kor-many =govern-ment
Tibetan chor =ruler
Petcheneg chur =commander,leader
Kirghiz choro =commander,leader
Turk chur =early rulers (archaic)

Scythian Apia ="mother earth"

The birth of the world from the primeval great sea is shared by many from the Finns to most ancient myths. This following is a highly unreliable and questionable explanation based on the worlds origin from the sea.

1.Sumerian a-ab-ba =the sea, (NUMA=goddes of the sea)
Sumerian ia =god of wisdom/sea lands
Hungarian hab =wave, foam
Ugrian xump =wave

Artim-pasa ="celestial aphrodite", according to Herodotus
1.Sumerian a'r =a praise
Mongol Er-gim-basa =important,prominent person
Turkic Er-dem-pasa =head of righteusness?
Turkic Ar-dam =virtue
Hungarian Er-dem =virtuous,praisworthy
Cuman er-deng =virgin

2.Scythic pasa =chief or god
Sumerian basu =elder man
Ugric Paz =god
Turkic bash>basha =head>prince
Chuvash pus =head
Sumerian pa =top,chief
Osman beyin =head
Finn-Ugor paa,paaye =head
Hungarian fo",fey =top,head,chief p>f
Hungarian feye-del-em=prince
Dravidian pay =head
Thami-mas-ada(s) = "Poseidon"=sea god according to Herodotus
Thagi-mas-ada =alternate spelling, from other reference.

1.Mongol dagas, tagas =sea d>t
Mongol teng-rim =god
Sumerian ding-ir =god
Sumerian eng-ur =subteranean sea
Hun t'ing-li =god (Chinese ref R>L)
Hungarian teng-er =sea
Hungarian dag-ay =tides of the moon (dag=swelling)
Hungarian is-ten =god
Turkic teng-ere =god
Turkic teng-iz,ten-iz =sea r>z in Turkic

2.Sumir mis = prince/youngman/hero(like Gilga-MES)
Ugor mosh = man
Dravidian mas,mac = man
Hungarian meshe = folk tale, from hero tale
Turk masal = folk tale
Russian mozer-ian = Baskir (turkecized magyar)
Dravidian maga = male s>g
Hungarian magy-ari=man>>hungarian s>sh>z'>gy
Tuva madir = hero

3. see above for ATA = father
1.Tama also as temer =sea/lake
Scythian temer =lake/sea
Sumir tim =lake or well
Hungarian tav =lake m>v
Finnic ti =lake,sea [Vog,Ost,Zurj,Votj,Sam,Selk]
Cheremis tomoz =[Collianders ref,w/o explanation]
Selkup tama =river mouth??

Exam-pe-us means "The holy way" according to Herodotus

1.Ugor cham,kami =spirit,holy
Turkic kam =shaman,holy
Japanese kami =godly spirit
Hawaian hemo-lele =holy spirit

2.Scythic peus =pathway d>t>s
Sumir bad =far away, remote
Hungarian fs-vny =forrest pathway d>t>s p>f
Hungarian bal-ag =stroll d>l, p>b

Papa-ios or Pa-paios "Zeus" king/ancestor/father of the gods.

1.Sumerian ab,abba =father,old man,elder p/b
Sumerian basu =old man
Akkadian abu =father >> Semitic languages
Mongol baba =lord, father
Turk baba =father, ancestor (clan head)
Bulgar baba =ruler (old Bulgar Hun)
Osman aba =father
Dravidian apa,apu,apan =father
Hungarian apa,apu =father
Hungarian ba-chi =respected elder man s>ch
Ujgur ba-ch =respected elder man s>ch
Mede,Elamite an-apa =chief god "heavenly father"

Elamite ne-bo =royal, heavenly ruler
Dravidian,Egypt,Polynesian,Hungarian
=nip,nab,anapu,nap=fire/light/sun
If second segmentation is correct see reference to head/chief.

2."ios"

Chuvas as+atte =grand+father
Hungarian o"sh =ancestor,ancient
Turk yash =elderly,time

-------- other --------------

Ash has the meaning of first,one,ancestor [Sumir,Turk,Hung]
Assyria Ash-ur =pre-semitic father of gods
According to Herodotus, they use no images, altars, or temples except in the worship of Ares the war god. .. whose main symbol is the blood soaked sword placed on top of a mound. Similarly in 12th century Hungarian Chronicles, -not invented recently- the custom of the blood soaked sword, was carried around in times of war calling to arms all able bodied men. Those not heeding this warning could be tossed into slavery. Also the custom of burrying swords on top of mountain top point up continued amongst Transylvanian Hungarians. Blood oaths
were also identical to Scythian and Parthian customs.**

Their burial customs included the burial of the chief with his favorite horses and often his wife in a burial mound. The horse burial was common among Sumerians (onager), Scythians, Huns, Turks, Cumans, Hungarians.

Indo-saka tope =a mound
Sumir dub =mound,hill
Egypt tep =mound,hill
Turkic tepe =mound,hill
Ugrian tomp =mound,hill,island
Hungarian domb =mound,hill
Sanskrit stupa =temple in shape of a mound

The Buddha was a prince of the Scythian [SAKA] tribe of the Budda.
Herodotus also mentions a "Bud-ini" tribe in Eastern Europe. Budun
can mean "people" in Turkic.

Daughter of Boristen(es)

Herodotus mentioned more than one myth of origin for the Scythians.
One of these claimed the mating of Papaois (Zeus) and the daughter of "Bor-isten", as the father of Targi-taur-us the father of the Scythian nations. His sons were supposedly Leip-ox-ais, Arp-ox-ais, and Col-ax-ais. The "ax" term is U.A. [UK] for clan,family while "ais" is more common in Turkic [yas] and Hungarian [o"s] as "ancestor". The root name is therefore Leip, Arp, and Col .. similar to the the following:

Scyth Mede ................Parthian .........................Hungarian ***

Arp-ox-ais
Arp-ax-ad ..................Ehrp-at ..........................Arp-ad (-ed=diminutive)

Leip-ox-ais ......................................................- Leb-ed=Lev-ed b>v

Col-ax-ais ..................Kal-du -.......................... Kaal,Kal-ti,Gaal

The Targi-taur name is also but a variant of the Tarx-an name, whichwere the Parthian "prince" and Turk "nobility" and also the source of the Hungarian Taryan tribal name. (Etrusk Tarkini-us ??) ***

NAGA/NAICK

Another version claimed Heracles and a half serpent (mermaid like) being as the ancestors of the Scythians. Both have ties with similar stories among other Ural-Altaic legends. Starting with the serpent like mother of the Scythians, who in India was called Naga, by the local Scythian incomers. The NAK suffix and root word also has a very rich set of meanings in the Ugrian languages, including

( 4, feminine, joint-vertabra, genetive - source, navel, rule of
important person.)

To a lesser extent the root word is part of most U.A. and Sumerian languages. Several of the local Scythian tribes use this word for chief/ruler "Naick". Similarly the Ugrians Nay=queen, Nayer=king. Hungarian Nyek tribe. (Scythian NAICK-erde tribe next to the Aral Sea.)

BOR-isten

The term Bori, Buri, Pur is an ancient term referring to a totemic ancestor of many Ural-Altaic nations. Seen on the pertoglyps of the Altai and Sayan. Now due to its animal - totemic nature, the animal may be different even though its totemic name is the same, for it represents the "ancestor spirit". Among some, the *"horned" deer is the ancestor like Hungarians and some Scythians.

In time some of the characteristics of the stagg totem were transferred over to the horse, which was on ceremonial occasions decorated with antlers. The Persian story of Rustvanshad (of eastern, non Iranian origin) reflects the close analogy with the Hungarian legend and even calls the queen "sar-istani"=doe-goddes.

Some Hun tribes also had a hind totem as is illustrated in stone engravings from Mongolia and frescoes from Dung-Huan.

Also European references to their myths. The Greek goddes Artemis which is just the borrowed form of the Scythian Artimpaz, is also symbolized with the horned-doe, indicating her identity with the Scythian totemic mothergoddess. These symbols can be traced from Luristan, to the Scythians, and Huns over a very wide area of Asia rather than from I.E. terrytories to them.

There is even a Japanese legend of the ancestors hunting a magical stagg, who in the process find the island of Japan. A few references from Gyula Laszlo's "Regeszeti Tanulmanyok" illustrate the BUR, PUR, BUW name with examples.

BUR-kan =god in Teleut, Sor, Sagaj, Kachinco, Koibal, Kara-gas, Soyot. "PUR" =the son of the chief god Ulgen, among the Teleut.

He is the ancestor of man. The Urjanchai shaman calls the ancestor spirit, the horned-doe, as my "grandmother". The Kirghiz call their ancestress "Bu-gu", who is imagined as a horned woman. Some tribal names which derive from the horned ancestress/ancestor are the Ujgur Buga-syr clan, Kirghiz Bur-lak (bull), Bur-das. Among the Ugrians PARI-aske, I believe is the name of Noah, the ancestor of man. This again is Christianized from the original. The Hungarian word for people/man em-BER is probably related. A Hungarian balad of the stagg also shows the heavenly association as the mother not just of man, but the cosmos. It has been slightly Christianized over a millenia.

"Wonderous headed hind, with horns of thousand branches and knobs
Thousand branches and knobs (shining like) a thousand candles
Amongst its horns it carries the light of the blessed sun
On its forehead a star, on its chest the moon
It starts on the banks of the heavenly Danube (Milky Way/river)
That it may be the messenger of heaven and bringer of good news
About our creator and caring god."

According to the Byzanteen historian, Procopius.
"The nation of the Uti-gurs and Kuti-gur Huns originate from the
twin sons of a Hun king. The twins separated from their father
during the hunting of a stagg. .. These same Huns also had two
princes called Mauger and Gorda, who ruled after their father's
death." Much like parts of the Hungarian legends Hunor & Magor.

A Greek legend of the origin of the Anatolian Megari claims that Zeus maries a Scythian nymph and their childred are the source of this nation. In another variation the sons of Zeus and Nemesis, are known as the Gemini twins. According to Greek tradition even Zeus originates from the east. The pre-Vedic Gathas also call the constellation Capricorn by the name Makar, while Gemini is Mit-huna. Much like the Hunor and Magor twins of Hungarians dealing with the mythical stagg. Similarly the Sumerian god ENKI is also known as Daramah the "great stagg", whose other symbol is the fish, the combination of the two is Capricorn.

Many of the Hun and Turkic tribes had the wolf and various dog breeds as the totem animals and in Turkic languages bo"ru" refers to wolf. Herodotus also mentions the Scythian NEURI, who "turn into wolves once per year.. as a ceremony no doubt. This tribal name is much like the Hurrian NAIRI tribal name. The royal tribes of the Huns had the dragon (LIU-ente dynasty) as their totem like the Medes and royal Scythians. It would only be natural for the royal Scythians to have the half serpent half woman being to be their ancestress with the type of legend Herodotus related about the mating of Zeus with such a mythical "mermaid", which Herodotus calles the daughter of Bor-isten(es).

bor-ISTEN

Isten in Hittite and Hattic was a sun god while in Parthian and Hungarian it is God, (Is=Os=ancestor). A Parthian temple to their mother goddess Nana in the city of Nisa included an inscription on its walls of the following phrase N.N.Y.S.T.N. ="Nana Isten". Ysten in the ancient Yzdanite religion of Iran, was the uncreated, eternal, nonmaterial creator of all, the ONE-god=universal. Their sacred book the DAB-ISTAN was supposedly handed down from the time of the pre-Iranian Peshdadian monarchs and translated to Iranian. **

HulaguHan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2005 at 19:29

I have some humble advices to some of the Turks here.

I do not think, it would worth to break the heart of our Gentleman Iranians like Ramin, Cyrus Shahmiri, etc... I do not think claiming some people belong to some nation does not worth to break our friendship here.

My sources like Grousset claims, Scythians as Iranic people. Yes Gokturks invaded Sogdiana in 6th century but before it it was governed by Iranic kingdoms. Not the River Oxus but the one one the north (Turkish name should be Seyhun) is the real ancient Turko-Iranian border.

Off course now even most of Khurasan is in Turkic hands, Turkmenistan.

magavan View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2005 at 21:34
I think Turkish people do not accept their young story and culture.
Hushyar View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2005 at 00:52

Murtaza

Shu Story you mean? I can't see your"sh",but I think you meant that. it is also only mentioned in Kashghari and he said that Dholqarnain want to conquer of turkish lands and tells story of bravery of a youth named shu and his 22 men(or 24?),but It is still imagination,Does Dholqarnain is the same Alexander?Did this shu is historical man?Did it have any relationship with soghdian cities that resisted aganist Alexander?you know If this story reffered to Alexander(which I have doubt)there was 1400 years distance between Kashghari and Alexander and How Kashghari had any knowledge about Alexander time?Alexander a that Time was completely a fictious person in Islamic litreature and there was not many real facts about his life.

I dont know if they were turk or  not, But It looks like kAshghari thinks. They  were Turks.

I think you'd better say Turanian instead of Saka's because at that time nobody in Islamic countries knew anything about Saka's.So with your permission(Excuse me plz) I rearrange your sentence in this form:
"Kashghari thaught that Turanians were Turks."
I realy love this kind of remarks,because they are scientific and you seperate what you think and what is fact.

About Greek sources I am sorry I never had any access to greek sources (except Herodotus),but I know two source has been referenced for Alexander's conquests 1)Plotarkh 2)Arrien in 2nd B.C.

Hushyar View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2005 at 00:56

The article that you mentioned is very old(or the author make it from an older article )and completely is known in web and heavily criticized.It was based on works of a Hungrain named Gyula Meshzarosh who prepared a list of Hugrian sumerian finnish and Turkish and Ilamids and tried to prove that they are the same.This list was used by Pulat Kaya and selahi Diker and Mirfatah Zakiev and some Hungerian nationalists.Because I am not linguistic I can not say anything about accuracy of this article ,but I must say that this list have some difficulties.
1)the sumerian words are not totally correct,I mean the writer of this list didn't know sumerian and just looked at a vocbulary list of Sumerian languages
2)I remembered (in another forum) that one of the finnish members claimed that the finnish words are not corect.(we have many finnish forumers in this forum and I hope they would help us,I think one of them is linguistic or atleast is familiar with linguistics)
3)Some of the words that have been claimed turkish are not turkish originally but IE for example the word Baba or PaPa are certaily IE.

and another thing that I must repeat another time:

Theory of Iranic origin of scythians is more than half a century old and its theory remained unchanged and realy needs new archeological discvoveries which is different with sitting in room and and solving puzzles with words.
So if you realy believe that this theory is wrong the answer is under the soils of Kazakhistan and russia and Ukraine.(and unfortunately none of them are realy inerested for this luxury investigations at the moment)

Originally posted by oguzoglu

The classical Roman, Latin, and Armenian historians (like Theodoretus, Sidonius, and Priskos) expressed the Khuns as Scythians

Theodoretus and Priskos were byzanthian Historians and completely well known and it is true long after disappearance of scythians byzanthian historians named nomadic peoples of pontic steppe as Scyhtians,it was a general name and does not prove any thing,I'm sure none of them ever saw a Hun.On the other hand Ammianus Marcellinus who himself was a millitary man and gave us first hand explanations of Hun's feature and it shows that Huns were diferent from all of the peoples that Romans and greeks saw,(Short and fat body,Small and slant eye,few facial hair,short and thick neck,and their unique special style of war)
And dear Sidonius,I didn't know this writer of Gardens and flowers and a hero in front of goths said anything about HUns,If he said ,I realy want to know.

Hushyar View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2005 at 00:58

And the last quote:

You guys are brave,realy brave because speaking about scythians needs full archeological knowledge,full knowledge of linguistics,knowing Old Ie languages specially Indo-Iranian branch (Avestan,and Vedan sanskrit) full knowledge of Old  turkic languages,finno ugric languages,Paleo Asiatic languages,Caucasian languages and knowledge of Urartu ,assyrian,and Grrek texts.This is realy huge knowledge and Icons like Ivanov had this knowledge.For me discussing about origin of scythians looks like speaking about correctness of Super string Theory (nowadays M theory) and Loop quantum gravity.
I don't know none of them,but because most theoricians believed that M theory is correct , I accept that.About scythians I accept the current theory of most historians and accept they are Iranic.(may be in future something will shake the foundation of this theory like finding a text ,like Orkhun texts in mongolia ot tocharian texts in Tarim basin) 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>