Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJuly 4th 1776

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: July 4th 1776
    Posted: 04-Jul-2013 at 09:20
237 years. Not much in the cosmological scale. But on the scale of human events....there have been relatively only a few events that historians can link a causal relationship too that would impact events on a global scale.

And I am a historian.

I've seen many come and go. Some in faraway places from my beloved Llano. Always there was a picnic or BBQ and eventually beer drinking. Once or thrice there was even cold c-rations in the rain. And dark. Or fog. Or cold ass blizzard winds, whipping snow and sleet; perched on a mountain side with a Cav platoon.

But always even when wearing one, I never forgot the meaning and the defenders, in uniform, of the day. America is a great nation which has over it's short course run, made many mistakes. Yet it's basic premise and basic promise still remains the promulgation of those words written in 76. Boldly spoken and then defended.

To the men and women in uniform, today, thank you. Wherever you are and whatever uniform you wear. To those who have gone before to include my old man, seven uncles, and many friends and Red Sr. Thank you. To my allies around the world I say the same.

You really can't understand Independence Day in America unless ya come here and see this land.

Yes we might be a tad arrogant and appear self serving to others....but in truth the vast majority of us are not. And we do indeed love our nation and our friends. And if you still think we are arrogant then you have no one to blame but yourselves...for America is the world. Peoples from many lands are here and still come here. It's what makes us unique and proud. And those same peoples, bringing their love of home and ethnicity and traditions to these lands, still learn to merge and create an even better place to be.

Happy Birthday America.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2013 at 11:16
Happy Birthday USA!SmileClap
TITAN_ View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2013 at 11:18
Happy birthday then!  

What about those statistics though? (No trolling intended)

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/how-far-has-the-u-s-fallen-america-leads-the-world-in-these-36-shocking-categories_072013

αἰὲν ἀριστεύειν
Een aristevin
“Ever to Excel“
From Homer's Iliad (8th century BC).
Motto of the University of St Andrews (founded 1410), the Edinburgh Academy (founded 1824) and others.
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2013 at 12:20
As it happens, my daughter is sixteen today. Simple minded knee jerkers suggested that we should call her LIBERTY.   Sod that, I told them, between my wife's family and mine we had nine ancestors killed during the French Indian Wars  ( three at Ticonderoga alone ) and the little punch up between chums that followed nearly thirty years later.   So, we gave the brat as true an English name as we knew - Carenza
( it's actually Cornish , but what the diff. ! ).

As I understand it ( and corroborated by many American friends ), the family tiff of 1776 arose from England's attempts to impose taxes upon the locals in order to recoup the costs of defending the Thirteen Colonies from the depredations of the French and those Indian tribes allied to them. 

Of course, those expected to pay those taxes were not exactly happy bunnies at the prospect of having to do so, a situation exacerbated by being refused the right to vote in return for divvying up the dosh, but, nevertheless, it's a bit thin to then become mutinous rebels over it.  Sure, you got your Independence, and you're welcome to it, and, as ever was, the Frogs could be trusted to come swarming out of their scabby hovels when England was being knocked about a bit ( a habit they share with the Irish, a race that perfected the philosophy that  " Any enemy of England is......blah, blah, blah ! ) , so, enjoy your Independance, but where has it got you ?   Does America not now find herself, not just being regarded as the Great Satan by virtually every Muslim and Arab nation, but also being regarded as a lot less than Flavour of the Month by virtually everybody else ?          
Emperor
Emperor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2013 at 18:16
Originally posted by TITAN_

Happy birthday then!  
What about those statistics though? (No trolling intended)
http://www.thedailysheeple.com/how-far-has-the-u-s-fallen-america-leads-the-world-in-these-36-shocking-categories_072013

Ref yer thread. Good fodder wrong sub. Start it in Philosophy.

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2013 at 18:18
Originally posted by Marlin47

As it happens, my daughter is sixteen today. Simple minded knee jerkers suggested that we should call her LIBERTY.   Sod that, I told them, between my wife's family and mine we had nine ancestors killed during the French Indian Wars  ( three at Ticonderoga alone ) and the little punch up between chums that followed nearly thirty years later.   So, we gave the brat as true an English name as we knew - Carenza
( it's actually Cornish , but what the diff. ! ).
As I understand it ( and corroborated by many American friends ), the family tiff of 1776 arose from England's attempts to impose taxes upon the locals in order to recoup the costs of defending the Thirteen Colonies from the depredations of the French and those Indian tribes allied to them. 
Of course, those expected to pay those taxes were not exactly happy bunnies at the prospect of having to do so, a situation exacerbated by being refused the right to vote in return for divvying up the dosh, but, nevertheless, it's a bit thin to then become mutinous rebels over it.  Sure, you got your Independence, and you're welcome to it, and, as ever was, the Frogs could be trusted to come swarming out of their scabby hovels when England was being knocked about a bit ( a habit they share with the Irish, a race that perfected the philosophy that  " Any enemy of England is......blah, blah, blah ! ) , so, enjoy your Independance, but where has it got you ?   Does America not now find herself, not just being regarded as the Great Satan by virtually every Muslim and Arab nation, but also being regarded as a lot less than Flavour of the Month by virtually everybody else ?          

Don't particularly give a happy shitze about Muslims that don't live here. As for flavor of the month? They don't drink what I do anyhoo...so...machts nichts.

Send my congrats to your daughter for her birth day.

Ntl, we thank yer for yer support.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 04-Jul-2013 at 18:20

S. T. Friedman

Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2013 at 00:41
A very commendable attitude on your part, Centrix Vigilis, but a tad shorted nevertheless, methinks.
However, America being as powerful as it is, it can afford to dismiss the wrath of others, notably those of a dusky hue. On the other hand, being dismissive may be a kindlier option than others potentially available to her !

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2013 at 10:49
A very good friend, the late William Paulsen, formerly the Motoring correspondant for one of the big London dailys, and a Spitfire Pilot in WWII,  once told me that, the US will always be despised by the Brits.  Regardless of our aid to them etc.  Because we refused to stay under the crown and when the British denied us the rights we asked for, we took them by arms and booted most of the loyalists out.  "Mutinous Rebels"?  Yeah, but your folks made us that way.

Bill also told me that a favorite hobbie in the UK was to work out ways to be friendly while offending us at the same time, smiling all the while.
Marlin, your not the first, but you are the most classic I've run into.  In a few short  paragraphs you managed to insult both my wife's heritage and mine.  My wife is French Canadian, and the branch of my family that was met at the boat by the other branch, was Irish.  The other branch was Brass Ankle Cherokee.
All of this just serves to inforce my view of the British as being sore losers.Wink  Further supported by your actions during the War of 1812.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Emperor
Emperor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2013 at 11:46
This wasn't intended to be an ego stroking or a covert American bash thread by anyone.

Merely recognition of Independence day.

It went south rapidly. And has nothing to do with my personal peccadilloes about anything in particular. So. If ya want to talk about Americans, good, bad or indifferent....fine.... go to the appropriate sub and start another thread.

Thread locked.

Why?

Because before it degenerates further and feelings get bruised or a nationalistic bombardment of words commences as a result, commonly referred to as a flame war, which be a violation of the Coc... the Sheriff up on the Llano says so...

That's why.

Besides it's the 5th of July now.

S. T. Friedman

Post Reply Post Reply