Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boston terrier versus Jack Russell.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boston terrier versus Jack Russell.
    Posted: 03-Jul-2013 at 02:15
It's generally agreed that Jack Russell's are amongst the smartest dogs in the World. I've had a few and wouldn't disagree with that.  At the moment I've got a couple of black Labs. as dogs to accompany me when I go shooting, and three Border terriers to keep the rats and mice out of the stable block.

My wife has just bought a Boston terrier as her pet.  The little bugger is as ugly as a box of frogs !  Not only that, but his tongue is so long that at least a third of it lolls outside his lips most of the time. This has distorted his whole face, causing his lower lip to curl over the top one.  His face, therefore, is generally locked into a rictus grin of pure evil ugliness.......but we love him !   And, he is as smart as a whip !

Not only that, but does he earn his keep ?   You bet he does !  Apart from the fact that we love wild songbirds, " Country Life " magazine recently wrote that nesting song birds add much value to the price of a house. At the last count we have one Robin, two Ring Necked doves, three Wood Pigeon and a Wren,
all nesting in the ivy growing on the walls of our house. 

Unfortunately, we now find that crows and magpies are starting to raid these nests.  But, no longer !  Obviously discontent with hiding in patches of shadow on the lawn and leaping up in ambush two or three feet above the ground when they fly by, he has now taken to to jumping up on top of an old water butt in the corner of two walls, and then stalking the pesky critters through the ivy.   The little sod ambushed me yesterday. He jumped out of the ivy five feet above the ground and on to my shoulder. Only the fact that he is Crow Killer par excellence prevented me from dunking him in the water butt !
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2013 at 13:45
Excellent.... breed em to a Llano yote and ya got a natural killer with survival instincts, on the way.

Amen.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2013 at 17:26
Any name with two LL's in in it can normally be attributed to the noble Principality of Wales, but not your Llano, methinks, my friend.  Care to put me out of my ignorance ?
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2013 at 17:43
Isn't Llano, plain, and simply, a Spanish term, CV? Smile
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2013 at 18:09
tis the Spanish indeed, Alani, for 'plain' as in 'Llano Estacado'.

Formally translated it means 'palisaded plain'. This because of the western and eastern escarpment cliffs on either side.

Plainly translated as a result of multi ethnic travel across it's expanses throughout 16th-19th ce. history; it became known as the 'staked plain'. Below are some links reference geo-history etc. And photos.

It takes a great set of hairy's to live up on it or even off the plain to the west in the Pecos Valley. Water be scare.... har har me maties...to damn near non existent.

Modern drilling has conquered that to a large degree... but tis cold as Macbeth's witches teats in the northern expanses and hotter than Hades testicles in summer all over.

Takes stout hearted men, better dogs, and womens with large bosoms, willing to drink copious amounts of alcohol to reside there long term. Nearly wiped out every early farmer-rancher economically during the 'dirty thirty's... dust bowl days. As the soil, in the arable regions, while excellent for hard crops is thin and fragile. Over grazing and farming can be disastrous.

Tis my home of record. And when I'm gone more than a year the hurt to get back is great. The ghosts of the Dura always come home sooner or later.

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ryl02

https://sites.google.com/site/photosbyleaflet/home

S. T. Friedman

Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2013 at 18:10
It is no bad thing that a man be occasionally reminded of his deficiencies, and clearly I am not without same.  The closest I have come to Spain is being Officer of the Guard at the Gibraltar armoury for one night about forty years ago, and to this day I still don't know how the Colonel of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders swung that duty on me, since I was just en route to Aden and wasn't even serving in the same Division at the time. But, knowing and loving the Jocks, I expect that it was Burns Night and that they were all too pissed to stand the guard duty !  So, Llano is of Spanish origins ?  I would never have known ! 
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2013 at 18:33
Well. I could intro ya to the locals as a retired 'Bond...James Bond' type. Don't say much at first...anybody who don't speak twang is suspect. Besides...wont necessarily impress em even if ya do. They be hard to know at first. So bone up on your cattle futures and market trends and steer on the hoof prices..ya will then be good as gold.

And for gawdssake man leave the fracking Bentley at the house. I'll pick ya up in Lubbock; be driving a canary yellow 59 Ford F100. Throw in some hay bales and get ya a 'DeKalb feeds' hat to wear. That will at least get ya close to the city.

If we can get in with out being shot... I'll take ya to the VFW in Dalhart.

Amen.

S. T. Friedman

Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2013 at 02:13
Lubbock. The home of the late great Buddy Holly, is it not ?   Plus, I seem to recall, the location of rather a lot of UFO activity back in the day. Any connection between the two events ?   Well BH was truly Out of this World, so who knows ?

Canary yellow, eh. Sounds beautiful, but won't the Highway Patrol see you coming from the next county ?
And what is a F100, anyway ?    T'aint a T'bird or a Mustang, is it ?  I know, I bet it's a pickup !

About ten years ago I met, for the first time, a man destined to become a great friend and business partner. We agreed to meet in Memphis, Tennessee. I drove there in a rented classic, a Dodge Charger.
And my pal ( who had just bought a new set of wheels earlier in the week ) drove from Tulsa, Oklahoma, where he was an Assistant District Attorney.  

In my Charger I arrived at the hotel way before Dave, so I sat outside smoking a King Edward the VIIth Imperial ( yes, I know, truly a drug store smoke, but where the F**k could I get anything Cuban in Tennessee ! ? ) and drinking mescal ( well, I was told it was mescal by the guy who sold me a bottle from the trunk of his car. Personally, I wouldn't know, since it cauterised my taste buds just by sniffing the cork ! ). 

Anyway, Dave eventually rocks up in a brand new Ford pickup........and painted white, too !  The amount of chromium on this sucker must have depleted the Worlds sources of chrome for at least a year ! And him a lawyer, too.  I imagined he'd turn up in a Caddy, a Mercedes sports, a Lincoln Town Car, or may be even a Jagwaah !  He also sported a pair of well heeled cowboy boots, although at least he'd parked his ten gallon hat on the bench seat beside him, and there was no pump action in the gun rack !...... Just an
M1911 .45 in the glove box !  A lovely guy, but sad to relate, his gorgeous wife left him a few months later. She ran off with one of his office cleaners - a lesbian, Hispanic dyke !   I told him he should have bought a Jagwaah !
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2013 at 06:13
Whilst doing business with Dave in Memphis, one night we went out " on the pull ! ".   In a smoky little Blues club near the old Sun Studio, we met a couple of chicks from Aspen, Colorado.  They were ski instructors and were as fit a butchers dogs.   Daves marriage was rocky at the time, so we just bought them dinner and plenty of whisky sours and later dropped them off at their hotel.

We met them at their hotel for breakfast the following day, having planned to see Gracelands and the Martin Luther King motel etc.
In the interim I had bent Daves ear BIGTIME about these two girls definitely being " up for it ", and how he'd kick himself if he went home to an empty house having not done the business with at least one of 'em, if not both......which was, of course, my intention !

Nursing crashing hangovers ( we'd finished my bottle of Mescal the night before ! !) and drinking black coffee in reception waiting for the girls to come down, the lift doors opened and a bunch of chickens and birds walked out ! Jeez ! I thought I was hallucinating, but, bugger me, if Dave didn't reach into his sock for a little Saturday Night Special he carried.    Whoa, amigo, I told him, I know this is redneck country, but even an ADA can't go shooting up a bunch of birds in a hotel lobby.  Dave was mightily shaken up, as much by his quick drawer tendency as anything else .....me too, compadre, me too !  But he took a snort from my hip flask, which settled him down.  The girls eventually rocked up, a great day was had by all, but an even better night !

Post Reply Post Reply