Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alexander died in Ecbatana

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alexander died in Ecbatana
    Posted: 13-May-2005 at 02:07

People of Hamedan (Ecbatana) believe that Alexander died in their city and there is an ancient tomb near the Hagmatana hill in Ecbatana which is called the Tomb of Alexander for a long time, I think it is possible, we know that Alexander died in the early summer and the summer capital of the Persian empire was Ecbatana, it seems to be strange that Alexander who has conquered a vast empire, stays in a warm city in the summer, even the Babylonian kings left Babylon to the northern cities in this season.

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2005 at 04:32

All the ancient historians write that he died in Babylon.

Perhaps it was his mistake to stay in Babylon in the hot summer months. It was very unhealthy, hot and moist and his probable cause of death was malaria...

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2005 at 05:56

Maybe he was moved to Hamedan when he fell ill?

This is a Macedonain burial monument in Amphipolis:

and this is another one in Hamedan: (There is almost no doubt that it has also been built by Macedonians)

This was also a seated lion like the one in Amphipolis but the hands of this lion were cut off by order of Mardavij when he conquered Hamedan in the 10th century.

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2005 at 07:02

I don't think he was moved. There're records that he continued to inspect troops and the preparations for the invation of Arabia even when he was ill. He died approximatelly 10 days after the got sick so there was no time.

Amphipolis: http://www.culture.gr/2/21/211/21118a/e211ra02.html   http://www.grecian.net/GREECE/macedonia/serres/amphipolis/am phipolis.htm

Lions were a common theme in Greek art. Here's the Lion of Chaeronia:

Lion of Chaeronea

The marble "Lion of Chaeronea" guards the common
 tomb in which members of the Theban Sacred Band
were buried after Philip's victory, in 338 BC. It is said,
that when Philip saw them slain, among tears he said:
"Perish any man who suspects that these men either
 did or suffered anything that was base
".
It was erected, according to Pausanias, by the Thebans
in memory of their dead. Excavation of the tomb brought
 to light 254 skeletons, laid out in seven rows.

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2005 at 11:24
Cyrus, I didn't get your point by comparing lions of Amphipolis and Hamedan. The one in Ecbatana was built during Median Empire (~ 300 years earlier), by their first king (I may be wrong)
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2005 at 12:29

Ramin, sorry you are wrong, it has obviously not an Iranian style, it was said to be a Median statue just because Ecbatana was the capital Median Empire, you can see the similarity between this statue and the one which was posted by Yiannis:

And this an Iranain lion in Persepolis:

conon394 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote conon394 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2005 at 12:54

Of course, aside from lions and where Alexander may or may not have died, the historical record (Pausanias, Diodorus, Plutarch, etc.) is fairly definite: Ptolemy moved the body to Alexandria (disrupting Perddiccas plan to have Alexander buried in Macedonia).

ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2005 at 13:21
@Cyrus;

of course their similiarity is undeniable but what about its age? The lion in Hamedan is also a symbolic statue if I'm not mistaken.

The third lion in Persepolis is a Persian style, to be more specific Achaemenian.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2005 at 13:32
Seems very Greek to me - here's another one (decorated with runes, hehe).
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2005 at 15:30

of course their similiarity is undeniable but what about its age?

Why do you think it belongs to Median period?

The lion in Hamedan is also a symbolic statue if I'm not mistaken.

Yes!

It is interesting to know that Mardavij conquered Hamedan peacefully but, as great historian Masudi who lived in the same period says, when one of his soldiers disrespected this holy lion!!, people of Hamedan revolted against him, Mardavij ordered a three days Massacre in this city but he didn't dare to destroy this statue and just destroyed the hands of it.

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2005 at 09:33

It is also interesting to mention that the Golden medallion of Alexander has been discovered somewhere near Hamedan, it is already in the Archaeological Museum of Shahrekord (a city in the south of Hamedan)

ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2005 at 13:42
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

of course their similiarity is undeniable but what about its age?

Why do you think it belongs to Median period?

well... I'm not trying to deny anything, it's just that when I was a kid I always thought this lion was build by Medians. Eversince then I've never heard anything about this lion up to now. So, what I want to know is that how are you so sure that this is a Macedonian lion? maybe they shared the style with Medians, you know, like so many other things that Greeks and Iranians have had in common (e.g. Architecture, luxuries, etc)
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2005 at 15:45
Ramin, as the Persian kings themselves say most of sculptures and reliefs in Persepolis and Susa have been built by Assyrians and Greeks, in spite of that those are Persian because the Persian culture and thoughts can be seen in them but about this lion I think even Medians had built it, we can't say that it is a Median statue because there is obviously a greek culture behind it, it is a burial monument and there is not something similar to it in Iran, in fact ancient Iranians rarely bury their dead.
ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2005 at 18:36
True, Persian inscriptions indicate they used Assyrians jewellers, Greek and Median stone cutters, and that's about what I remember right now.

About the Ecbatana's Lion I'll try to find some stuff on the web regarding that, not that I reject your point, but still I have see something. anyway, thnx for bringing up this subject
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2005 at 09:41

Thanks, please also search for a picture of the Tomb of Alexander in Hamedan, it has been mentioned as one the most important historical monuments in Hamedan in many Persian sites (without any picture):

http://www.ilna.ir/shownews.asp?code=121203&code1=2
http://www.hamshahri.net/ostans/iraninfo/hamedan/hamedan/mta rikh/btarikh/bta0006a.htm
http://www.hamedanfair.com/hamedan_history.aspx
http://www.hegmataneh.ir/Hamedan13.htm
http://articles.roshd.ir/articles_folder/humanscience/chorog raphy/fali_sadr_caves.htm

It is said to be near the Hagmatana hill, I have visited the hill but not this tomb!

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2005 at 23:27
Originally posted by Yiannis

All the ancient historians write that he died in Babylon.

Perhaps it was his mistake to stay in Babylon in the hot summer months. It was very unhealthy, hot and moist and his probable cause of death was malaria...

or was it alcohol poisining? or maybe poisoned by Antipaters son?  (i seem to also remeber a funny story about acid so cold it could only be stored in an asses hoof )

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2005 at 04:29

Well dear Tribunus, if you can answer that question (what killed Alexander) and -more important- if you can prove it, you'll get the Nobel price for archaeology/history (assuming there's one)

There're so many theories (various sicknesses, poisons, wounds etc) but hte most plausible one seems to be malaria. At least the symptoms seem to be relevant...

Harry Potter View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Harry Potter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 20:51
Im not sure where he died, Babylon or Ecbatana, but his tomb is in Alexandria. The people in Macedonia simply say this, it gets passed down from generation to generation.
Macedonian swear in 1903 wars: With the blood we shed all over Macedonian fields and forests, we serve freedom, as the Macedonian army of Alexander of Macedon did, with our slogan Freedom or Death!
 Post Reply Post Reply