Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The National Health Service

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The National Health Service
    Posted: 07-Jun-2013 at 05:43
My G.P. and I being drinking buddies, I can hardly do other than allow him to attend to my various ailments when they occur ( I don't know why I do this, maybe I hope him to be more discreet, more professional, less condemnatory etc ).   Anyway, he being a NHS sawbones, I am prescribed drugs, unguents, mustard plasters, trusses etc. of an NHS origin.  I am greatly concerned to have noticed of late that these ( well, the drugs at least ) are becoming more similar in their appearance. Gone are the day when capsules, pills and the like used to come in various hues of the rainbow, multiple geometric shapes and sizes ranging from a pea to a pineapple.  Given that from the closing time of the pub at lunchtime***
I am generally too bladdered to find my left hand with my right, this poses many problems since the pills and tablets all look the same to me.  This is extremely irresponsible of the NHS. I think that I'll speak to my MP about it. This shouldn't be too difficult, since most days he's in the pub with me, anyway !

Actually, the pub stays open all day anyway. I just pretend that it keeps the old opening hours otherwise I'd have my bed moved into the bar !
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2013 at 17:14
You will find that it's going to get worse.  There is a sound and logical reason for this, and as usual the UK is ahead of us on this.

The Pharm. industry is well aware how much colored pills appear as "candy" to a toddler.  There is a push on here in the States to rely more on ID numbers, rather than colors.  My wife has been a Certfied Peds. RN for 40 years.  She's been griping for years about the "attractive multi colored goodies" as she and her collegues are the ones who have to deal with the resultant effects.  But as the years go on and my close vision sucks more, I'm now aware of the reasons for magnifying glasses being sold at the counter.Big smile
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2013 at 18:04
Oh, and here is me thinking that it is all a conspiracy on the part of the Goverment to cut costs by providing colourless, shapeless, amorphic medications. Your explanation sounds much more feasible and will be of great comfort to me when I overdose or underdone because I can't recognise one tablet from 
another.
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2013 at 18:10
Originally posted by Marlin47

Oh, and here is me thinking that it is all a conspiracy on the part of the Goverment to cut costs by providing colourless, shapeless, amorphic medications. Your explanation sounds much more feasible and will be of great comfort to me when I overdose or underdone because I can't recognise one tablet from 
another.
Chances are, Marlin47, if they are the type you become very worried now about because of self medicated alcohol, then they may well also be medication which shouldn't be mixed heavily with such libations.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2013 at 18:17
It is my long held experience that most medications only work when washed down with a tumbler of gin.
Perhaps I should ditch the pills and just drink the gin. Might that be sensible, do,you think ?
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2013 at 18:22
By the bye ; it is a rare night that I haven't had half a bottle of whisky before dinner and a bottle of wine with dinner. After dinner it'll be half a bottle of port or half a bottle of brandy, or it might be half a bottle of Kümmel . I not sure which because at that time I'm too pissed to notice !
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2013 at 18:39
Can you say, Hemochromatosis?Big smile
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2013 at 21:59

It is my long held experience that most medications only work when washed down with a tumbler of gin.
Perhaps I should ditch the pills and just drink the gin. Might that be sensible, do,you think ?
Hey, Marlin47, if you believe that drinking a huge amounts of alcohol on a daily basis is a good thing now, and your doc is cool with it, then who am I to argue. Smile
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2013 at 02:42
Originally posted by red clay

Can you say, Hemochromatosis?Big smile

I can't say it, but I know my dog suffers from it, I have to rub ointment on him twice a day !
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2013 at 03:03
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

Hey, Marlin47, if you believe that drinking a huge amounts of alcohol on a daily basis is a good thing now, and your doc is cool with it, then who am I to argue. Smile

My doc is Dutch. He is almost as handsome as me. He drives a Hispano Suiza. He has the most stunningly gorgeous wife. His mistress is as hot as a Mexican chili ( i know because he took her from me ! ).
He owns the best house in the village. He smokes prodigious amounts of marijuana and is never seen without a stonkingly strong cheroot in the corner of his mouth. 
His daily consumption of booze is formidable. 
He also runs marathons.   He is so cool about my life style that he will readily admit to using me as a
role model. He emulates me so accurately that it is uncanny. I can live with that. The only problem I have, is that I don't have a Hispano Suiza !
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2013 at 00:08
No one could say, Marlin47, that it's a dreary life you want. LOL The Alani Dragon, with a passion now, is enjoying his life too, though not exactly in the way you seem to. LOL 
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2013 at 18:10
My friend, do you live in a small village ?  It is essential that you do, if you wish to enjoy a rich, varied and colourful social ( not to say sexual life ) life !     My Old Man , God rest his soul , was never lost for a pithy comment.  Two I remember very well since they were about my chosen lifestyle. One was that I had champagne tastes and lemonade pockets; t'other was that it is better to be a a big frog in a small pond, rather than a small frog in a large pond. Although he never said it, he should also have mentioned that in the Kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is King...........especially if nowadays he has both champagne tastes AND champagne pockets !
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2013 at 18:45

My friend, do you live in a small village ?  It is essential that you do, if you wish to enjoy a rich, varied and colourful social life !

Quite often, as with me, there can be somewhat a difference between what a person may have, and what you might desperately want. Smile 
To be with the Alani Dragon now, one would locate me in a semi rural setting, but also medium sized city.

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 09-Jun-2013 at 18:46
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2013 at 04:33

Although he never said it, he should also have mentioned that in the Kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is King...........especially if nowadays he has both champagne tastes AND champagne pockets !
Ah yes, but when the blind are the sighted, then who wants to be the one eyed man?
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2013 at 07:26
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

Although he never said it, he should also have mentioned that in the Kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is King...........especially if nowadays he has both champagne tastes AND champagne pockets !
Ah yes, but when the blind are the sighted, then who wants to be the one eyed man?

Wow ! That comment has a profundity way beyond my humble grasp !   I only wish I could understand it.
 Post Reply Post Reply