Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How does the US under Obama view Cuba now ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How does the US under Obama view Cuba now ?
    Posted: 31-May-2013 at 11:47
I was in Cuba when Obama was elected. I remember it well because my cab driver stopped on the Havana ring road and pulled me out of the cab to join an impromptu party in the middle of the road, the drivers having heard the news on their radios !   They were very optimistic of improved relations with the USA now under a black President.

I had gone to Havana to put into effect a tried and tested antidote to a nervous breakdown.  My Old Man did it years ago when he cracked up. His shrink told him to bugger off somewhere that he loved and achieve a long held ambition. He went to Florence and got himself apprenticed to a shoe maker who made the most wonderful of womens high heeled shoes. A year later he returned with several pairs of the most gorgeous pairs of five inch killer heels for the women in our family.

I decided to do something similar when I felt reality slipping away from me. I flew to Havana and started work in a cigar factory, being desirous of learning how to roll the perfect cigar.

Starting work in the tobacco leaf rolling hall, the first thing I noticed that on a raised dais at the front sat a man with a microphone. He was reading out loud in Spanish excerpts from political newspapers from the Communist countries. He beat time by bouncing on the floor a baseball clutched in his right hand. Not wishing to be so doctrinated, the next day I took in my Sony MP3 player and headphones and a Debussy CD.   This drowned out his propaganda.  After a few minutes I was prodded frantically by my co workers on either side of my seat at the rolling table.  I looked up only to see the baseball flying through the air towards me.  It caught me full in the mouth, knocking out several of my front teeth. Luckily I had the perspicacity to pick them up from the dusty floor and drop them into the paper cup of Havana rum that we all had in front of us. I strode out and walked back to my hotel clutching the paper cup full of rum and most of my front teeth. The hotel manager was aghast. He made a few phone calls. Within minutes a sleek black Government limousine arrived. It was President Castro's personal car. Five minutes later I was sat in the chair of his private dentist, who fixed my teeth back in my head again !  Did they stay in place ?
No, but what the ferk, it's the story that counts !

TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2013 at 13:17
I guess that if you might suffer from a nervous breakdown now, then there might be many worse places to end up in, Marlin47.Smile

Btw, cracking story mate.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
yomud View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Inactive

Quote yomud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2013 at 14:01
cracking story . if i were u i ill go back to that factory and break that man's teeth than fly back  home

Edited by yomud - 31-May-2013 at 14:01
yomud are free people
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2013 at 17:32
What I omitted to say by dint of time and space, was that the Commissar, for that is what he was, clearly felt the hot breath of Castro's disapproval on the back of his neck, because later in the week when I clocked off at the factory he was waiting sat in his car outside the factory gates. Beckoning me over he pointed at several plastic bags on the back seat of his car. I opened one up ; it was filled with boxes each of fifty Romeo y Julieta robusto cigars. This was his way of apologising !  Not only that, but he asked for my hotel room number and enquired as to my being there at eight o/clock later that evening. Expecting more cigars I said I would be.  Come eight o/clock I was just downing my third Daiquiri in my room and there was a gentle knock on the door. Expecting the fat, grovelling Cuban that had knocked my teeth out to be bringing me more cigars, I found standing languidly in front of me the most stunningly attractive eighteen year old Cuban girl. With long black hair to her waist, a beautiful smooth olive skin and sparklingly white teeth, she had a figure as voluptuous as Venus de Milo......and she was mine ; his daughter sent as compensation for the loss of my teeth ! 
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2013 at 22:03
Originally posted by Marlin47

Come eight o/clock I was just downing my third Daiquiri in my room and there was a gentle knock on the door. Expecting the fat, grovelling Cuban that had knocked my teeth out to be bringing me more cigars, I found standing languidly in front of me the most stunningly attractive eighteen year old Cuban girl. With long black hair to her waist, a beautiful smooth olive skin and sparklingly white teeth, she had a figure as voluptuous as Venus de Milo......and she was mine ; his daughter sent as compensation for the loss of my teeth ! 
Would I be right in believing, and this is me kind of guessing to a point, that this was to your approval, Marlin47? And if so I would also like to know, for reference sake, if it would be classed as the norm, in regards to approval, in general?
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2013 at 01:41
Look at it this way, compadre. First of all, at the time of my working in Havana, there was held a month long symposium / gala of the International Federation of Male Ballet Dancers, Fruit Loops and Homosexualists ( I paraphrase their name because I have forgotten it ). Many of them stayed at my hotel and I happened to befriend about six of them ( they were all male ballet dancers from England ). I found them very amusing, especially Wayne Sleep. However, whilst the Anglos left me alone ( knowing, as they did, my sexual orientation.....which clashed with theirs, I hasten to add ! ), others in the group, especially the Brazilians, pursued me relentlessly. So much so that even I began to doubt my own sexual leanings !

And then comes along Rosita, one of the most glorious examples of pulchitrude that ever walked God's green Earth !  Although, I suspect that the original deal was that she was mine for one night only, neverthess she decided to allow me to court her until I flew back to England many months later. She was a peasant girl with only one good dress and one pair of stylish shoes when we met ; she was very much better accoutred when I left. I taught her an understanding of politics, classical music, fine literature and many, many other things. Most of all, I taught her the English language and how to pronounce it clearly and articulately.  What she taught me I'll leave to your imagination.  At the very least we both enjoyed a long and enrichingly enjoyable, sincerely genuine relationship. I told my wife about her when I got 
home ( she expected nothing less of me ). Some little while later Rosita came to England and worked as a Nanny for us for some months. She later got a job as a secretary at the Spanish Embassy in London, married a Bolivian diplomat and now lives happily in Geneva with a husband who loves her dearly and their two small boys. I defy anyone to find fault with any of that. My wife didn't.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2013 at 04:07
Indeed an interesting tale, Marlin47. Not sure that my leanings would have lead me into such an encounter, given similar circumstances. Was this Rosita intellectually stimulating by any chance?
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2013 at 10:43
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

Indeed an interesting tale, Marlin47. Not sure that my leanings would have lead me into such an encounter, given similar circumstances. Was this Rosita intellectually stimulating by any chance?

Intellectually stimulating ?   Not in the least, old bean, but she taught me Spanish, how to Tango and how to make a fabulous Daiquiri ; I'll happily settle for those !
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2013 at 11:14
Originally posted by Marlin47

Intellectually stimulating ?   Not in the least, old bean, but she taught me Spanish, how to Tango and how to make a fabulous Daiquiri ; I'll happily settle for those !
Then although those things you learnt might have been of some interest to me, I wouldn't have found this lady appealing in the way you did.
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2013 at 14:16
Each to their own, old boy, each to their own. Forgive me for asking, and no offence intended and all that, but would you have found my ballet dancing acquaintences of more interest ?  One has to ask !

Oh yes, I forgot. Rosita also taught me how to cook Cuban food. My Red Mullet steamed in a banana leaf
with a generous splash of white rum is to die for !.............one mustn't forget the grated coconut and paprika stuffing, of course ! 
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2013 at 15:02
My Cuban experiences are legion in number, but you might find this one amusing !

After Fidel's intervention, and by the bye, I later found out that it was his brother Raul, as Minister of Tourism, was the person the instigated fixing my teeth ; after Raul patronised me, the hotel staff could not do enough for me. I could have asked for anything, and I did !      The food in Cuba mainly being stringy pork and boot sole fish, I found myself craving for a nice juicy Pope's Eye steak.  This was not easily to be had. However, anxious to fulfil my craving the hotel manager arranged it for me. I was collected from Havana at seven PM by a liveried chaffeuse driving a beautiful classic Bentley Arnage. We drove way out into the hinterland, eventually coming to the most stylish country club. This was an establishment for important civil servants and senior army officers and their mistresses.  It was breathtakingly spectacular and served the finest French wines and delicious food. A young colonel and his amour invited me to join them at their table. Having spent some years in the British Army, I got on famously with Henrico and danced many times with his lady, Anna.  The steak I had was second to none and melted in my mouth.
I did, however, emulate most of the guests by getting horribly blotto ( I can never pass up a good Mouton Rothschild if I like the vintage ! ). At about two were were driven to a villa about twenty miles away ( buy this time we had been joined by a stunning Finnish blonde who worked at the Norwegian Embassy ).
At the villa much Napoleon brandy and high grade coke was consumed. Regrettably, I passed out !

At about four in the morning I awoke naked in bed. The scent of a woman lingered on my pillow, but I was alone.  I was violently, horribly and disgustingly sick and couldn't stand up. My heart was palpitating like a steam hammer. I felt BAD ! No one answered my shouts for help. I was shouting in English.
Luckily I found a phone on a desk in my room. I shouted for help. I felt I was going to die. Help was on its way, I was told.  I staggered back to bed and stared at the ceiling, which was spinning around and around. I closed my eyes to stop it spinning.  I then heard voices at the end of my bed. Looking down I saw three extremely beautiful girls. One was as black as your hat, but dressed in the crisply starched uniform of a nurse. One was a gorgeous thirty year old doctor, who I had lusted after when she plastered up two fingers I broke when falling out of a rickshaw dropping me off at my hotel some weeks earlier. And one was the Scanwegian goddess I had danced with earlier. She was draped in only a silk bed sheet. My bed lacked a silk bed sheet ! The perfume on my pillow was hers.

But, it is now 19.30 on Saturday evening. I've several large Scotches and am drifting away on an alcoholic haze. I've a fine Montecristo in my paw, and a dinner party beckons. You'll have to wait a tad longer for Part two of my story about a night in Old Havana !

Post Reply Post Reply