Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Colored Civilizations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
longbaby View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote longbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Colored Civilizations
    Posted: 17-May-2013 at 23:39
I remember a statement from a book long ago, but I don't remember the exact words:

"A civilization is colored.

The earliest in history is yellow, the colour of earth, so yellow represents the "agricultural civilization" of a continent. The best example is the Chinese civilization.

The second is blue, the colour of ocean, so blue represents the "oceanic industrial and commercial civilization". The best example of this category is the Modern Western Countries.

The third is green, the colour of plains, so green represents the "plain nomad civilization". The best example is Islamic countries.

Therefore, only China, Islam and Modern West can be counted as global civilizations and deserve the status of "First World",culturally-wise."

Do you agree to this statement?

Edited by longbaby - 17-May-2013 at 23:41
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2013 at 01:47
No.  A number of other nations have attained the same status prior to the West doing so, and other nations have attained First Nation status without having any ocean commerce whatsoever.  Switzerland is a good example.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2013 at 15:28
Originally posted by longbaby

I remember a statement from a book long ago, but I don't remember the exact words:

"A civilization is colored.

The earliest in history is yellow, the colour of earth, so yellow represents the "agricultural civilization" of a continent. The best example is the Chinese civilization.

The second is blue, the colour of ocean, so blue represents the "oceanic industrial and commercial civilization". The best example of this category is the Modern Western Countries.

The third is green, the colour of plains, so green represents the "plain nomad civilization". The best example is Islamic countries.

Therefore, only China, Islam and Modern West can be counted as global civilizations and deserve the status of "First World",culturally-wise."

Do you agree to this statement?

Thanks to share it,  but I think it has gaps.

*Why doesn't this statement call the West as Christians or Christianity?

*Secondly Ocean-Blue? Russia, Germany, Italy these are not oceanic countries. just narrow Atlantic coast countries or Europe are situable for this idea.

*Islam is not nomad civilization for me. They reached one of the top architecture point in own age.

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
longbaby View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote longbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2013 at 17:46
Originally posted by Ollios

]
Thanks to share it,  but I think it has gaps.
*Why doesn't this statement call the West as Christians or Christianity?
*Secondly Ocean-Blue? Russia, Germany, Italy these are not oceanic countries. just narrow Atlantic coast countries or Europe are situable for this idea.
*Islam is not nomad civilization for me. They reached one of the top architecture point in own age.

Well I attempt to answer your questions here;

*I guess the author thinks the West is characterized by advanced technology not the religion of christanity. And they spreaded their civilization through violence not in a religious way, generally speaking.

*I think there is someting in what you said, but the author takes the West as a whole. And the rise of Modern West is represented by the oceanic expansion and colonizaion. It is through this way that the West overwhelmed the East and Islam.

*You are right that Islam IS not a nomad civilization today. But originally Ialam WAS a nomad civilization.   Bedouins, the ancetors of Arabians today, rode horse to begin their civilization.
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2013 at 23:49

*I guess the author thinks the West is characterized by advanced technology not the religion of christanity. And they spreaded their civilization through violence not in a religious way, generally speaking. 

*I think there is someting in what you said, but the author takes the West as a whole. And the rise of Modern West is represented by the oceanic expansion and colonizaion. It is through this way that the West overwhelmed the East and Islam. 

That is inconsistent act. If you are looking in religious perspective, you shoud keep it for all or in same way, he makes generalization to proof own logic as oceanic case. Oceanic expansions were just made by 30%(?) of Europe (at least less than half). Just this part of Europe really was effected by oceanic expansion and colonizaion.

*You are right that Islam IS not a nomad civilization today. But originally Ialam WAS a nomad civilization. Bedouins, the ancetors of Arabians today, rode horse to begin their civilization.

I can't agree this. Islam is firstly developed by citized Arabs, not Bedouins and also Yemen, Umman and Hejaz region are also known city life. Author is taking West as whole, but in Islam case, he is taking just one part of Islam. Confused     

I could say also Islam is agricultural civilization. Iraq, Pakistan and Egypt are ancient well populated regions and dominant culture in there is not nomadic, river-agricultural. 

Edited by Ollios - 19-May-2013 at 00:00
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
longbaby View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote longbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2013 at 01:28
I think the author is talking about the globalization of cultures. I know the West contrasts with round-Mediterranean while Christanity contrasts with Islam. But from the pespective of spreading a culture, England and France were mainly spreading goods and technolongy; they took religion only as a minor item. Islam is different; they were concentrated on religion, they even spreaded Islam by trading.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2013 at 21:05
What about ancient Egypt? The kings and nobility were black Africans
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Auggie View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Auggie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2013 at 12:11
Originally posted by Nick1986

I seriously doubt that ancient Egyptians were black in the sense that we today define the term. Yes, they were, as are their descendants today, a dark-skinned people; but they weren't sub-Saharan, and therefore didn't have the negroid features indigenous to the more southern regions of Africa. Unfortunately, the portrayal of ancient Egyptians as being black is a theory -- an out-and-out assertion actually -- employed by Afrocentrists for the purposes of boosting self-esteem among their own people. I feel this is unnecessary, as blacks, given the opportunity, are every bit as capable of achieving the peaks of cultural greatness as are any other race of people.   

Edited by Auggie - 24-Jun-2013 at 12:12
Where it is a duty to worship the sun it is sure to be a crime to examine the laws of heat.
- Voltaire
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2013 at 12:49
Originally posted by Auggie

Originally posted by Nick1986

I seriously doubt that ancient Egyptians were black in the sense that we today define the term. Yes, they were, as are their descendants today, a dark-skinned people; but they weren't sub-Saharan, and therefore didn't have the negroid features indigenous to the more southern regions of Africa. Unfortunately, the portrayal of ancient Egyptians as being black is a theory -- an out-and-out assertion actually -- employed by Afrocentrists for the purposes of boosting self-esteem among their own people. I feel this is unnecessary, as blacks, given the opportunity, are every bit as capable of achieving the peaks of cultural greatness as are any other race of people.   

For at least about two hundred years, I believe, the Nubians ruled Egypt, so technially the Egyptian nobility were generally black. 
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Auggie View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Auggie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2013 at 13:27
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

For at least about two hundred years, I believe, the Nubians ruled Egypt, so technially the Egyptian nobility were generally black. 
 More accurately,  Nubian rule in Egypt covered a period of less than 100 years, and that was in the southern part of Egypt. And given the long, long period of time Egypt was at the "very top", I'd say that doesn't amount to much  -- especially when one asserts in such a general way that the Egyptian kings and nobility were black. It gives the impression that throughout most, if not all, of Egypt's glorious past, blacks were the brains and stimulus behind its greatness. Ever view ancient Egyptian busts, statues and drawings? The facial features on the vast majority of these artistic works resemble those of the people who inhabit the region today, not those of sub-Saharan Africa.

Edited by Auggie - 24-Jun-2013 at 13:29
Where it is a duty to worship the sun it is sure to be a crime to examine the laws of heat.
- Voltaire
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2013 at 15:11

Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

More accurately,  Nubian rule in Egypt covered a period of less than 100 years, and that was in the southern part of Egypt. And given the long, long period of time Egypt was at the "very top", I'd say that doesn't amount to much  -- especially when one asserts in such a general way that the Egyptian kings and nobility were black. It gives the impression that throughout most, if not all, of Egypt's glorious past, blacks were the brains and stimulus behind its greatness. Ever view ancient Egyptian busts, statues and drawings? The facial features on the vast majority of these artistic works resemble those of the people who inhabit the region today, not those of sub-Saharan Africa.
Many apologies, indeed, a little short of one hundred years. Didn't say anything about the Egyptian nobility being black in general. That is unless we consider the Nubian period of rule, then I will stick out my head and say that the nobility at that time were almost certainly black. :)
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Auggie View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Auggie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2013 at 10:58
How about we leave it at this: throughout most of Egypt's millenias-long history, the racial/ethnic makeup of its citizens and nobility was as it is today; and for a brief period of time, Nubians, they being of a darker complexion and with features more typical of sub-Saharan black Africans, were at the helm. Sound good?
- Voltaire
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2013 at 11:44

How about we leave it at this: throughout most of Egypt's millenias-long history, the racial/ethnic makeup of its citizens and nobility was as it is today; and for a brief period of time, Nubians, they being of a darker complexion and with features more typical of sub-Saharan black Africans, were at the helm. Sound good?
I would say that is reasonably accurate, being in line with the knowledge we have.

Btw that time wasn't merely spent only in one small section of the country. That would have occurred as the Assyrians took more control of the region.
 Post Reply Post Reply