Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is the meaning of the word turk

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
yomud View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Avatar
Inactive

Joined: 04-Oct-2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 399
  Quote yomud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the meaning of the word turk
    Posted: 18-Apr-2013 at 18:09
recently i was in searching of origin of my people in internet due to the actions AM member well i didn't find anything basically from very old time of my people so i search harder this time i get confused i have one clean question "What is the meaning of the word turk"
first time i search i didn't get anything second  time i see the turk  every where  :O plz see my links

Grand Turk Island

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Turk_Island
this is the american island far from turkish zone

Turku

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turku

this is a city in finland far from turkish home !

Maumturks

mountain range of ireland i dont think any turks live there 

Turka River in ukraine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turka_River

Turka, Ukraine

is a city in ukraine this one even say "Origin of name in no way is linked to the turks"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turka,_Ukraine

Turkansaari

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkansaari

island in finland  sari in turkmen means blonde or yellow

Turkana people

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkana_people

people from africa !!!!!:O i dont think any turk has Turkified these people 

Lake Turkana

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkana_Lake

lake of turkana people in africa

and at last this one is more strange

Tuktoyaktuk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuktoyaktuk

in canada native people of america we know chines dot have R in their language i can guess these native people didnt have R too so tuktoyatuk can be turk-toya-turk

after huns attack EU and meet with byzantines they call them self turk

The Sumerian language is the earliest known written language and it's very close to turkish language i can see some turkmen words are common with german english ireish and some other EU people

in some of the cyrus post in this site he made theory which turk live in iran b4 iranian and after iranian come to Iran plateau  they force those turks to leave iran and move north east this theory answer the turkish connection with old people of iran and sumerian but it didn't answer how we see the word turk in all around the world from ireland to africa from finland to canada

im must say this is a another faild theory about turks

i have my own theory which answer to all this but still seems to be little crazy :D LOL

so im asking u good guys What is the meaning of the word turk


yomud are free people
Back to Top
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Avatar

Joined: 22-Feb-2011
Location: Diyar-ı Rum
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1131
  Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2013 at 02:08
Originally posted by yomud

recently i was in searching of origin of my people in internet due to the actions AM member well i didn't find anything basically from very old time of my people so i search harder this time i get confused i have one clean question "What is the meaning of the word turk"
first time i search i didn't get anything second  time i see the turk  every where  :O plz see my links
*Why you have looked those unconnected names from Africa, North Europe? The first time word Turk is used by I. Göktürk Empire in Asia and II. Göktürk Empire is known with the first turkish writings. Am I wrong? 

*Don't we know the meaning of word "Turk"? Helmet or Strong


The Sumerian language is the earliest known written language and it's very close to turkish language i can  Turksee some turkmen words are common with german english ireish and some other EU people 

*I don't think that this theory has many supporters, especially in West. 

in some of the cyrus post in this site he made theory which turk live in iran b4 iranian and after iranian come to Iran plateau  they force those turks to leave iran and move north east this theory answer the turkish connection with old people of iran and sumerian but it didn't answer how we see the word turk in all around the world from ireland to africa from finland to canada
*ReallyShocked. It is interesting. I have missed the " theory which turk live in iran b4 iranian


Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Back to Top
TITAN_ View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Avatar

Joined: 21-Jun-2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 480
  Quote TITAN_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2013 at 04:00
Turkey cannot be eaten... turkey tastes good though!

Seriously, the first post doesn't make any sense. There is a region in China called Yunan. It's not related to Yunanistan (=Greece) though. Random coincidences can't be taken seriously. 
αἰὲν ἀριστεύειν
Een aristevin
“Ever to Excel“
From Homer's Iliad (8th century BC).
Motto of the University of St Andrews (founded 1410), the Edinburgh Academy (founded 1824) and others.
Back to Top
yomud View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Avatar
Inactive

Joined: 04-Oct-2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 399
  Quote yomud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2013 at 06:44
here is the cyrus post
"I have not read any serious research regarding Turkic origin but I myself think it is possible that some Turkic tribes lived in the central and eastern Iran before the Iranian migrations from the east and the west of the Caspian sea, in fact Iranian-speaking people forced them to move eastward.
 
It is really difficult to find some facts among numerous pan-Turkist webpages which claim almost all known ancient peoples were related to the Turkic peoples, but we can't deny all similarities between ancient Sumerian, Elamite and other cultures in the Middle East and Turkic culture."

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=33388&KW=&PID=691301#691301

im agree with cyrus about "we can't deny all similarities between ancient Sumerian, Elamite and other cultures in the Middle East and Turkic culture"  but i cant accept this part "Iranian-speaking people forced them to move eastward" but still i respect his theory

every where when u see the word turk u guys think we are talking about turk people or something related to turk people ( i mean the people today known as turk ) i'm reasonable man a nation cannot exist in every where and in different times so the answer is in the meaing of the word "turk"

my dear Ollios  i know the Göktürk Empire is known with the first turkish writings but what about the time b4 gokturks ?? can u tell me from where the turks come from ??? they exist in 551–552 this is not old enough i need something in bc time . u see my post as "unconnected names" what if gokturks  is just another unconnected name ??

my theory is this there is no nation name turk exist the word "turk"can not be just nation it's something more


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turku in this page they say the word turk/turku  and turun/turan means market place what if turk means just market place or merchant ??

after huns attack europe and meet with byzantines they call them self turk  and their new lands as turkiye  maybe they just want to say we are merchant men (turk) and they call hungryas turkiye so turkiy means market place and something same can happen to all those people and placese which i have mention  this answer to all of this

 easy as abc LOLHugLOL


Edited by yomud - 19-Apr-2013 at 06:48
yomud are free people
Back to Top
yomud View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Avatar
Inactive

Joined: 04-Oct-2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 399
  Quote yomud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2013 at 07:06
in this new theory we have very great merchant guild and they have merchant language so all the nations can understand each other same like today why we all speaking english .  after this guild will disband but their language and effects remines  so this is why we see Sumerian are close to turkish  turkana lake can be old  great market place for african people same as turkansaari island and turku Maumturks mountain range is market place for ireland people same as rest .........


later some of these merchant people(turk) will united as one and will known  as gokturks (sky merchant ) for sure like huns they had names but they keep telling to every one we are turk(merchant ) or turkmen (merchant  men ) and u know the rest :D


yomud are free people
Back to Top
yomud View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Avatar
Inactive

Joined: 04-Oct-2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 399
  Quote yomud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2013 at 07:09
Originally posted by yomud

in this new theory we have very great merchant guild and they have merchant language so all the nations can understand each other same like today why we all speaking english?? .  after some time the guild will disband but their language and effects remines  this is why we see Sumerian are close to turkish  turkana lake can be old  great market place for african people same as turkansaari island and turku Maumturks mountain range is market place for ireland people same as rest .........


later some of these merchant people(turk) will united as one and will known  as gokturks (sky merchant ) for sure like huns they had names but they keep telling to every one we are turk(merchant ) or turkmen (merchant  men ) and u know the rest :D


yomud are free people
Back to Top
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Avatar

Joined: 22-Feb-2011
Location: Diyar-ı Rum
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1131
  Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2013 at 14:16
Originally posted by yomud

here is the cyrus post
"I have not read any serious research regarding Turkic origin but I myself think it is possible that some Turkic tribes lived in the central and eastern Iran before the Iranian migrations from the east and the west of the Caspian sea, in fact Iranian-speaking people forced them to move eastward.
 
It is really difficult to find some facts among numerous pan-Turkist webpages which claim almost all known ancient peoples were related to the Turkic peoples, but we can't deny all similarities between ancient Sumerian, Elamite and other cultures in the Middle East and Turkic culture."

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=33388&KW=&PID=691301#691301

Thanks to remind it again. I have forgotten that conversation. But this is his theory and he has already expected that he didn't do much research.

Originally posted by yomud


im agree with cyrus about "we can't deny all similarities between ancient Sumerian, Elamite and other cultures in the Middle East and Turkic culture"  but i cant accept this part "Iranian-speaking people forced them to move eastward" but still i respect his theory

every where when u see the word turk u guys think we are talking about turk people or something related to turk people ( i mean the people today known as turk ) i'm reasonable man a nation cannot exist in every where and in different times so the answer is in the meaing of the word "turk"

Yes, you are right about some similarities for example Sumerian-Elamite languages in Iraq, later Hurrian language in Syria, Urartu language in East Anatolia and Hatti language(not Hittite) in Central Anatolia are  agglutinative languages as Turkish.

Originally posted by yomud


my dear Ollios  i know the Göktürk Empire is known with the first turkish writings but what about the time b4 gokturks ?? can u tell me from where the turks come from ??? they exist in 551–552 this is not old enough i need something in bc time . u see my post as "unconnected names" what if gokturks  is just another unconnected name ??

my theory is this there is no nation name turk exist the word "turk"can not be just nation it's something more

Meaning of Turk according to my brothers school book (he is in 9th class)
-Helmet in Chinese sources
-Power-Strong in Uyghur sources 
-Prime(age-period) for Mahmud al-Kashgar
-Custom ("töre-türe" in Modern Turkish) for Ziya Gökalp

Homeland



all we come from Africa, but of course there are others theories tooi but these are just epic

Lemura theory and human migration ways


Mu theory
According to this, Uyghur are colony of people from Mu which is older then Atlantis


Ancient Great Uyghur Empire

Originally posted by yomud

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turku in this page they say the word turk/turku  and turun/turan means market place what if turk means just market place or merchant ??

after huns attack europe and meet with byzantines they call them self turk  and their new lands as turkiye  maybe they just want to say we are merchant men (turk) and they call hungryas turkiye so turkiy means market place and something same can happen to all those people and placese which i have mention  this answer to all of this

easy as abc LOLHugLOL

this is also a theory Big smile
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Back to Top
Snafu View Drop Down
Knight
Knight


Joined: 14-Aug-2004
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 72
  Quote Snafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2013 at 12:57
I've read that "Turk" means helmet and was the name of a sacred mountain that resembled a helmet in their original homeland. A lot of steppe tribes have taken their names from geographical features, so it's possible the first Turks named themselves after this sacred mountain.


Edited by Snafu - 21-Apr-2013 at 13:00
Back to Top
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Avatar
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Joined: 22-Mar-2011
Location: England
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 7940
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2013 at 21:31
Turk was also a general European name for a Muslim (sometimes interchangeable with Moor)
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Back to Top
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Avatar
King of Kings

Joined: 07-Aug-2004
Location: Iran
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 6217
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2013 at 02:13

I have talked about my theory about the origin of the word "Turk" in this thread: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27824&PN=1

By considering a Nostratic origin, I believe Turk means "Thunder" and relates to Germanic Thor, the eldest son of Freya & Odin and Iranian Tur, the eldest son of Freydun.
 
About the Iranian words we know the words have been simplified, the founder of Iran was Airiiana-vaeja, simplified to Iraj, then from the root Ira +  "-ik/-ic" suffix, the word Irak/Arak/Iraq was fromed.
 
The founder of Turan was Turaj, in the Middle Persian this word was changed to Tuj, from this word +  "-ik/-ic" suffix, the word Tajik was formed, of course "Tuj/Taj" (Tujue in Chinese) also means "crown, helmet" in Persian, but I think these two don't relate to each other.
Back to Top
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Avatar
Spam Fighter

Joined: 09-May-2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 6044
  Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2013 at 04:59
Hopefully this adds something to the mix.

 However, it is generally accepted that the term "Türk" is ultimately derived from the Old-Turkic migration-term[21] "Türük" or "Törük",[22] which means "created", "born",[23] or "strong".[24]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkic_peoples#Name_etymology
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Back to Top
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Avatar

Joined: 22-Feb-2011
Location: Diyar-ı Rum
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1131
  Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2013 at 08:54
@Yomud & @Cyrus


Is he father of Turks in Persian Mtyhs or Turkic people have taken his clans' lands and his name?
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Back to Top
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Avatar
Master of Meanings

Joined: 06-Nov-2010
Location: /
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 13776
  Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2013 at 09:23
In Serbo&Croatian archaic Tur is butlock Olios or noisy brat!Turk=TuRaK=Noisy brat is aligned&equaled with Turak!TuRCi=Turks,pural=Noisy brat is counted by Turks!
Turkey=turkey=TuRKi=Noisy brat is magnified by Turkey!Big smileWith feathers on back it is really magnified brat!
TuRa is head of coin,you say also Tura&Yaziya=Head&Back side of coin!Tura is also Tour!
http://www.eudict.com/index.php?lang=croeng&word=tura
http://www.eudict.com/index.php?lang=croeng&word=Turci
http://www.eudict.com/index.php?lang=croeng&word=Tur%C4%8Din
TuRCHiN=Noisy brat is realized by maternal Turk!




Edited by medenaywe - 22-Apr-2013 at 09:30
Back to Top
yomud View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Avatar
Inactive

Joined: 04-Oct-2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 399
  Quote yomud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2013 at 11:01
Originally posted by Ollios

@Yomud & @Cyrus


Is he father of Turks in Persian Mtyhs or Turkic people have taken his clans' lands and his name?
i dont know much about tur but in shahnameh i mostly know about afrasiab he is known as king of turks and his capital was gorgan ??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorgan ???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurgan ???

shanameh said iranian and turanian are brothers  have same ancestor but iranian become urban earlier usually rustam iranian legendary hero fight with afrasiab after long war they Decide to make pace and draw the borders so they agree that iranian shot an arrow and where ever the arrow come down there will be the border between iran and turan  arash the archer another iranian legendary  chosen by king to take a shot but he not only use all his strangth but also put his soul on the arrow so arrow will go far far far away arash die as soon as his soul fly by arrow and arrow gone as far as so many land and citys come under iranian the events known as The feast of Tiregan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tireg%C4%81n

so many time shahname talks about turks in one of the Poetry says don't underestimate the tazi turk in fight he ill show the dragon wrath  but these stories are so differents with are turkic
stories

Edited by yomud - 22-Apr-2013 at 14:12
yomud are free people
Back to Top
yomud View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Avatar
Inactive

Joined: 04-Oct-2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 399
  Quote yomud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2013 at 11:07
in the turkic legends it's said there was a child who wounded in battle he fleeing from enemies after the while those enemies lost the boy and the boy fall to unconsciousness a she wolf find  the boy and heal his wouneds and feed him after some years that boy mate with she wolf and the nation of half wolf half human of  turks born and later that nations made wolf banner this legends dont have any relaions with shahname turks


Edited by yomud - 22-Apr-2013 at 14:32
yomud are free people
Back to Top
yomud View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Avatar
Inactive

Joined: 04-Oct-2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 399
  Quote yomud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2013 at 11:08
Originally posted by Snafu

I've read that "Turk" means helmet and was the name of a sacred mountain that resembled a helmet in their original homeland. A lot of steppe tribes have taken their names from geographical features, so it's possible the first Turks named themselves after this sacred mountain.
and what is the name of that mountain altay is the mountain where the turks born on it and it dont mean strong or helmet
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altai_Mountains   
In Turkic and Mongolic languages, the name, Altai, means the "Golden Mountain"; al meaning red/gold and tai/tag, mountain. (Chinese: 金山; literally "Gold Mountain" in Chinese texts). The proposed Altaic language family takes its name from this mountain range. golden and mountain in turkmen is altin and dagh

it even dosent mean golden mountain for me it maybe means 6 moon ( alt e ay ) or golden     moon(altin ay) or "like al"(al' tay ) in this case we should know whatis the meaning of al tha and it very similar to alborz in iran and alp in europe still we are in the first steps :D and making more questions than awnser to ones :D

Edited by yomud - 22-Apr-2013 at 19:48
yomud are free people
Back to Top
benzin View Drop Down
Knight
Knight


Joined: 08-Jun-2011
Location: Hungary
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 89
  Quote benzin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2013 at 04:56
The word turk comes from the saka language, the original form of the name was turukka, and its a typical kind of tall helmet/hat
Göktürk's Asseina royal dinasty was coming from this tribe most possibly.

The name Turk was also the name of early Hungarians. The first king of Hungary was called king of Turkia. Its written on the holy crown. Geobitzas pistos krales Turkias.
The name of this royal dinasty was called Turul dinasty.
Back to Top
yomud View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Avatar
Inactive

Joined: 04-Oct-2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 399
  Quote yomud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2013 at 14:27
Turul are very similar with

Tughril of seljuck

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seljuq_Empire#cite_note-28  

tughrol son of michael/mikhail  and greand son of seljuk


let's combine the facts and legends  we know there was 2 type of huns 1 who go to Europe and other one move to iran and defeat the sassanids make it  it's own vessel these huns just disappeared in time  shahname is written in time of sultan mahmud of ghaznavi and it's stories happen almost in the time of sassanid (im not sure) it said arash shot an arrow to long distance so turanian have to leave iran to beyand the arrow's drop   maybe sassanid king convince the huns to leave iran and go back to the Steppe later they return to iran as ghaznavid and seljuks .  toghrol's father's name was mikhail maybe he was jew or christians 

"The Hephthalites could also have been ancestors of the Abdal tribe which has assimilated into the Turkmens and Kazakhs.[2] In India, the Rajputs formed as a result of merging of the Hephthalites and the Gurjars with population from northwestern India"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hephthalites




huns emblem





seljuk emblem



Edited by yomud - 26-Apr-2013 at 15:24
yomud are free people
Back to Top
yomud View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Avatar
Inactive

Joined: 04-Oct-2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 399
  Quote yomud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2013 at 19:00
ok lets  put all theory  in

theory 1 : turk is helmet as u guys says
theory 2 : turk  actually is tark which means leaving and immigration or something in this case turkmen actually is tark iman ( faith leavers )
theory 3 :  turk means strong

ok if we are  looking for origine ok turk as nation we still have several theory

theory 1 : turk born from she wolf and came from altay
theory 2 : turk live in middle east long time ago for this we can see similarity between sumerian and turks
theory 3 : turk are turanian and we live in turan this is shahname version
theory 4 : i take this one from central asian people the turks are people who descended from Noah

yomud are free people
Back to Top
mojobadshah View Drop Down
Consul
Consul


Joined: 20-Apr-2007
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 382
  Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2013 at 12:16
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

I have talked about my theory about the origin of the word "Turk" in this thread: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27824&PN=1

By considering a Nostratic origin, I believe Turk means "Thunder" and relates to Germanic Thor, the eldest son of Freya & Odin and Iranian Tur, the eldest son of Freydun.
 
About the Iranian words we know the words have been simplified, the founder of Iran was Airiiana-vaeja, simplified to Iraj, then from the root Ira +  "-ik/-ic" suffix, the word Irak/Arak/Iraq was fromed.
 
The founder of Turan was Turaj, in the Middle Persian this word was changed to Tuj, from this word +  "-ik/-ic" suffix, the word Tajik was formed, of course "Tuj/Taj" (Tujue in Chinese) also means "crown, helmet" in Persian, but I think these two don't relate to each other.

I'd have to agree with Cyrus here that the most likely root of the word Turk is derived from the Avestan Turiya (Per. Tur) one of the three sons of Yima/Jamsheed and the patriarch of the Turanians (prob. rel. to Tehran). But could Turiya also be akin to Troy?
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a [Free Express Edition]
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz

This page was generated in 0.141 seconds.