Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Russian Far East: Sources?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ConradWeiser View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ConradWeiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Russian Far East: Sources?
    Posted: 15-Apr-2013 at 18:25
I am in need of some aid.

So recently I realized that I know little to nothing of this region's history and culture, and I'd like to know more. Right now, I'm especially interested in prehistoric and historic studies and narratives of the region, along with cultural studies.

To define the area I'm talking about, I suppose Wikipedia's demarcation of the Russian Far East is good enough, although to get really specific I'd like to learn about the cultures surrounding the sea of Okhotsk, and to some extent the northernmost part of the Sea of Japan and the western Bering Sea as well. By extension, I'm also fairly interested in the northern-most Japanese islands, such as Hokkaido, as well as the parts of this region that lie within China, namely Manchuria.

As for subject matter, I'm willing to accept anything, but I'm especially interested in the cultural exchanges in this part of the world. What are the indigenous cultures like? Do China and Japan have records of historic contact with these people? What kind of cultural exchanges occurred between the indigenous peoples and the Russians who conquered and settled the region in early modern times? What kind of pre-modern and early-modern trade filtered through this region?

I'll try and keep updating this thread to share with you any materials I may find regarding the history of this area of the world. And I hope you'll share anything you think might be helpful to me. Thanks!
Another year! Another deadly blow!
Another mighty empire overthrown!
And we are left, or shall be left, alone.
-William Wordsworth
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2013 at 19:17
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Rxl2NFAEAHoJ:www.iser.uaa.alaska.edu/iser/people/knapp/Knapp_RFE_intro_1_slide_per_page.pdf+history+of+russian+far+east+region&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

''Russia's Far East'': Judith Thornton
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2013 at 21:32
The people living there are probably Mongoloid in appearance, given the region's proximity to Mongolia, China and the Eskimos in Alaska
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2013 at 07:19
Originally posted by Nick1986

The people living there are probably Mongoloid in appearance, given the region's proximity to Mongolia, China and the Eskimos in Alaska

I won't be sure as you. How many USA citizens looks like a Native American? Far east was heavily colonized by Russians

Russians in Russia

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
baydlag View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote baydlag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2013 at 02:49
Native people of northern coast of sea of Okhotsk are mostly Lamut and Evenks. They are closely related to Manchu.
Snafu View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Snafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2013 at 18:51
You can research Tungus people in general, since that's pretty much their traditional domain.
Hukumari View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Hukumari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2013 at 14:26
Originally posted by baydlag

Native people of northern coast of sea of Okhotsk are mostly Lamut and Evenks. They are closely related to Manchu.

Closely related but how (genetically)? Your Evenk is slightly different than Ewenki (Evenk) in China
What do you say, if I comment with autosomal STR (12 loci/85 tribes) as follows:
- Evenk is genetically closest to Seoul/Korea and Jilin (Han),
- next after one more step is Zhejiang?

Maybe I am highly interested because my roots before Tofalar and Altai are in Yakut, Even and Yukaghir.

Edited by Hukumari - 05-Jun-2013 at 14:42
baydlag View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote baydlag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2013 at 22:41
Northern Evenks are called Tunguses and living eastern Siberia. Southern ones living between lake Baikal and great and lesser Khingan Mountains. Evenks in China are called Solon and Khamnigans. Solons were warlike people in Manchu Qing empire. So spreaded many places in all over China.
For example some Solons still in Ili valley in Xingjiang. I think there is no wonder to find Evenkish element in Chinese people in Jilin.
Hukumari View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Hukumari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2013 at 10:17

Northern Evenks are called Tunguses and living eastern Siberia. Southern ones living between lake Baikal and great and lesser Khingan Mountains. Evenks in China are called Solon and Khamnigans. Solons were warlike people in Manchu Qing empire. So spreaded many places in all over China.
For example some Solons still in Ili valley in Xingjiang. I think there is no wonder to find Evenkish element in Chinese people in Jilin.

Thanks a lot. It seems that you know more than me about  the reality. Congratulations to you my friend!
I was surprised to see Kahminigan by autosomal STR in Ecuador and Mexico.
I am not writing bullshit. With my another computer I have more info.
Saludo
Seppo
Hukumari View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Hukumari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2013 at 11:56
 I as100 % pure Finn (Finnish)  from eastern tribes like Carelia and Savo, I am not surprised about my autosomal DNA :
My real results are:

8 LOCI = D3S1358, vWA, FGA, D8S1179, D21S11, D18S51, D5S818, D7S820:

34.3 % - Tofalar

33.5 % - Altai

32.6 % - Kichwa (Ecuador)

31.01 % - Puebla (Meksiko)

30.7 % - Puna (Luoteis-Argentiina)

29.97 % - Salta (Luoteis-Argentiina)

29.44 % - La Paz (Aymara), Bolivian pääkaupunki

28.9 % - Lima, Peru

27.61 % - Tuva

Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2013 at 12:24
Originally posted by Hukumari

I as100 % pure Finn (Finnish)  from eastern tribes like Carelia and Savo, I am not surprised about my autosomal DNA :
My real results are:

8 LOCI = D3S1358, vWA, FGA, D8S1179, D21S11, D18S51, D5S818, D7S820:

34.3 % - Tofalar

33.5 % - Altai

32.6 % - Kichwa (Ecuador)

31.01 % - Puebla (Meksiko)

30.7 % - Puna (Luoteis-Argentiina)

29.97 % - Salta (Luoteis-Argentiina)

29.44 % - La Paz (Aymara), Bolivian pääkaupunki

28.9 % - Lima, Peru

27.61 % - Tuva

What is autosomal DNA and why does yours apparently have amerindian sources?  
Hukumari View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Hukumari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2013 at 16:43
Autosomal STR! With STR you can penetrate deeper in the history than with autosomal SNP.
What  is....?
Please use Google and investigate the history and yDNA & autosomal STR of Tofalar.
Even yDNA N1c1 founder has strongly Tofalar (Derenko).
baydlag View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote baydlag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2013 at 18:51
Some reindeer herder people in northern Mongolia they calling themselves and their language Uugar. They separated by Tuvans by just border. May any finnish or samoed person can understand them.
Hukumari View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Hukumari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2013 at 00:27

Some reindeer herder people in northern Mongolia they calling themselves and their language Uugar. They separated by Tuvans by just border. May any finnish or samoed person can understand them.

Maybe they are part of ancient Jukaghir that later escaped to northeast to live with "ancient and new" Yakut. We have many common words (cognates) but we do not understand them any more after so many years. Thanks to Miroslava Derenko we know our genetic history from Sayan Mountains and Baikal area when Y-DNA N1c1 was born. But there was life before with Jukaghir (Uugar?), Yakut and Even. during N1c....even until Africa ("out of Africa").
Hukumari View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Hukumari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2013 at 00:33
Originally posted by ConradWeiser

I am in need of some aid.

By extension, I'm also fairly interested in the northern-most Japanese islands, such as Hokkaido...

They told before that Ainus of Hokkaido linguistically and genetically are isolate. Not any more now.
benzin View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote benzin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2013 at 14:25

Ugor languages are hungarian, mansi and chanti, but Id be very surprised if anyone speak a finno-ugrian language in northern mongolia :)
Hukumari View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Hukumari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2013 at 17:56
Originally posted by benzin

Ugor languages are hungarian, mansi and chanti, but Id be very surprised if anyone speak a finno-ugrian language in northern mongolia :)

I agree, nothing more found except the following:
"Yugra is also considered to be the place of origin of the Hungarians (in Hungarian magyar őshaza). It is thought that the name Hungary is a variety of the name Yugra (The Hungarians also were known in several languages under the name of Ugri, and are still known under this name in Ukrainian). Hungary is also said to derive from On-Ogur, meaning Ten Tribes or  Ten Arrows. The Hungarian language is also the closest linguistic relative of Khanty and Mansi. It is considered that Hungarians moved from Yugra to the west, first settling on the western side of the Urals, in the region known as Magna Hungaria."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yugra

The answer can be found in the cemetery of  Egyin Gol,  if time to investigate all the graves.  Many of those families can be found among Finno-Ugric people.

baydlag View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote baydlag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2013 at 20:36
Reindeer herders in Mongolia are speaks exactly different language. But not sure is it Ugor or Turkish. They calling their language Uugar. In old nenets storytheir ancestors came from upper Yenisei.
 Post Reply Post Reply