Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

History of your national anthem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: History of your national anthem
    Posted: 26-Aug-2004 at 23:05

Home

History Of The National Mexican Anthem

Some national anthems have been created because actions of national unity or war; others have been composed in order to stimulate love and loyalty for the motherland. During the XIXth century it took more than 30 years of public biddings, tests before the Mexican National Anthem became a reality.

In 1821, the first composition of the National Anthem was undertaken by Jos Torrescano, although it was never accepted institutionally or by the Mexican civil society.

After 18 years, the Academy of San Juan de Letran invited people to compose for the wording of a national anthem; 30 versions were received and two selected (one by American Andrew David Bradburn and another by the poet Flix Mara Escalante). Bradburn's work was put to music by the Austrian Henry Hertz, but the anthem was not well received; another failed attempt was made by the poet of Cuban origin, Juan MIguel Lozada and the European composer Carlos Boscha.

Finally in 1853, Minister Miguel Lerdo de Tejada, on behalf of Antonio Lpez de Santa Anna's regime, convened a literary-musical contest " to create a really patriotically song that, adopted by the Supreme Government, be named the National Anthem", as the invitation of 12 November 1853 proclaimed.

The qualifying jury, formed by writers Jos Bernardo Couto, Manuel Carpio and Jos Joaqun Pesado, declared, after studying all literary compositions, that considered most worthy was one entitled "Let us fly to combat, to revenge and that one who shies away, submerges in the dust his coward head front".

The author of the accepted wording was the poet from San Luis Potos, maestro Francisco Gonzlez Bocanegra. The winning melody was composed by Juan Bottesini, although unaccepted by a demanding on aesthetics people. Therefore there was another public competition for a composition to put music to Gonzlez Bocanegra's wording.

Fifteen musical compositions entered in the competition. One with the epigraph "God and Liberty" was chosen; the initials "J.N." were found inside the envelope containing the composition. An announcement was published asking the author to identify himself. On 12 August 1854, the MInistry of Foment, Colonization, Industry and Trade announced that the author of the beautiful music was Don Jaime Nun, He was born in Gerona, Catalonia, and left Mexico shortly after the success of his National Anthem entry and settled down in Buffalo, in the United States. In 1901, Nun visited Mexico, was given a national reception, and received a chaplet of gold, a silver medal, and a purse of money. In October 1942, his mortal remains were taken back to Mexico City where they were laid to rest in great state in the Hall of Heroes which houses also the body of Bocanegra.

The composition was adopted as the National Anthem and interpreted for the first time on the night of 15 September 1854 at Santa Anna Theatre, which soon afterwards changed its name to the National Theatre. This first interpretation was made by an Italian opera company which visited Mexico and was directed by maestro Juan Bottesini. The Anthem was first interpreted by the tenor Lorenzo Salvi and the magnificent soprano Claudia Florenti.

Heres the traduction of the short version:

CORUS
Mexicans, at the cry of battle
lend your swords and bridle,
and let the earth tremble at its center
upon the roar of the cannon

Your forehead shall be girded, oh fatherland!, with olive garlands
By the divine archangel of peace,
For in heaven your eternal destiny
Has been written by the hand of God.

But shoul a foreign enemy
Profane your land with his sole,
Think, beloved fatherland!, that heaven
gave you a soldier in each son.

War, war without truce against who would attempt
To blemish the honor of the fatherland!
War,war! The patriotic banners
Saturate in waves of blood.

War,war! On the mount, in the valley
The terrifying cannon thunder
And the echoes nobly resound
To the cries of Union!; Liberty!

Fatherland, Before your children become unarmed
Beneath the yoke their necks in sway.
May your countryside be watered with blood
Over blood your foot stamps.

And may your temples, palaces and towers
Crumble in horrid crash,
And their ruins exist saying:
The fatherland was made of one thousand heroes; here.

Fatherland! Fatherland! your children swear
To exhale their breath in your cause
If the bugle in its belligerent tone
Should call upon them to struggle with bravery.

For you some olive garlands!
For them a memory of glory!
For you a laurel of victory!
For them a tomb of honor!

fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2004 at 01:05
Singapore's national anthem was penned by Zubair Said in 1965 to celebrate our independance.

There is nothing significant about its creation.
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2004 at 18:52

Korean:

Originally, Korean anthem was a collection of Korean identity put into one.  However, it used western rhythem to sing it.  Until An Te Ok, a composer and immigrant in Germany decided to make a korean rhythm.  So he did it.

Grrr..
Gallipoli View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Gallipoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2004 at 07:34

Korkma Sonmez bu safaklarda yuzen al sancak....

The Turkish National Anthem

The "Istiklal Marsi" (The Independence March) was officially adopted as Turkey's National Anthem on March 12, 1921. 724 poems were submitted to a competition organized to find and select the most suitable original composition for this March, and a poem written by the poet Mehmet Akif Ersoy was adopted unanimously by the Turkish Grand National Assembly. Twenty-four composers participated in another competition arranged for the selection of a musical composition for the National Anthem. The Council, which was only able to convene in 1924, due to the War of Independence adopted the music composed by Ali Rifat agatay. The words of the National Anthem were sung to this music for eight years. Thereafter, the nusic of the National Anthem was changed to an arrangement written by Zeki ngr, conductor of the Presidental Symphonic Orchestra, and the words of the National Anthem have been sung to this musical accompainment ever since.

Gallipoli View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Gallipoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2004 at 07:35

National Anthem

Lyrics by : M.Akif Ersoy

Music composed by : Zeki ngr

Gallipoli View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Gallipoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2004 at 07:36
Istiklal Marsi

Fear not, the crimson flag, waving in these dawns will never fade
Before the last hearth that is burning in my nation vanishes.
That is my nation's star, it will shine;
That is mine, it belongs solely to my nation.

Oh coy crescent do not frown for I am ready to sacrifice myself for you!
Please smile upon my heroic nation, why that anger, why that rage?
If you frown, our blood shed for you will not be worthy.
Freedom is the right of my nation who worships God and seeks what is right.

Lyrics by M. Akif Ersoy
Music composed by Zeki Ungor
Gallipoli View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Gallipoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2004 at 07:37

My favorite anthems are:

La Marseilles

Star Spangled Banner

Soviet Anthem

YusakuJon3 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote YusakuJon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2004 at 08:07
America's National Anthem: The Star Spangled Banner

Composed by Francis Scott Key as he awaited the outcome of a battle while against the British during the War of 1812.  Although a couple of other such songs have been written since then, this remains the most popular choice for national anthem amongst we Americans.
"There you go again!"

-- President Ronald W. Reagan (directed towards reporters at a White House press conference, mid-1980s)
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2004 at 12:27

As stated on the government of Canada web site.

"O Canada" was proclaimed Canada's national anthem on July 1, 1980, 100 years after it was first sung on June 24, 1880. The music was composed by Calixa Lavalle, a well-known composer; French lyrics to accompany the music were written by Sir Adolphe-Basile Routhier. The song gained steadily in popularity. Many English versions have appeared over the years. The version on which the official English lyrics are based was written in 1908 by Mr. Justice Robert Stanley Weir. The official English version includes changes recommended in 1968 by a Special Joint Committee of the Senate and House of Commons. The French lyrics remain unaltered.

TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2004 at 12:39

Polish National Anthem (Dbrowski's Mazurka) was created between 16 and 19 of July, 1795 in Reggio di Emilia in Italy, on the occasion of the departure of the Polish legions, led by general Jan Henryk Dbrowski (1755-1818) to fight in the Revolutionary wars (supporting the French ). The author of the "Song of the Polish Legions in Italy" - as the anthem was originally called - was Jzef Wybicki, General Dbrowski's close associate. The folk tune and the inspiring texts, with the first strophe beginning with "Poland's not dead as long as we live" immediately captured the attention of the soldiers, Poland's emigres and the country inhabitants.

Polish national anthem:

http://www.thenationalanthems.com/country/poland.htm

Other national anthems (with music) :

http://www.thenationalanthems.com/ 

Edited by TJK
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2004 at 12:57
I think American national anthem is poetic and lovely  Its actions are not....however
Grrr..
Gallipoli View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Gallipoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2004 at 08:46

And the rockets red glare,the bombs bursting in air....

cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2004 at 12:31

yes, America`s national anthem is a song in which the people relish bombing the crap out of countries while they hold their hands over their hearts ....

The rockets red glare and bombs bursting in air refers to the Flag standing against the bombing of U.S. Fort McHenry by the British. Francis Scott Key who was detained by them on ship 8 miles out was moved by this.

ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2004 at 19:26

The Soviet Armenian national anthem was a poem written by Sarmen. The music was composed by the Armenian Aram Khatchaturian, one of the top 3 composers of the 20th century. This was the anthem until 1991.

In 1991 they incorporated a new anthem to celebrate independence from the USSR. It is based on the anthem of the First Armenian Republic (1918-1920), but with different lyrics. The author of the lyrics is poet Mikael Nalbandian (1829-1866) and the music is from Barsegh Kanachyan (1885-1967). These are the lyrics, symbolizing Armenian survival and heart throughout thousands of years of tragedy:

Our fatherland, free and independent,
That lived from century to century
His children are calling
Free independent Armenia.

Here brother, for you a flag,
That I made with my hands
Nights I didn't sleep,
With tears I washed it.

Look at it, three colors
It's our gifted symbol.
Let it shine against the enemy.
Let Armenia always be glorious.

Everywhere death is the same
Everyone dies only once
But lucky is the one
Who is sacrificed for his nation.

Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2008 at 06:32
Chilean natural anthem is focussed in nature, and also in the very chovinistic myth that we live in a paradyse. Chilean anthem is quite long, but we just song a part of it.
Its final form is from 1840.
Curiosly, the anthem is a dialog between chileans an a mythic Chile as a living being.

Verse 5:
Puro, Chile, es tu cielo azulado,(Pure, my Chile, is your blue sky)

Puras brisas te cruzan también,(kind winds cross you as well)

Y tu campo de flores bordado (and your countyside is stitched in flowers)

Es la copia feliz del Edén.(is the happy copy of the eden garden)

Majestuosa es la blanca montaña
(majestic is the white mountain)

Que te dio por baluarte el Señor,
(that gave you the Lord to use as a castle to protect you)

Y ese mar que tranquilo te baña
(and that peaceful sea that washes you)

Te promete futuro esplendor.
(promises you future prosperity)

Chorus:
Dulce Patria, recibe los votos (sweet country, receive our promise)
Con que Chile en tus aras juró (that Chile in the altars sweared)
Que o la tumba serás de los libres (that you will be the tumb of the free)
O el asilo contra la opresión. (or will be land to refuge people from opresion)

Edited by pinguin - 11-May-2008 at 06:50
Caoimhe View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Caoimhe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2008 at 01:11
The Irish National Anthem is called Amhrán na bhFiann (pronounce awrawn na vfian).

It was written by a man named Peadar Kearney in 1907 in English under the name the Soldier's Song . It was a popular song among the Irish Volunteers(est 1913) and was sung by them during the Easter Rising 1916 and afterward in the British prison camps.

It was adopted as the official Anthem in 1926 by the Free State.
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2008 at 19:51
the anthem of people's republic of china has a short history, to be honest i think the state's flag and anthem are lame, no history, no tradition, just some communist bullshit imported from soviet russia
Maximus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary
suspended

Quote Maximus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 02:16
Originally posted by cattus

yes, America`s national anthem is a song in which the people relish bombing the crap out of countries while they hold their hands over their hearts ....
You sir have insulted my country, the National Anthem of my country and you have insulted all Americans.

You are lower than a snake.  I step on your neck.  May your children lament your deeds.
There is no place in a civilized society for your hatred.
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 02:35
You better cool it. I'm getting the feeling your not going to last long here if you keep acting like a nationalist. If you would have cared to read the thread, you'd know cattus wasn't a snake after all since he was defending the anthem and using sarcasim.

Stop looking for fights with others, we won't put up with it. And a civilized society doesn't look to pick fights over trivial matters. Don't let me catch you attacking another member again, this is a unoffical warning, thats probably going against my better judgement. But looking at the majority of your posts, you look like you can contribute. Don't make me regret my decision.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 12:00

China's national anthem---The March of the Volunteers is created in 1935. At that time China was plunged into a war against Japan.This song firstly appeared in a movie and it's officially set as our national anthem in 1949-- after the establishment of PRC.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>