Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sci Fi vs. Fantasy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sci Fi vs. Fantasy
    Posted: 21-Feb-2013 at 08:01
Assuming you have a preference or even enjoy both...then presuming interest. Explain why and who you view as the greats in the genre's.

If not..then go and talk about the current Pope's resignation.*

Mine are simple. All of those who were in sci fi were scientists or had a science based background. Hence they made the 'fi'  believable 'sci'.

Clarke.
Asimov.
Heinlein.
Blish.
Anderson.

As for fantasy, there really are to many to list... but at the top... due to their originality..depth of plot and character developement; tied to their love of mythology and or the plain ole weird...the following stand in my hall of fame.

Poe.
Burroughs.
Verne.
Tolkien.
Lovecraft.
Howard.
Norton.
Zelazny.
Leiber.

* remember if this is too tough...go to: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=33246

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 21-Feb-2013 at 08:03
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2013 at 08:06
No borders between those two today!Fantasy&Sci Fi today are reality tomorrow.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2013 at 10:46
I would have to include Gene Roddenberry[spelling?]  to that list.

Med. is right to a great extent.  We have out-rogered Buck Rogers for sure.  Futurists such as Chester Gould, [Dick Tracy] had a tough time keeping ahead of things.  In the 30's and 40's Dick Tracy's "2 way wrist radio" was a way out dream.  By the late 60's it was a "2 way wrist TV" which evolved into a wrist computer. But it only took a few years before even that became "everyday". 

I have a view of things that most here don't. At the age of 5, I was in the cusp, so to speak, of 2 eras.  Television was brand new. [we owned the 3rd TV set in townWink] But Radio still ruled. Jet tech. was still largely experimental.  Rockets and Satellites? Not in 1951. 

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2013 at 15:13
A.E.Merritt
A.E. van Vogt
L. Ron Hubbard
L. Sprague DeCamp
Kieth Laumer
Frederick Pohl
Poul Anderson
Fritz Lieber

I may have you beat, RC - born in '43 and grew up in post-war Europe.  Didn't even see a TV set until we returned from Germany in 1957.  One of the few people in America today who has traveled by troop train, troop ship and troop plane.

Edited by Mountain Man - 21-Feb-2013 at 15:18
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2013 at 16:25
You have me by 3 years. Big smile Your experience is about the same as my wife's. She was an Army Brat and also grew up in Germany, they returned here about the same time.  Television was new to her also.
But you have nearly the same perspective as myself.  Try explaining to someone under 30 who is holding an IPhone, what a "Party Line" was.Wink   
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2013 at 20:57
Originally posted by red clay

You have me by 3 years. Big smile Your experience is about the same as my wife's. She was an Army Brat and also grew up in Germany, they returned here about the same time.  Television was new to her also.
But you have nearly the same perspective as myself.  Try explaining to someone under 30 who is holding an IPhone, what a "Party Line" was.Wink   

Mission impossible.  Like telling them about phones that were hardwired into the wall, operators that were on duty everywhere 24/7 to help you, and a phone company that provided excellent service at a decent cost across the entire nation.young people today have zero clue about anything older than they are.

Hell...I remember serialized shows on AM radio.  Ermm
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2013 at 21:14

Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2013 at 01:38
Before Flash Gordon there was the Rocket Man, serialized in movie theaters everywhere along with those double headers that they used to show.   Clap

Edited by Mountain Man - 05-Mar-2013 at 01:40
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2013 at 02:03
15 years before,i have started my lessons with futuristic overview about subject&technology resources we had than about it.Now i start like:Even "Sony" does not knows about it's future production programs . Wе have only 20 years between VHS tapes&CD tech&flash memories.New TV comes on or goes out? New eye lenses for interactive picture projecting on retina will expel our TV sets out of our homes.New devices will use umbilical cord with our brain directly so that reality&Fantasy we can not recognize.Have you check your cord is still on?Big smileNeo does not calls you?LOL

Edited by medenaywe - 05-Mar-2013 at 02:05
 Post Reply Post Reply