Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alexander the Great and Military Success

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mikecallutheran View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mikecallutheran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alexander the Great and Military Success
    Posted: 15-Feb-2013 at 19:03
Hi I am a student at CLU enrolled in an upper division history class that is way over my head. My professor has given me the topic of finding out why Alexander the Great was able to triumph so successfully create his empire. The catch is I have to use primary sources only and have no idea where to start. I am currently looking at some of Plutarchs works but any advice or information on just where to start for this topic would be highly appriciated thanks for taking the time to read.

TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2013 at 19:26
I think there are meant to be about five, for which Plutarch is but one. The other four, as I can gather are, Arrian, Curtius, Diodoros, and Justin. Maybe other members can be of more help.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2013 at 01:32
Mike,I have a question for your professor before i start:Did man known today as,Alexander reestablish old
empire parts,or conquer those as new?Cause dating says that before "Persian" invasion in 625B.C. all those
parts had been Egyptian&Egyptian colonies state property(similar as Britain Commonwealth now).Alexander
&his people had entered Egypt as liberators  and ruled Egypt in this way 300 years after?("Persian" cause
we still have no name about those people state.We have their rulers names only)
Mikecallutheran View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Mikecallutheran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2013 at 15:07
Sorry about the confusion. From what i can gather, because he is a very eccentric individual, he was saying that i need to create a paper that discusses how alexander was successful in his military conquests but to not focus on the military successes in battle and rather on tactics he employed to keep his empire in check. 

I realize however that this is extremely broad so I am considering going to the second topic he gave me which is how the ancient persian empire, post greco persian wars, played parts in the formation fo early Greek democracy. For instance he gave me an example of how sparta went to the persians for help in the pelopenisian wars. What makes this really diffcult is finding the primary sources as I have absolutly no idea where to begin and he was much less than helpful as far as naming any sources to use. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank!
 Post Reply Post Reply