Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Iranian obsession with Nordic features

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Shamshir View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Shamshir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Iranian obsession with Nordic features
    Posted: 09-Feb-2013 at 02:48
I have always wondered why SOME Iranians have an obsession with Nordic features such as blonde hair and light eyes! They take pride in relating their race (mine also) to that of the Germans in particular by showing off pictures of Iranian people who possess Nordic facial features. No offence to Germans, but I think this is quite degenerating to us Iranians everywhere. We have a rich history and culture, we do not need to establish an "Aryan Brotherhood" or any similar nonsense with the Europeans. Ironically, the Achaemenids, the greatest Iranians of all-time, did not have blonde hair and blue eyes. Google their pictures and see for yourselves.

Sorry about the rant, just needed to get that off my chest.
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2013 at 03:22
Personally, Shamshir, I prefer people to be inclusive with one another, and having and building connections. If there are Iranians who feel a connection with us Europeans with blonde hair(mine is all but gone now) and light eyes, and it isn't in an unhealthy way, then what's the harm? We're all humans at the end of the day.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Shamshir View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Shamshir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2013 at 03:43
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

Personally, Shamshir, I prefer people to be inclusive with one another, and having and building connections. If there are Iranians who feel a connection with us Europeans with blonde hair(mine is all but gone now) and light eyes, and it isn't in an unhealthy way, then what's the harm? We're all humans at the end of the day.

I agree. People should be inclusive with one another. But the fact that it is a "one sided relationship" is somehow embarrassing. It's not a habit of Europeans to keep associating themselves with us. In fact, we sometimes get shafted by them. So, why should we Iranians associate ourselves with them?
I once saw a video in which the Iranian crowd gave the Nazi salute to the German national football team during a friendly match! I almost slammed my head against my keyboard. Angry

Edited by Shamshir - 09-Feb-2013 at 03:53
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2013 at 03:56
Western Europeans have a lighter reserve toward Eastern Europeans, considered more mixed than them (WE) but less than Asian people.

And I would say Eastern Europeans see Asian people more mixed then themselves, which is not very untrue either.

But this is not a racial thing, is rather a form of self-protecting from groups of general lower education and worse behaviour and habits.

AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2013 at 03:59
Originally posted by Shamshir

I agree. People should be inclusive with one another. But the fact that it is a "one sided relationship" is somehow embarrassing. It's not a habit of Europeans to keep associating themselves with us. In fact, we sometimes get shafted by them. So, why should we Iranians associate ourselves with them, right?
I once saw a video in which the Iranian crowd gave the Nazi salute to the German national football team during a friendly match! I almost slammed my head against my keyboard. Angry
When people pick out those to not associate with they are actively discriminating, which is far more unhealthy than the alternative.

If it's association with blonde haired, light eyed Europeans due to an unhealthy association with the whole Nazi German thing, then I would agree, that's not a good thing, as we all know what that's all about. Btw, Shamshir, that thing you're calling Nordic features were features of people from Iranian lands once upon a time. 
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2013 at 04:03
I noticed that the more mixed a group is, the bigger social problems are because individuals characterized by immorality, lack of civic attitude, corruption.

Examples: Italy, Greece, Romania, Bulgaria, all having the most mixed populations in Europe due to historical migrations or imperialism.

Perhaps the more mixed a group is, more contradictory personality types exists, or another explanation is that the more mixed a population is, the personalities of individuals are stronger and more complex, leading to generally higher conflictual relations, tendencies break the law, deceive etc.

AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2013 at 04:05
Originally posted by Menumorut

But this is not a racial thing, is rather a form of self-protecting from groups of general lower education and worse behaviour and habits.

Really, Menumorut, considering the incredibly high standards in education in many Asian countries in comparison to most European, and western countries?
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2013 at 04:10

Really, Menumorut, considering the incredibly high standards in education in many Asian countries in comparison to most European, and western countries?

I should have said Near Orient.

Shamshir View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Shamshir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2013 at 04:15

... Btw, Shamshir, that thing you're calling Nordic features were features of people from Iranian lands once upon a time. 

I don't think so. Northern Iranians slightly resemble Nords. But most original Iranians have always looked the same: Black hair, thick brows, light (but not blue) eyes and fair skin.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2013 at 04:20

I noticed that the more mixed a group is, the bigger social problems are because individuals characterized by immorality, lack of civic attitude, corruption.

Examples: Italy, Greece, Romania, Bulgaria, all having the most mixed populations in Europe due to historical migrations or imperialism.

Perhaps the more mixed a group is, more contradictory personality types exists, or another explanation is that the more mixed a population is, the personalities of individuals are stronger and more complex, leading to generally higher conflictual relations, tendencies break the law, deceive etc.
I'm pretty sure that personality types run across the board, Menumorut, regardless which ethnic group you come from. Those who discriminate against those of different ethnic groups, because they are from a different ethnic group is more likely to cause social unrest, and problems.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2013 at 04:24

I don't think so. Northern Iranians slightly resemble Nords. But most original Iranians have always looked the same: Black hair, thick brows, light (but not blue) eyes and fair skin.
You're forgetting Iran's historical links with the Scythians, the Sarmatians, the Alani.
Shamshir View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Shamshir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2013 at 04:27

I couldn't agree more. I also think that racially diverse nations tend to have a very low sense of national pride, since the only connection between its citizen is often linguistic, which is as weak a factor. I, however, DO NOT support supremacism in any way, shape or form. At the end of the day, all of us are nothing more than evolved apes.
Shamshir View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Shamshir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2013 at 04:36

You're forgetting Iran's historical links with the Scythians, the Sarmatians, the Alani.

Yes, I'm aware of that. But I'm not quite sure if the Scythians, Sarmatians and the Alani possessed Nordic features. However, if what you're saying is true, then the Achaemenids and the Sassanids weren't Iranians, since they didn't have blonde hair and blue eyes!!
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2013 at 04:38

I couldn't agree more. I also think that racially diverse nations tend to have a very low sense of national pride, since the only connection between its citizen is often linguistic, which is as weak a factor. I, however, DO NOT support supremacism in any way, shape or form. At the end of the day, all of us are nothing more than evolved apes.
I'm not a person who believes that there are more than one race, the human race. But I do believe that there are very many ethnic groups. In your opinion, Shamshir, does Iran having many ethnic groups make it less proud of itself?
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2013 at 04:54

Yes, I'm aware of that. But I'm not quite sure if the Scythians, Sarmatians and the Alani possessed Nordic features. However, if what you're saying is true, then the Achaemenids and the Sassanids weren't Iranians, since they didn't have blonde hair and blue eyes!!
Well the features of the Scythians, Sarmatians, and the Alani have been documented, with a great many indeed having those features you're describing as nordic. In all probability you might have found it difficult to have found those with what you're calling nordic features in Scythian times. In my opinion, and this is only my opinion, I would say there's a connection with people with blonde or red hair, blue or green eyes, and those with a cleft in their chin. What I am not saying, Shamshir, is that the people in ancient Iranian lands weren't ethnically diverse.
Shamshir View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Shamshir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2013 at 05:04

I'm not a person who believes that there are more than one race, the human race. But I do believe that there are very many ethnic groups. In your opinion, Shamshir, does Iran having many ethnic groups make it less proud of itself?

Yes and no.

Yes, there are many ethnic groups in Iran, many of which are non-Iranic. They are culturally, linguistically and racially disconnected from Iran. They have no sense of pride of their country and are labelled as seperatists. They're a danger to the territorial integrity of Iran.

No, There are many Iranic ethinc groups in Iran and those are proud Iranians who acknowledge the glory of the past and are nationally aware.

But lets take a general look at Iran today. Ethnic diversity is damaging the unity of country. Intentional distortion of pre-Islamic Iranian history caused by ethnic hostilities and lack of national pride. All of these problems are an indirect result of racial mixing which has been occurring in Iran for atleast 1400 years.

But we're going way off topic here.

Edited by Shamshir - 09-Feb-2013 at 05:06
Shamshir View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Shamshir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2013 at 05:20

Well the features of the Scythians, Sarmatians, and the Alani have been documented, with a great many indeed having those features you're describing as nordic. In all probability you might have found it difficult to have found those with what you're calling nordic features in Scythian times. In my opinion, and this is only my opinion, I would say there's a connection with people with blonde or red hair, blue or green eyes, and those with a cleft in their chin. What I am not saying, Shamshir, is that the people in ancient Iranian lands weren't ethnically diverse.

So, are you saying that a blonde Scythian is as much Iranian as a black-haired Persian?

Well, that makes sense. Smile
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2013 at 05:25

So, are you saying that a blonde Scythian is as much Iranian as a black-haired Persian?

Well, that makes sense. Smile
For at least a significant proportion yes.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2013 at 05:50

Yes and no.

Yes, there are many ethnic groups in Iran, many of which are non-Iranic. They are culturally, linguistically and racially disconnected from Iran. They have no sense of pride of their country and are labelled as seperatists. They're a danger to the territorial integrity of Iran.

No, There are many Iranic ethinc groups in Iran and those are proud Iranians who acknowledge the glory of the past and are nationally aware.

But lets take a general look at Iran today. Ethnic diversity is damaging the unity of country. Intentional distortion of pre-Islamic Iranian history caused by ethnic hostilities and lack of national pride. All of these problems are an indirect result of racial mixing which has been occurring in Iran for atleast 1400 years.

But we're going way off topic here.
Maybe these people who you are saying have no pride in their country, are feeling isolated and discriminated against within their own country, while at the same time showing pride in their own ethnic background as a part of that country. Considering what you're saying about Iranic ethnic group, which means that they are ethnically diverse too, and other ethnic groups, being ethnically diverse on its own is unlikely to be what is causing problems. Let me ask you this, Shamshir, when those from any of the groups you're suggesting are problematic to Iran, do something notable and good, do you see it as something which makes you proud to be Iranian over?

As for the mixing of peoples being at least 1400 years, you can at least double that, and then go for at least a good few hundred years, considering what has already been said about the mixing of peoples involved with the Iranic invasion of the Iranian Plateau.
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2013 at 06:23

I have always wondered why SOME Iranians have an obsession with Nordic features such as blonde hair and light eyes! They take pride in relating their race (mine also) to that of the Germans in particular by showing off pictures of Iranian people who possess Nordic facial features. No offence to Germans, but I think this is quite degenerating to us Iranians everywhere. We have a rich history and culture, we do not need to establish an "Aryan Brotherhood" or any similar nonsense with the Europeans. Ironically, the Achaemenids, the greatest Iranians of all-time, did not have blonde hair and blue eyes. Google their pictures and see for yourselves.

Sorry about the rant, just needed to get that off my chest.

If Iranian culture had its roots in Africa, SOME Iranians would have an obsession with Black African features! You should blame the ancient Iranian culture, not those Iranians who love to relate themselves to their ancestors.

The fact is that they were SOME Germans who had no strong relation to the rich Aryan civilization, had an obsession with Aryan culture just because their physical features.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>