Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Was Saladin a great genral or man in good siuation?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Was Saladin a great genral or man in good siuation?
    Posted: 09-May-2005 at 13:03
what you think? i think he was take more than his size
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2005 at 13:39

I don't know but he is so much respected in Syria, a large statue of him has been built in front of the Damascus citadel and also a great mausoleum near the Umayyad mosque.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2005 at 14:46
I think he was a good general, but not a great general.  He had a large share of setbacks and defeats.  I think his true greatness lies as a dilpomat.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 11:19
i agree with you he was good in doplomatic ways he like fox
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
iskenderani View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote iskenderani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 11:29

Above all Salah El Din , was a great leader....The army that he commanded , believed in him .

He was also very respected by his enemies ..... and this is a proof of his greatness.

To be a good , or great general , is usual , to be a good political diplomat , is also usual ....But to combine both of these abilities , that makes a great leader of men ...And from this point of view , Salah El Din , was a great leader.

Isk.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 14:04
Originally posted by iskenderani

Above all Salah El Din , was a great leader....The army that he commanded , believed in him .

He was also very respected by his enemies ..... and this is a proof of his greatness.

To be a good , or great general , is usual , to be a good political diplomat , is also usual ....But to combine both of these abilities , that makes a great leader of men ...And from this point of view , Salah El Din , was a great leader.

Isk.

His name was Salahaddin, not Salah El Din.

Kenaney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Kenaney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 14:25
Bilmiyosan hic yazma Iskender
OUT OF LIMIT
ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2005 at 10:43
what'd you say about Iskender? 
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2005 at 12:11
I agree he wasn't a great general, but a good one. However I thought his fame came from the fact he was a civilised man when all around him, friend and enemy were barbarians.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Baron
Baron

Quote iskenderani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2005 at 15:35

Originally posted by Kenaney

Do u have the equipment to say whatever u want in English ??

I have to remind u that i do have ways to find out if u will say it as it is...For the moment i have copied it ...

Isk.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2005 at 15:40

I have to remind u that i do have ways to find out if u will say it as it is...For the moment i have copied it ...

Isk.

He wrote "If you dont know, dont write Isk".

But I thought you knew Turkish, dont you, at least the basic?

Baron
Baron

Quote iskenderani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2005 at 17:25
Originally posted by Oguzoglu

Isk.

Just for the record , and i am answering just this...

Do any one of u know Arabic ??? I , do , happen to know...

So , if u dont know dont write ...and keep ur advices to urselves...

IF u know Arabic ...then try to translate the document Phallanx produced to u ...

Isk.

Baron
Baron

Quote iskenderani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2005 at 17:27

And by the way ...

Have the equipment men have  , and write in English...

Isk..

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2005 at 21:17

I personally think Saladin receives a little too much credit for the defeat of the Crusader States. We must remember that he was preceeded by Zengi and the even more capable Nur Al-Din. Both of these men were capable commanders and good aadministrators. Islamic power had been growing and Crusader power had been declining for generations by the time Saladin came to power. So I think historians should really give praise to those two leaders, they gave Saladin the base he needed to defeat the Crusaders.

As a man Saladin was a capable commander, I would also say a good but not great one. He was also a VERY good administrator and handled a favourable situation masterfully. He is still a medieval ruler though, and had been known to kill out of anger on a few occasions. But by the standards of the day he was a good deal more humane than most leaders. He came to power in a favourable situation and capitalized well on the advantages.

Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2005 at 05:46

Saladid was probably smarter than those around at the time, thus waging all pros and cons before engaging without a plan, like some more fanatic leaders (on both sides) used to.

Anyway, I heard that, in Crusades matter, he his not regarder as the greatest hero to the Arab world, and that Baybars is the one who is looked up. Is this in any way accurate?

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2005 at 06:29

just being littel bit off topic

his name is pronounced Salah Al-Deen also can be pronounced Salah Eddeen.

in english or western knowledge they know him as Saladin. which is obviously wrong as many other things.

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2005 at 07:42
Originally posted by azimuth

in english or western knowledge they know him as Saladin. which is obviously wrong as many other things.

It's a more or less a direct transcription of Salah ad-Din, which was his name ("Saladin" was pronounced salah-deen). Its like saying Beijing is "wrong" because it isn't written with signs.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2005 at 12:23

Originally posted by Oguzoglu

Isk.

Just for the record , and i am answering just this...

Do any one of u know Arabic ??? I , do , happen to know...

So , if u dont know dont write ...and keep ur advices to urselves...

IF u know Arabic ...then try to translate the document Phallanx produced to u ...

Isk.

Ok Isk, just dont try to attack the first target you find. I only translated his sentence to you, as you wished to learn what he said, and then asked you if you knew Turkish, since you have understood lots of Turkish words and sentences before, but failed to understand the meaning of the Turkish sentence that Kenaney wrote. So please, dont change discussions to your attacking bases.

And no, I dont know Arabic, but as we are Muslims, we dont need to learn arabic to know some arabic names, like you and other Christians dont need to learn Latin or Hebrew to know some of their names. But lots of people in this region of Turkey (close to Syria) know Arabic, or at least the basics.

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2005 at 21:34
Thanks for the correction. To be honest I wasn't certain of the correct Arabic way of saying the name as my history books offer a few different versions on how to say it so I stuck with the Anglicised version.
 Post Reply Post Reply