Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aztecs Weapons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Darius of Parsa View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aztecs Weapons
    Posted: 31-Oct-2007 at 03:27
What is the officer problem?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 01:22
Originally posted by kory_2110

my class has a project on the conquest between spaniards and aztecs and i have to do the editorial from the peerspective of a spaniard post me on any info u got thnx! Tongue

Well, Imagine you are an Spanish soldier. As any of the guys of those times you started in the army perhaps when you were just 12th years old. You have killed and seing people killed all over Europe already, and have stand all the brutalities you could expect so far. However, the worst was to come.

You are part of a troop controlled by some very couragious but unbelievable though guy, that will hung you at the least fault. A man accustumed not only to kill but also to mutilate his enemies, like it was a common practise those times.

You enter a territory where natives were quite sofisticated but that practised ritual human sacrifices in a daily basis. A people so cruel that the rest of the natives of the region were afraid of them, an preffer to ally to you.

You has to stand the most unbelievable pain in the long walks (most Spaniards walk, horses were few) carrying a pike at the shoulder. You were constantly attacked and several of your friend already died.

And you keep seeing brutality of your own and at the enemy side as well. Sometimes your allies are worst than your own people!

In short, Spaniards ended completely shocked with the adventure. It shows in the numerous works they wrote after the conquest. They always described the Aztec empire like Hell. And in certain sense they were saying the truth. It is amazing that the priest believe they could change that mentality and people, and it is amazing as well that the Mexican people embraced Christianity so willingly.

The life of the Conquistadors and early settlers was very though. It was hell on earth. Even worst, some generations later the descendents of those Spaniards were ashame of the Conquistadors!

Finally, most of the Conquistadors died brutally. Some were killed by their own people. Other, like Valdivia, died in the field and ended cannibilized.

When the wars were over, you have no reason to go back to Europe. Got married with a Native woman and tried to forget the past. You never manage to do it.

It was a human tragedy for both sides. That was the conquist.

Pinguin

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 21:52
Originally posted by Paul

Originally posted by hugoestr

Paul,

My nephew has shown your weapons to his middle school classmates. Now you have a group of fans

Wow addoring fans..... I feel like Michael Jackson..

Is that good? Michael?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 21:48
my class has a project on the conquest between spaniards and aztecs and i have to do the editorial from the peerspective of a spaniard post me on any info u got thnx! Tongue

Edited by kory_2110 - 22-Mar-2007 at 21:50
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2007 at 19:41
Clap

Spanish had a few Cavalry, Musketeers, Crossbowmen, cannons and a lot of Rodeleros.

The musketeers were few and would have used matchlocks. In the climate it was difficult to keep the powder dry and they weren't particularly effective.

Crossbows again there weren't many but they proved better than the muskets. The Spanish were able to get supplies of bolts from the Tlaxcallans who could manufacture them but were unable to get parts to repair them if anything went wrong, so they were of limited effect.

Cavalry were devastating but few in number. Though one horse was famously beheaded by a macuahuitl.

Cannons also were quite effective though the Aztecs reportedly learnt to hit the dirt when they saw they were about to be fired.

Rodeleros made up 90% of the army and carried broadswords and buckler shields. They fought in tight formation supporting one another which gave them the advantage over the loose formation individual fighting of the Aztecs. A bit like Romans vs Gauls.

One more weapon deserves a mention, the most effective spanish weapon of all, their indian allies. At the siege of Tenochtitlan the Spanish probably made up no more than 3-4% of the army.

Aztecs used a great mix of weapons, many lost to us now.

Heavy troops carried Atl Atl dart throwers which gave greater power when throwing (60%) increasing range and effect. They also carried shields and Macuahuitl.

Lighter troops carried bows or slings. Aztecs regarded bows as beneath them and recruited mostly allied archers. The Spanish hated the slingers the most.

Aztec allies carried other weapons, the Two Handed Macuahuitl being most notable.

The most effective indian weapon was the bow. But it required large quantities of arrows so was for home games only. Large quantities of arrows being to difficult to carry on campaign. Tlaxcallans who fought defensively were mainly archers and gave the bow a high status, their bows were much more powerful than Aztecs ones.

Aztecs who fought away games prefered heavy troops with Macuahuitl because it was easy to carry on campaign.

maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Quote maqsad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2006 at 22:10
Originally posted by Keith43221

Hi (new) Friends,
My class is doing a mock trail on The Aztecs Meet the Spanish.
I have been sent out to find out everthing I can about weapons
that were used when the Spaish moved into Aztec territory I
need to know about Spainsh and Aztec weapons.
So load me up with whatever you can. I saw the macuahuitl that
a man built, and I have also heard of a Atatls.
Thanks Very much!

The most important weapons that both sides had were germs. This is often forgotten because neither side planned it that way. Evidently the Spanish germs had a much more devastating effect.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2005 at 19:01

Originally posted by hugoestr

Paul,

My nephew has shown your weapons to his middle school classmates. Now you have a group of fans

Wow addoring fans..... I feel like Michael Jackson..

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2005 at 00:57

A good book to check out is:

Jeremy Black. Cambridge Illustrated Atlas of Warfare: Renaissance to Revolution 1492-1792. London: Cambridge University Press, 1996.

There is a good deal of discussion on the early Spanish explorers in Mexico and South America, mainly Cortez.  Of course the technological advantage of the Spanish in the form of firearms and horses is mentioned, but other good points are made in reference to their success against the Aztecs and the Mayans.

Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2005 at 12:17

Keith:
check out this website. I compiled the info in another forum:

http://s9.invisionfree.com/Hispanic_History/index.php?showto pic=48&st=0&#last

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2005 at 11:27
Paul,

giani_82 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote giani_82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2005 at 17:51

Osprey books on that matter may assist you.

Falws of the weapons - slow recharge, short range of the rifles' accuracy, rain was a serious issue as well. The swords however surpassed the melee weapons of the Aztecs.

For the Spanish weapons we have to thank primarily the Chinese that were the first to use gunpowder, people that came from the Arabian peninsula are supposedly the ones that brought the knowledge to Europe, and finally the competition that occured in Europe with all the wars going on. The Hittitte can also recieve credit as they were the first to use iron.

Edited by giani_82
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising everytime we fall."
Confucius
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2005 at 21:02

What I got so far:

All of the Spanish weapons were made of metel.

Flaws:?

The fact that they had been around more and done more fighting allowed them to find out what makes a good weapon. 

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2005 at 09:39
OK. Now I need to find a little on the spanish.
Were all the battes agiste the Aztecs fought with metal weapons?
What might of been some flaws with spanish weapons?
What eanabled the Spanish to have good weapons?
Thanks guys, I will go look some but if you guys can help that would be
great!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2005 at 09:25
Thanks guys! I guess i have some things i need to change.
Thanks again!
Kynsi View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Kynsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2005 at 07:45

Aztecs were every bit as good as the Spanish in combat, it was weaponary that made the Spanish superior. given equal weapons and no disease the Aztecs could have defended their empire.

True that. The diseases(smallpox and typhus) that the settlers spread was one of the main reasons to the defeat of the South-American tribes.

For example the population of the indians in Mexican territory plummeted from 25 million to some over 1 million in years 1519 - 1600
If you keep one eye on the past then you are blind in one eye, but if you
forget the past then you are blind in both eyes -old russian saying
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2005 at 05:09

Q: What were there weapons made of?

A: Wood, Stone, and various metals

Aztec weapons were made of wood, with obsidian or flint blades. They also used fishbones for arrowheads, but no metal.

Q: How would of different weapons helped you to beat the Spanish?

A: The Spanish had firearms. No wood or stone weapon could beat these.

Spanish were primarily swordsmen, muskets were lagely ineffective. Steel swords and spears would be the best weapons to face the Spanish with.

Q: Why did you not have more advance weapons?

A: Because the Aztecs did not have the resources that the Spanish had?

The Aztecs hadn't discovered iron.

Q: Would Spanish influence in the Aztecs territory allow better weapons, therefore a greater chance of increasing your territory?

A: Yes with the knowledge about firearms the Aztecs could have done better. But when if came down to the point it was the skill in hand to hand combat that allowed the Spanish to win.

The big limitation on the Aztec empire was not weapons, they were conquering fine. It was logistics and the lack of beasts of burdon.

Q: Could the Aztecs continued to expand and protect their empire despite the primitive weapons?

A: No, the Spanish had great hand-to-hand combat and would have stopped the Aztecs even if the weapons were equally matched.

Aztecs were every bit as good as the Spanish in combat, it was weaponary that made the Spanish superior. given equal weapons and no disease the Aztecs could have defended their empire.

Q: In what ways were the Aztecs weapons better than the Spanish weapons?A:The Aztecs had some better weapons such as longer lances.

They could be maintained and repaired locally. They were cheap to manufacture and huge armies could easily be equipped with them.

giani_82 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote giani_82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2005 at 21:34

Actually some of the weapons were made of obsidian (vulcanic glass). The Aztecs never actually used iron in weapon making. The Aztecs outnumbered the Spaniards though some religious prejudice partially obstructed them from carrying a well planned offansive against the Spaniards at the start.

The Aztecs also didn't have as advanced weapons because they have never been in the situation of the Spanish - never-lasting wars which brought more competition at many levels among which the improvement of the battle gear. Influence from Asia also came in useful to the warfare. At the same time the Aztecs had little progress.

It's hard to say that the Spanish influence would have prevented the Aztecs' downfall. There was much more than just the usage of firearms, for instance, a whole different economy which supplied the Spanish army, the knowledge of modern warfare being among these reasons. In the long term, possessing firearms, the Aztecs could stand their ground, but not until too long. A well organized Spanish Army at the New World would definitely come victorious in the long term.

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising everytime we fall."
Confucius
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2005 at 21:01

Hey guys below is a thing we had to type up could you look over and tell me anything I might of messed up on? Thanks!

chemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />>>

What Kind of weapons, uniforms, warfare did the Aztecs use.

The Aztec army was highly organized and well trained. They tried not to force their opponents to retreat, but to capture them. The Spanish had steel armor but traded it for double layered leather or the padded cotton armor that the Aztecs used.

Q: What were there weapons made of?

A: Wood, Stone, and various metals

Q: How would of different weapons helped you to beat the Spanish?

A: The Spanish had firearms. No wood or stone weapon could beat these.

Q: Why did you not have more advance weapons?

A: Because the Aztecs did not have the resources that the Spanish had?

Q: Would Spanish influence in the Aztecs territory allow better weapons, therefore a greater chance of increasing your territory?

A: Yes with the knowledge about firearms the Aztecs could have done better. But when if came down to the point it was the skill in hand to hand combat that allowed the Spanish to win.

Q: Could the Aztecs continued to expand and protect their empire despite the primitive weapons?

A: No, the Spanish had great hand-to-hand combat and would have stopped the Aztecs even if the weapons were equally matched.

Q: In what ways were the Aztecs weapons better than the Spanish weapons?

The Aztecs had some better weapons such as longer lances, (what else guys?)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2005 at 13:40
Thanks for all the help so far guys! This is a great place
If I have anymore qustions i will let you guys know!
Thanks again!
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2005 at 12:13

Spanish had a few Cavalry, Musketeers, Crossbowmen, cannons and a lot of Rodeleros.

The musketeers were few and would have used matchlocks. In the climate it was difficult to keep the powder dry and they weren't particularly effective.

Crossbows again there weren't many but they proved better than the muskets. The Spanish were able to get supplies of bolts from the Tlaxcallans who could manufacture them but were unable to get parts to repair them if anything went wrong, so they were of limited effect.

Cavalry were devastating but few in number. Though one horse was famously beheaded by a macuahuitl.

Cannons also were quite effective though the Aztecs reportedly learnt to hit the dirt when they saw they were about to be fired.

Rodeleros made up 90% of the army and carried broadswords and buckler shields. They fought in tight formation supporting one another which gave them the advantage over the loose formation individual fighting of the Aztecs. A bit like Romans vs Gauls.

One more weapon deserves a mention, the most effective spanish weapon of all, their indian allies. At the siege of Tenochtitlan the Spanish probably made up no more than 3-4% of the army.

Aztecs used a great mix of weapons, many lost to us now.

Heavy troops carried Atl Atl dart throwers which gave greater power when throwing (60%) increasing range and effect. They also carried shields and Macuahuitl.

Lighter troops carried bows or slings. Aztecs regarded bows as beneath them and recruited mostly allied archers. The Spanish hated the slingers the most.

Aztec allies carried other weapons, the Two Handed Macuahuitl being most notable.

The most effective indian weapon was the bow. But it required large quantities of arrows so was for home games only. Large quantities of arrows being to difficult to carry on campaign. Tlaxcallans who fought defensively were mainly archers and gave the bow a high status, their bows were much more powerful than Aztecs ones.

Aztecs who fought away games prefered heavy troops with Macuahuitl because it was easy to carry on campaign.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>