Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGreece+Serbia vs Turkey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 37383940>
Author
Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greece+Serbia vs Turkey
    Posted: 02-Jun-2006 at 20:25
Originally posted by barish

Originally posted by Neoptolemos

When my grandfather was fighting against the Nazis your Turkish grandfather was enjoying his nargile.

Well, that's offensive. Don't forget to report yourself too.

If I offended you barish I apologise to you. My intention, however, was not to offend Turks, but to answer to provocative posters. In any case feel free to report me.
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2006 at 20:37
Actually I wasn't offended, not at all.

But that statement was offensive nevertheless. Please try to be more careful.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2006 at 00:04

Originally posted by Bulldog

We ruled half the Earth from Australlia to India etc etc, the last time Greeks had any power was um when did they have any power? Alex was a Macedonian, Byzantiums were Romans, ancient City states have nothing to do with today's Greeks.
funny, you dont know greek history, you seem to overrate you own and hey still braging about shooting people with spears?LOL

Jeez I can see why you have this identity crisis LOL
says the someone that is either a
  1. gutless turk parading as a british,
  2. a confused turk who thinks his british,
  3. a confused  british that thinks he's a turk
  4. or nordifed/germanified celtified britishman with a twist of french norman, that uses an alphabet from the romans, 
take your pickLOL

Common lets be honest, Greeks and fighting are two words which don't belong together.
yes we just shooshed the ottomans away, half my roots is in Morea so please come down there and say that, Mr brave britishLOL

We saved Europe from the Nazi's, it take's guts to fight them, an example of how to bow to Nazi's however, can be seen in WW2 Greece.
at dunkirk or after? you see greece wasnt an island and had nowhere to run

are you counting the USA help as your own, or is bombing cities considerd fighting bravelyWink

and you completely ignore the russians, poles, etc , if you dont respect everyone else contribution, why should yours be respected either?

Regards (dont take it to heart)
LOLyeah love your humour.

Edited by Leonidas - 03-Jun-2006 at 00:13
alexISS View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2006 at 01:44

Originally posted by alexISS

Actually I know more than you think barish, but I don't think the blue mosque or anything built by the Ottomans can compare to what was destroyed by them...

Why not? Try to be objective and leave your nationalistic views when you are talking about art.

A little off-topic note: Culture and Art both emerged because of the human male's need to show off to their female companions, in the same way that peacocks spread their tail, so you are more wrong than you could imagine when you talk about my misunderstanding of art's concept...

Well, I can't say I agree with you. That doesn't make any sense.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Turkey or the Turks..

Yeah, sure...

..it's just that I've got tired of your aggresive attitude towards others. I have had extensive conversations with a lot of people from Turkey, they all had one thing in common, and that was a hard to believe appetite for war.

You don't have any fanatics? That's great, please share your secret so we can get rid of ours!

Barish, if you google "art" and "sexual choice" you will find many interesting articles considering my senseless point. You may want to try this one:

http://www.cogsci.ecs.soton.ac.uk/cgi/psyc/newpsy?12.008

I really have nothing against Turkey, nor does my country. Could you give me an example of greek aggresiveness against your country that would prove me wrong? Of course there are greek nationalists and fanatics, but of a much smaller percentage than in Turkey I believe. I actually have a friend from Turkey, and I intend to visit Instabul/Constantinople soon. Greece has been to war with many other countries (remember the Greco-Italian war Bulldog?) but we have restored our good relations with all of them with the exception of Turkey and, sincerely, I believe it's you who don't want it to happen...
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2006 at 04:30
Coming back home from school,after taunted by some English boys,one boy sits before his screen and writes with a really british "accent" hereLOL

@Barish...
I don't know if sounds offensive ,but that's history.
My grandfather was wounded in March of 1941,after fighting 5 months in the snow of Pindus mountains.

Edited by Digenis - 03-Jun-2006 at 04:35
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2006 at 05:57
Originally posted by Digenis

@Barish...I don't know if sounds offensive ,but that's history.My grandfather was wounded in March of 1941,after fighting 5 months in the snow of Pindus mountains.

And our people were suffering from incredibly high taxes which were collected in order to prepare for war.

Fortunately Ismet Inonu managed to keep Turkey out of the war. Do you think that's cowardice? I don't think so.

Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2006 at 07:04
I don't blamme your grandfather of course! I m pretty sure that 60 years ago it was a hard time ,for everyone in the region-even during peace!

As for the government of Turkey, it is well known  the provision of Axis with metal (esp.chromium) and other resources for the war industry .

In any case it is far from reallity to accuse Greece for not fighting in WW2,since greek army defeated Italians in Albanian's frontier and resisted the German invasion in Bulgaria's frontier .
Finally, although the government decided a ceasfire ,after the invasion via Yugoslavia ,Cretans ,together with English and New-Zealand's soldiers, fought in the Battle of Creta.(May 1941).

alexISS View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2006 at 12:40

[
We saved Europe from the Nazi's, it take's guts to fight them, an example of how to bow to Nazi's however, can be seen in WW2 Greece.

Quotes (taken from Wikipedia)...
Winston Churchill: "From now one we won't say Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks"

Hitler's Chief of Staff, Field Marshall Wilhelm Keitel: "The unbelievably strong resistance of the Greeks delayed by two or more vital months the German attack against Russia; if we did not have this long delay, the outcome of the war would have been different in the eastern front and in the war in general."

A speech made at the Reichstag in 1941 said of the campaign: It must be said, for the sake of historical truth, that amongst all our opponents, only the Greeks fought with such endless courage and defiance of death.

The diary of Joseph Goebbels 9 April 1941: I forbid the Press to underestimate the Greeks, to defame them... The Fuhrer admires the bravery of Greeks.
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2006 at 12:55
actually the delay was more like 5-6 weeks, or so I have heard. So during the turning point in the invasion of Russia, German soldiers were freezing their ass off in Stalingrad, instead of skinny dipping in the Volga river, had they attacked a couple of weeks early.

"From now one we won't say Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks"

great quote

Edited by mamikon - 03-Jun-2006 at 12:59
the Bulgarian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2006 at 14:33
My respects to the Greeks, but the Russians could have won the war without their help.
alexISS View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2006 at 15:20
Originally posted by the Bulgarian

My respects to the Greeks, but the Russians could have won the war without their help.

You should ask the Russians about that... Another quote:

"You have fought unarmed against fully armed and you won. You have fought small against big ones and you have prevailed. It couldn't be otherwise because you are Greeks. Being Russians we have gained thanks to your sacrifice time to defend ourselves. And for this we are grateful."
Moscow Radio Station, 27-4-1942

and here's another one:

"The Greeks brought about the first actual defeat of the land forces of the Axis. Even if Greece was to be crashed tomorrow, its military contribution would remain unimpaired. It will be the glory of modern Grece that it dismantled the omnipotence of the Axis and gave to all free peoples the proof of the value of democracy. "
newspaper The New York Times, 28-11-1940

... and two more:

"Greece is for all the world an example of bravery." newspaper Bahit, Turkey

"In the name of the gagged but living French people the free French address a salute to the Greek people fighting for liberty. 25/3/41 finds Greece in the apogee of its heroic struggle and at the peak of glory. Never since the time of Salamis has Greece been greater and more glorious than this day."
General Charles De Gaulle, France

Edited by alexISS - 03-Jun-2006 at 16:51
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2006 at 16:26

[

Quotes (taken from Wikipedia)...
Winston Churchill: "From now one we won't say Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks"

Hitler's Chief of Staff, Field Marshall Wilhelm Keitel: "The unbelievably strong resistance of the Greeks delayed by two or more vital months the German attack against Russia; if we did not have this long delay, the outcome of the war would have been different in the eastern front and in the war in general."

A speech made at the Reichstag in 1941 said of the campaign: It must be said, for the sake of historical truth, that amongst all our opponents, only the Greeks fought with such endless courage and defiance of death.

The diary of Joseph Goebbels 9 April 1941: I forbid the Press to underestimate the Greeks, to defame them... The Fuhrer admires the bravery of Greeks.

Clap
(i quoted Just  to be seen again LOL)

alexISS View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2006 at 17:12
Originally posted by Digenis

Clap
(i quoted Just  to be seen again LOL)

LOLLOLLOL
Churchill's opinion on the greek WWII resistance can be considered more important than Bulldog's me thinks
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2006 at 19:37
I respect every Greek soldier who resisted the invasion of Nazis.

But I think you are exaggerating the effect of Greece on World War II.
alexISS View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2006 at 20:20

I respect every Greek soldier who resisted the invasion of Nazis.

But I think you are exaggerating the effect of Greece on World War II.

(that's a badly derailed topic, but what the heckSmile)

I only posted quotes and none of them came from a Greek. I do believe however that, considering it's resources, Greece did a lot more than the world expected. It's also a fact that Germany was defeated by both the Red Army and the Russian winter, who would not be such a decising factor had Greece surrendered without a fight. Although superpowers were involved in WWII, it was a war won by an inch and because of that every single soldier made a difference. What I'm saying is that the war could also be lost without Yugoslavia's or New Zealand's or even Malta's contribution. It is also worth mentioning that Greece dealt the first allied victory, lifting up hopes and making other nations believe that the axis was not invulnerable after all.

Edited by alexISS - 03-Jun-2006 at 20:23
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2006 at 22:37
Neo
Listen you ignorant fool, you're not going to get away with this Regards (dont take it to heart) thing. When my grandfather was fighting against the Nazis your Turkish grandfather was enjoying his nargile.

Actually he was liberating Europe from the Nazi's, the Turkish part is simply a figment of your paranoid imagination, you really are very paranoidLOL

says the someone that is either a
  1. a confused  british that thinks he's a turk
  2. or nordifed/germanified celtified britishman with a twist of french norman, that uses an alphabet from the romans,

Hey, whose language are we speaking on this forum and all across the internet Big smile

In this world we are the "players" little states ie Greece are the pawns who we install German Kings to rule Wink

You need to fabricate an identity and force yourself to accept it, face it Greeks today can't even be considered of having European culture, your more middle eastern and if the population was to convert in mass to Islam you wouldn't have trouble any trouble living side by side with your so-called enemies Smile

at dunkirk or after? you see greece wasnt an island and had nowhere to run

You  have loads of little islands, common now who you kiddin lol

If it wasn't for the Brittish you'd be hailing to Hitler today, I think we deserve a "thank you"

Greece got knocked sensless by the Nazi's, if it wasn't for people who can back up the talk with action then the Nazi's wouldn't have got defeated.

Your great at the big talk but not so great when it comes to big action LOL

What's that famous Roman quote hmm

"Greeks think, we DO" Big smile 

Regards (and remember guys this is historical "amusement")
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

alexISS View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2006 at 23:08
historical amusement... this should be on topic then
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3319967978568410735
That's what your great empire's been reduced to Bulldog...

Are you one of those who back their talk with action bd? Cause talk is all that's come out of you so far... And don't even dream of judging the greek culture or, even worse, compare it to yours you cocky little brit... Being drunk half your lifetime may be quite amusing (and on topic) but is clearing you out of the puppeteers' list, you have no pawns, you ARE the pawns of whiskey and vodka retailers...

are you amused yet?Smile

Edited by alexISS - 03-Jun-2006 at 23:09
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2006 at 23:14
Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 01:36
LOL alexis and mamikon LOL

Hey, whose language are we speaking on this forum and all across the internet

If I judge from your rich vocabulary which starts from paranoia and ends in paranoid, I guess we are speaking greek lol
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 04:49
Come on...let the kid...he is taunted by his English schoolmates ...we shouldnt hurt him too.
Let's ignore ignorance Smile
Tea time! (even for turkish immigrant kidsLOL)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 37383940>