Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2012 Movie Reveiw

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2012 Movie Reveiw
    Posted: 21-Dec-2012 at 09:58
Perhaps the worst year I can remember for movies, few highlights. This is all my visits to the cinema.

Prometheus

Saw it on the big screen before I read any of the legions of criticism and it was amazing cinematography. It lacks that big screen thingy when you watch the DVD, very rare these days a movie made for the big screen. Also a science fiction film not an action film that happens to be set in space so looking forward to the sequel.

Fright Night

Remake of the 80’s classic. The lead character instead of being a nerd now has the hottest girl in school, which left me wondering how she was ever in school being 25 and looking 30? The movie is long and feels long, Colin Farrell for a change isn’t terrible and actually peaks at so so.

Underworld 4

Underworld 1 was pretty good, Underworld 2 was awful, Underworld 3 was pretty good again, a change of director and we get the shittiest of shit films and it goes and makes the most money of all of the 4 movies, so there will be a 5th. I don’t understand movies.

Avengers

....... Thor’s a God, not an alien.......... Few good things to say about this. The guy who plays Loki is pretty good, but didn’t Thor take him out alone in the previous movie, so why did it take all the avengers this time? Oh, yes I forgot he had generic CGI flying robots this time round....... Thor’s a God, not an alien.......... and lets not forget those seminal scenes, Iron Man repairs a space ship for .......... 20 minutes. Doctor Bruce Banner is now fully in control of the Hulk and Thor who can’t go to earth, whole point of last movie was he can’t go to earth.... then doesn’t bother to visit Natalie Portman while there. I wonder if next Thor film he’s going to be full of angst from being separated from her. And by the way ....... Thor’s a God, not an alien..........

Cabin in the Woods

Being a Joss Whedon fan I was expecting to like this, but unfortunately I’m a Joss Whedon fans so having seen Buffy with the Initiative and Angel with the old Gods and I really didn’t want to see them again badly rehashed as a slasher movie. This is no Serenity.

Battleship

Has the rare distinction of being the first movie I’ve walked out on since Pearl Harbour and I’ve seen some pretty dreadful movies and not walked out in the meantime. No idea how it ends but most likely the mass suicide of the audience.

Batman 3

Chris Nolan is said to be a director you either love or hate, I think his movies are not bad but nothing special. And with Batman fans still jacking off to Heath Ledger posters at risk to my life I enjoyed this movie more than the previous one. The convincingness of the way it portrayed the takeover of the city by a gang of criminals was well done. Also I think Batman’s a bit dull and has a silly costume, fortunately he wasn’t in this movie much. A bit of a sellout over Batman’s death though. 

The Hunger Games

.........It’s just a rip off of Battle Royale.......... the future that fashion forgot and the worst CGI fire ever.........It’s just a rip off of Battle Royale..........  The poor live in 19th century style a poverty but can still afford 25th century style TV’s in each house and the people who run the country haven’t applied any of that advanced technology to the manufacturing process.........It’s just a rip off of Battle Royale.......... despite all this the lead actress wasn’t bad, but she was the only thing in the movie that can be described this way. Also why would anyone rip off Battle Royale and completely remove all the sexiness? Oh yes did I mention.........It’s just a rip off of Battle Royale..........

Iron Sky

The movie I most eagerly awaited this year, I doubted it could be as good as the expectation, and it wasn’t. However it still was pretty good. A definite homage to Dr Stranglove and an utterly astonishing achievement when you realise its budget was $8 million, compare this to Twilight 4 which had $110 million (what did they spend it on?). So nice to see good writing and talent can still beat throwing money at something.

Wrath of the Titans

Dreadful, but I only have myself to blame. I saw part one it was awful, but the trailer to this one looked so good.

Snow White

Great trailer, why am I such a sucker for going to movies with great trailers when I just know they will be crap. It was crap, really dislike the actor who plays Thor, the girl from Twilight is hot but can't act so naturally they concentrated on her ham acting and dressed her down.

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter

Great great title. Fortunately for the movie though it was released in the same year as Battleship so avoids being the worst movie of the year.

A lonely Place to Die

Low budget thriller. Again like Iron Sky looks big budget because of talent. The real find movie of the year, beautiful scenary and photography as a bunch of climbers in the Scottish highland rescue a kidnap victim and have to get her to safety while being hunter by the kidnappers. Sounds banal but riddled with originality throughout.

Edited by Toltec - 21-Dec-2012 at 10:07
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
Azita View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Azita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2012 at 10:48
I did very much enjoy the avengers and  Prometheus. Also skyfall

I don't go to the cinema often and as such tend to very selective.

Was battleship that bad?  oh dear, im gald i didn't see it, but i nearly did just to watch Alexander Skarsgard

2013 looks a good year, world war z, evil dead, iron man, star trek. opps you can see how shallow i am these days.
okamido View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended, tit for tat

Quote okamido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2012 at 20:45

Prometheus

Saw it on the big screen before I read any of the legions of criticism and it was amazing cinematography. It lacks that big screen thingy when you watch the DVD, very rare these days a movie made for the big screen. Also a science fiction film not an action film that happens to be set in space so looking forward to the sequel.

I don't know the issue that people had with this. Other than some poor choices made by the characters, I thought it was a decent sci-fi flick. Like you, I am waiting to see it go further.

Fright Night

Remake of the 80’s classic. The lead character instead of being a nerd now has the hottest girl in school, which left me wondering how she was ever in school being 25 and looking 30? The movie is long and feels long, Colin Farrell for a change isn’t terrible and actually peaks at so so.

Also pleasantly suprised by this.

Underworld 4

Underworld 1 was pretty good, Underworld 2 was awful, Underworld 3 was pretty good again, a change of director and we get the shittiest of shit films and it goes and makes the most money of all of the 4 movies, so there will be a 5th. I don’t understand movies.

Thirty minutes was all I could stand of this. Pure and utter dunnage.

Avengers

....... Thor’s a God, not an alien.......... Few good things to say about this. The guy who plays Loki is pretty good, but didn’t Thor take him out alone in the previous movie, so why did it take all the avengers this time? Oh, yes I forgot he had generic CGI flying robots this time round....... Thor’s a God, not an alien.......... and lets not forget those seminal scenes, Iron Man repairs a space ship for .......... 20 minutes. Doctor Bruce Banner is now fully in control of the Hulk and Thor who can’t go to earth, whole point of last movie was he can’t go to earth.... then doesn’t bother to visit Natalie Portman while there. I wonder if next Thor film he’s going to be full of angst from being separated from her. And by the way ....... Thor’s a God, not an alien..........

Kid's movie. I kind of zoned out till the mindless action took up at the end. The thing with Thor is a little distressing though. It is similar to what happened in the Avenger's cartoon that my kid likes. Thor is not introduced as the God of Thunder, but rather as the Prince of Thunder. Do it right, or don't do it at all......fundamentalists be damned.

Cabin in the Woods

Being a Joss Whedon fan I was expecting to like this, but unfortunately I’m a Joss Whedon fans so having seen Buffy with the Initiative and Angel with the old Gods and I really didn’t want to see them again badly rehashed as a slasher movie. This is no Serenity.

Definately the initiative. I swear that I kept expecting the Scoobies to save the day.......but I still enjoyed it.

Battleship

Has the rare distinction of being the first movie I’ve walked out on since Pearl Harbour and I’ve seen some pretty dreadful movies and not walked out in the meantime. No idea how it ends but most likely the mass suicide of the audience.

Didn't see it...and kind of suprised you gave it a shot.

Batman 3

Chris Nolan is said to be a director you either love or hate, I think his movies are not bad but nothing special. And with Batman fans still jacking off to Heath Ledger posters at risk to my life I enjoyed this movie more than the previous one. The convincingness of the way it portrayed the takeover of the city by a gang of criminals was well done. Also I think Batman’s a bit dull and has a silly costume, fortunately he wasn’t in this movie much. A bit of a sellout over Batman’s death though. 

I am very much of the mind that Wayne is actually dead, and that was just Alfred's wishful dreaming at the end.

The Hunger Games

.........It’s just a rip off of Battle Royale.......... the future that fashion forgot and the worst CGI fire ever.........It’s just a rip off of Battle Royale..........  The poor live in 19th century style a poverty but can still afford 25th century style TV’s in each house and the people who run the country haven’t applied any of that advanced technology to the manufacturing process.........It’s just a rip off of Battle Royale.......... despite all this the lead actress wasn’t bad, but she was the only thing in the movie that can be described this way. Also why would anyone rip off Battle Royale and completely remove all the sexiness? Oh yes did I mention.........It’s just a rip off of Battle Royale..........

Not for one second do I get why this is popular.

Iron Sky

The movie I most eagerly awaited this year, I doubted it could be as good as the expectation, and it wasn’t. However it still was pretty good. A definite homage to Dr Stranglove and an utterly astonishing achievement when you realise its budget was $8 million, compare this to Twilight 4 which had $110 million (what did they spend it on?). So nice to see good writing and talent can still beat throwing money at something.

Didn't see it.

Wrath of the Titans

Dreadful, but I only have myself to blame. I saw part one it was awful, but the trailer to this one looked so good.

My kid enjoyed it, which tells you whom it was marketed towards.

Snow White

Great trailer, why am I such a sucker for going to movies with great trailers when I just know they will be crap. It was crap, really dislike the actor who plays Thor, the girl from Twilight is hot but can't act so naturally they concentrated on her ham acting and dressed her down.

Can't stand the Stewart chick...she is the female Keanu Reeves.

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter

Great great title. Fortunately for the movie though it was released in the same year as Battleship so avoids being the worst movie of the year.

A lonely Place to Die

Low budget thriller. Again like Iron Sky looks big budget because of talent. The real find movie of the year, beautiful scenary and photography as a bunch of climbers in the Scottish highland rescue a kidnap victim and have to get her to safety while being hunter by the kidnappers. Sounds banal but riddled with originality throughout.

Didn't see it.
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2012 at 21:59
Originally posted by okamido

The thing with Thor is a little distressing though. It is similar to what happened in the Avenger's cartoon that my kid likes. Thor is not introduced as the God of Thunder, but rather as the Prince of Thunder. Do it right, or don't do it at all......fundamentalists be damned.

Which fundementalists though? Christians or Atheists? I suppose at last something they can both agree upon. 

Edited by Toltec - 21-Dec-2012 at 21:59

History Planet Website
<br /
okamido View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended, tit for tat

Quote okamido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2012 at 23:37
The old "assume" joke could be made, but I figured it was to appease those religious-Mother's Organizations in my country, as athiests in the United States do not seem to care if someone is practicing Asatru, but put a blonde-haired, blue-eyed, baby Jesus somewhere, and the ish hits the fan.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2012 at 13:14
The Hobbit
A bit long, but first-rate entertainment. Fans of the original book will not be disappointed
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
TITAN_ View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote TITAN_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2012 at 10:44
Originally posted by Nick1986

The Hobbit
A bit long, but first-rate entertainment. Fans of the original book will not be disappointed

I haven't read the book, but the movie was pretty good! 
TITAN_ View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote TITAN_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2012 at 10:49
Does anyone know when 300 - The battle of Artemisia is going to be released? Rumours say it's going to be more fun than the original 300 movie...
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2012 at 12:09
I don't know if anything can be more funny than the original.

History Planet Website
<br /
 Post Reply Post Reply