Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

top unsolved mysteries

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Arthur-Robin View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: top unsolved mysteries
    Posted: 14-Dec-2012 at 20:14

Hello. I would like to get peoples opinions on what the top score or so remaining unsolved mysteries of history and of the present? (That also includes ones that are claimed solved but are disputed or not yet generally accepted/known.) Can either be general/consensus or personal interest.
I once tried to look it up in search engine and wikipedia but couldn't get any good results.
Investigating mysteries is a hobby of mine (which people here probably share since historians are seemingly like that). Having possibly solved Atlantis which takes a big chunk out of history I'm at a bit of a loss as what to do next. (Abit similar to having read all the good detective fiction series and now depressed i can't find any to read (though only counting old free/easy access online ones that copyright has run out as i can't access newer ones.))
Am also interested in anyones comments about if any may have actually been solved.
(Maybe could also list some great solved ones of last decade/s?)

I haven't done a list of my own yet but here are some possible rough examples

places:
where is Atlantis (though may be solved now)

peoples:
who were Hyksos?
Sumerians?

persons:
Proof of Jesus?
Proof of King Arthur?
Cushanrishathaim?

crime, assassinations:
Jack the Ripper

scripts:
Indus Valley script
Easter Island
Phaistos disk linear script

Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2012 at 21:28
Add in another two:

How was Gobekli Tepe built considering they didn't have copper tools?

The Antikythera, the mechanism is usually seen almost as advanced as a 14th clock. How come such a sophisticated equipment was developed so far back and who did it? Archimedes?

Timidi mater non flet
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2012 at 21:59
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Post Reply Post Reply