Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cucumbers in the desert

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cucumbers in the desert
    Posted: 11-Dec-2012 at 11:43
This is amazing: the Arabs have found a way to grow crops in the desert with a solar greenhouse cooled by seawater
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/hi-tech--solar-greenhouse--grows-first-cucumbers-in-sahara-161128309.html
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2012 at 11:52
Desert promises a lot Nick:Highest energy efficiency on earth+technology=Magic.Smile
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2012 at 01:51
Indeed. Excellent work.
Cucumbers can lead to many other crops with the right conditions-soils-natural fertilizers and water. Especially using solar green house tech.

From the link: ''The £3.3m 'greenhouses' which grew the cucumbers took just 10 months to build - and pump salt water up from beneath the ground to cool the facility, using a cooling principle said to be based on a camel's nostril.

No water is allowed to evaporate in the sun's heat - instead, it's recondensed, and used to water the plants.''

Thumbs Up

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2012 at 11:47
Perhaps a modified version of this greenhouse could be used to grow crops on the moon in the future so the human colonists are completely self-sufficient
benzin View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote benzin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2012 at 13:12
That wont be a cheap cucumber... 3.3 mil. pounds. and how much cucumber grows ? 10 tons a year ? thats great because this project will make profit in the late 2100s if there is nothing else to spend on it until that :)
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2012 at 19:35
LOLLOLLOL
Well I appreciate the concerns of profit margin from any good capitalist....this ntl, advances agro-science and real concerns of use, of normally non-arable ground, to produce food for the ever growing pop of the planet.

And yes, the id' of solar enclosed programs, such as this, on the moon and elsewhere in the ss and galaxy has been the basis for much great SF for generations now. And ya know the difference between SF and science? Often times only one inch and a matter of time.Wink
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2012 at 08:53
Even if space colonisation is put on hold for a century, the desert greenhouse has potential as a tool to combat world hunger
benzin View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote benzin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2012 at 19:42
Dream on guys :)
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2012 at 21:25

Well, don't forget that they're not only growing cucumber. They're also producing solar energy on site. Aside from the initial capital cost, if this keeps running on the long run it's pretty cost effective. Been once to Qatar and I can tell you it's hot as hell

Timidi mater non flet
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2012 at 11:14
For a desert nation, solar energy is a wise investment as the oil won't last forever
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2012 at 11:23
Cucumbers?No those are genetically modified batteries that grow under Sahara sun.Growing up they refuel
up to high power.Than export&import will exchange 1 tanker of Sahara cucumbers for 1million tankers of
real cucumbers.LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply