Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Military History

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pauly View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Pauly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Military History
    Posted: 06-May-2005 at 18:07

In 1817 a chap by the name of Bernard O'Higgins fought crack Spanish troops with muskets to bring Chilean Indians Independence. Now I need to ask is what was an Irish man doing in deepest South America risking his neck for the starving gold pots. If anyone has an answer I'd like to know.

Pauly

Too many moments not enough memories
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2005 at 19:41
Bernado O'Higgins was the son of Ambrosio O'Higgins, an Officer from County Sligo, Ireland, who entered Spanish services and became Vice-Roy of Chile.
Bernado, born in Chile, went to study in England, where he became friends with Francisco Miranda, who was one of the leading lights of South-American independence movement.
On his return to Chile, Bernado became an first officer, then commander of the Chilean Independence army and in 1817 first president of the independent Chile.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
 Post Reply Post Reply