Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Maori Wars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Maori Wars
    Posted: 08-Apr-2013 at 19:20
I'm guessing the guy with the shotgun (probably a farmer) is seeking revenge on the Maori who killed his family. Another scene from the trailer (where the Maori scouts do a war dance) reminds me of a revisionist Western
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Jimeous View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Jimeous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2013 at 19:42
Yep I've seen the movie but it's hard to find online now :(

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2013 at 19:07

Jim, have you seen the New Zealand movie Utu? The DVD was never released in the UK, but from youtube trailers it looks great
Jimeous View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Jimeous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2013 at 21:25
New Zealand Wars Documentary.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2012 at 04:38
It's the Treaty of Waitangi and this is the most comprehensive site to get the info you want!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2012 at 19:37

Maori axe used to scalp dead chiefs
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2012 at 07:12
The facial tattoos of Maori warriors look intimidating. Were these applied to every youth who reached manhood, or did they have to be earned through acts of bravery?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2012 at 12:35

Maori war dance
Salah ad-Din View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Salah ad-Din Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2012 at 15:28
Violent contact between the peoples of Europe and New Zealand began in 1642, when a party of Maoris slaughtered members of Abel Tasman's crew. It was a fitting prelude for the next two centuries of New Zealand's history.

New Zealand was a majestic but sparsely-populated set of islands before European colonization began; it was also a noticeably dry environment in terms of its animal inhabitants - its only large predators were its human population. The Maoris were a Polynesian people who had supplanted previous settlers and eaten them. Ritual tattoing, eating the flesh of dead enemies, and chants and dances used to 'psyche' the warriors up before battle were the most readily identifiable traits of their culture.

The Maoris bore some resemblance to the Native tribes of the Americas - they did not understand that selling land to the white man was a permanent exchange, but they did quickly learn to understand the white man's guns. In the wars of the 19th Century, the Maoris respresented a bizarre fusion of cultures - some fought with guns, others with traditional green-stone clubs (patu pounamu); some were tatooed, others were not; some wore western clothing, others still went naked or in loincloths; Christianity, native beliefs, and combinations of the two were all practiced.

Several periods of intense small-scale violence in New Zealand - dubbed 'Maori Wars' by the British - broke in the mid-19th Century (1843-1848; 1863-1866; 1868-1870). These were termed Te Riri Pakeha - the 'White Mans' Anger' - by the Maoris themselves.

In the earlier conflicts, the Maoris attempted to defend their families and possessions from fortifications known as pa. As the British learned to storm these, the nature of the Maori wars changed; it became a brutal bush-war full of ambushes, raid, and counter-raid.

Maori armies were usually small, numbering in the dozens or hundreds; the largest on record in the 1860s numbered around 1500 men. The general term for a warrior was toa but there was no clear distinction of 'soldier' or 'civilian' in their culture; like most tribal peoples the Maoris expected every man, and when defended a pa, even the women, to combat the enemy.

The Maori used a variety of weapons. In the early 19th Century they used antique Napoleonic-era firearms they had acquired from merchants; these were termed ngutu-parera. By the 1860s they had obtained more effective arms, double-barrelled percussion shotguns they called tupara - these were among the most iconic weapons of the Maori Wars. Primitive weaponry included spears (taiaha), halberds (kakauroa), axes (patiti), and edged clubs made of stone or whalebone.

The last of the guerilla-leaders surrendered in 1872, bringing an end to one of the more brutal of Britain's many 19th Century 'small wars'.
 Post Reply Post Reply