Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Byzantine-Sassanid Wars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Byzantine-Sassanid Wars
    Posted: 03-Nov-2012 at 21:55

If we look at all the wars fought between the two great empires, which war was the most devastating for the Byzantines?

Timidi mater non flet
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2012 at 03:42
For both sides the most devastating wars happened during the reigns of Heraclius and Khosrau II, it can be said in the early 7th century both Byzantines and Sassanids experienced their worst defeat from each other.
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2012 at 09:01
A little article I wrote on the final Byzantine/Persian War which seems to have been the most devastating for both sides.

Edited by Toltec - 04-Nov-2012 at 09:01
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2012 at 12:58
Byzantine defeats against the Sassanids began from the Battle of Callinicum in 513 and continued until capturing Egypt in 616 (from Kavadh I  to Khosrau II), Persians were at the height of their power during the reign of Khosrau I (Anushirwan), this Sassanid king not only defeated Byzantines in some battles and captured the important city of Antioch, but also expanded the Persian empire by defeating the Hephthalite in the east and Ethiopians in the south.
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2012 at 16:53
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Byzantine defeats against the Sassanids began from the Battle of Callinicum in 513 and continued until capturing Egypt in 616 (from Kavadh I  to Khosrau II), Persians were at the height of their power during the reign of Khosrau I (Anushirwan), this Sassanid king not only defeated Byzantines in some battles and captured the important city of Antioch, but also expanded the Persian empire by defeating the Hephthalite in the east and Ethiopians in the south.

Is it true Cyrus that they even expanded towards Anatolia, threatening Constantinople itself?

Timidi mater non flet
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2012 at 00:40
Originally posted by Baal Melqart

Is it true Cyrus that they even expanded towards Anatolia, threatening Constantinople itself?

Yes, during the reign of Khosrau II, the great Persian general Shahin Vahmanzadegan did it.
 Post Reply Post Reply