Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anxiety high as super storm Sandy draws near East

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anxiety high as super storm Sandy draws near East
    Posted: 27-Oct-2012 at 01:05
Well now is good time for my old pard Red to head fer the gawddamn high ground. As no one knows where this will hit or the expected surge damage. Full moon on top of it? Not good.

Be wary ole dog be wary.Wink

And now you know why I don't live near the coast.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2012 at 10:11
Full Moon high tide, and the Election.  So we get both flooding, and extreme wind damage too.Big smile 
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2012 at 13:27
The pucker factor just went up by 10.  All 3 main computer models now agree, we is in the crosshairs.Big smile
As of now anyway, Southern NJ is smack in the center of the bullseye.  Gov.  just declared a state of emergency, all of the Barrier Islands are being evacuated, including AC. 

The flooding won't effect us much.  The flood plain here is wide enough to handle it.  If the river got to my property, the whole damn valley would be under.  10 miles upstream is a different story.

The main concern here is wind damage and power outages.  I've got to go change the oil in the gen. and go pick up an xtra saw chain.  Other than that, we're ready.

I really think this whole thing is being sponsored by Loews and the Home Depot.  Big smile Nothing like the threat of a good storm to boost lagging sales.

Edited by red clay - 28-Oct-2012 at 09:58
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2012 at 10:27
As this storm developes it's becoming apparent that this is no ordinary Hurricane.  This is turning into a "Hybrid Nor'Easter".  I've ridden out 2 of them in my life.  This is already a larger and more violent storm than any before it.  It doesn't look like a hurricane on radar, but the low pressure that's driving it just dropped more.
They just announced the shutdown of the NYC and NJ transit systems tonight.  The only other time this happened was last year with "Irene".  The center of the storm is still 500 mi off shore and is already producing a storm surge 1 foot higher than Irene at it's peak.

If anyone out there is in it's way, take this storm very seriously.  If your in a coastal area and the authorities tell you to evacuate, do it.  This is not your ordinary hurricane.  Having experienced this type of storm, I can tell you it's much more dangerous, if for no other reason than it's size.

Unknown.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2012 at 13:05
The ghosts in the Dura will be chanting for the well being of all on the coast. Get an extra quart for medicinal purposes of course. Wink

And stay out of the gawdamn wind.

S. T. Friedman

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2012 at 12:02
The storm still hasn't made landfall.  We are still directly in it's path.  If anyone here is familiar with Atlantic City, The Inlet area is gone!  The Boardwalk at the North end is history, and the storm hasn't landed yet.  It's still 12 hours away.

People ignored the Govs. warning and have stayed on the Barrier Islands, bad move.  Most of the Islands only have one way on or off, and those routes are under water already.

Most of those "Islands" are really only "Sandbars".  Long Beach Island has been cut through at the North End already.  I lived on LBI, it is not the place to be in any storm, let alone something like this.
The Gov. finally said something I agree with, "To try and ride this storm out on one of the Barrier Islands, is just plain stupid".  Of course, you always have idiots who decide to stay, and are the first to yell for help and risk not only their lives, but those of the folks that have to go rescue them.

I just saw the folks who live behind us, leaving with their SUV loaded down.  There is only one house behind us and it's only 100 ft from the river.  Right now it's low tide, by 4 PM you won't be able to get to their house.

Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2012 at 12:12
I just saw the latest weather report, the center of the storm has dropped to 9.42 mb.  Making it the most powerful and dangerous storm since 1938. [Which killed 600 folks]  Landfall is now estimated to happen between 6 and 8 PM. 
Unknown.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2012 at 12:22
Duck. And cover.

'' Taa Ahpu tomoba?atu, nansuwukaitu u nahnia.
U tekwapuha pitaruibe siku sokoba?a tomoba?atu nakwu waitusu.
Numi maaka ukiitsi tabeni numu tuhkarui.
Nu tusuuna aiku numu hanipukatu. Numi tusuuna.
Keta aituku numi muhneetu. Aitukutu numi taakonin/tsaakuan.
Taa Ahpu nansuwukai suana.
Suni yutui o.''

S. T. Friedman

okamido View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended, tit for tat

Quote okamido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2012 at 13:47
Out in California, I only have to fear falling in the ocean once. Back east, you guys have to worry about the ocean coming up and swallowing the coast...every single year.

Good luck and I hope everyone going through it makes it out in one piece and with very little property damge.
BoPoMoFo View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote BoPoMoFo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2012 at 19:39
Yeah, it strikes me as odd how the Pacific Coast doesn't get Typhoons like Asian countries do.
okamido View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended, tit for tat

Quote okamido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2012 at 00:32
Originally posted by BoPoMoFo

Yeah, it strikes me as odd how the Pacific Coast doesn't get Typhoons like Asian countries do.
Shut it! You'll jinx us!! LOL
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2012 at 16:13
You bet! I wouldn't wish something like this on anyone.

We made it! The storm didn't hit us until late last nite.  We didn't have any damage, for once ! But the house across the street lost it's roof.  Trees down, roads blocked etc.  The Jersey Shore got blasted.  If any one had plans to get to Atlantic City, how about Vegas instead? Big smile  It's going to be months before they can recover.

Unknown.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2012 at 16:40
Save the quart.....lol.

S. T. Friedman

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2012 at 17:09
I'm going to send it to NYC. Tongue NYC is closed.  And will be until Sat.  The scope of damage on the E Coast is unimaginable. 
At least we don't have to shovel snow like the folks in West Va.
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2012 at 17:35
Catch ABC National news,  They are doing a special hour long news prog. on just this storm.  You cannot imagine, nor can I describe the damage.
Unknown.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2012 at 19:39
The ghosts of the Llano and Dura now rest....in the morning look southwest.... and throw some tobacco into the wind. Say these words: ''Ta-a'pah I thank you for the prayers of my brothers.''

They will smile.

And remember you the next time.Wink

S. T. Friedman

Post Reply Post Reply