Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1911 - The Movie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1911 - The Movie
    Posted: 24-Oct-2012 at 06:49
A new Jackie Chan film has been released focusing on the 1911 Chinese revolution. I haven't watched the DVD yet, but if the trailer's anything to go by, this film could rival Shaolin
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
longbaby View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote longbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2012 at 00:48
I didn't see the movie either, but I guess it would involve much romance lol. This is the modern fashion of dealing with the history.

Jackie Chan would play the role of Huang Xin, the chief-in-command in October 10th uprising.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2012 at 09:43
I hope we get to see Jackie's kung-fu skills again in addition to the gunfights in the trailer
longbaby View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote longbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2012 at 23:15
Well I don' like Jackie movies so much. His hilarious way of presenting Chinese kungfu is not good in my opinion. Jet Lee is better.
What impresses me most about 1911 revolution is a slogan by Sun Yat-san and other revolutionaries, which is "to expel the Tatar barbarians, to revive Zhonghua". I know they had this slogan in order to awaken common people to revolutionary spirit, but to call Manchiu people, the then rulers in China, Tartar barbarians and want to expel them is certainly stupid. A modern revolution shouldn't be guided by such a slogan. Revolutionaries should unite as many people as possible and Manchiu people are also a part of Chinese.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2012 at 16:46

I enjoyed Jackie's other recent movie Shaolin. It is set in the warlord period and has a more serious tone than his early films like Drunken Master or Cooks and Kungfu
BoPoMoFo View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote BoPoMoFo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2012 at 21:45
They need a focus to revolt against.  And there was no better one than the Manchu people.  They were foreign (if need to be).  They exploited the Han majority (by taking advantage of the system).  They had massacred Hans.  And (fair or not) they were responsible for the state of the country.  Finally, Manchus symbolized the imperial system.  The emperor was Manchua, and so were most of his supporters.
BoPoMoFo View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote BoPoMoFo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2012 at 21:47
All in all, 1911 was a horrible movie that wasn't even shown in Taiwan, the Republic of China that the 1911 revolution was about.  The acting was bad, the plot was corny, and most of it seem to come out without much of thoughts.
BoPoMoFo View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote BoPoMoFo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2012 at 22:12
No, the October 10th uprising had little to do with Sun Yat Sen or Huang Xin.  It wasn't even planned.  The Qing New Army in Wuchang had many Revolutionaries in it, and one day, their secret was to be disclosed.  And these Revolutionaries were forced to start the uprising to save themselves.
longbaby View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote longbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2012 at 04:49
I saw the movie yesterday. Seems to me simply a propaganda film. And Jackie Chan didn't play Kungfu in it.

Jackie Chan has got old and his physical condition is not up to some difficult moves. I guess he will act less in action movies from now.

Since the Founding of a Republic and Beginning of the Great Revival, the propaganda movies by mainland China involved more and more Hongkong and Taiwan actors. Oops
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2012 at 07:18
Originally posted by longbaby

I saw the movie yesterday. Seems to me simply a propaganda film. And Jackie Chan didn't play Kungfu in it.

Jackie Chan has got old and his physical condition is not up to some difficult moves. I guess he will act less in action movies from now.

Since the Founding of a Republic and Beginning of the Great Revival, the propaganda movies by mainland China involved more and more Hongkong and Taiwan actors. Oops

It's disappointing Jackie didn't play kungfu, but the gunfights in the trailer looked good. I'll buy the DVD and post a review in the film critics' topic:
http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30643&PN=1
longbaby View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote longbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2012 at 02:41
Originally posted by BoPoMoFo

They need a focus to revolt against.  And there was no better one than the Manchu people.  They were foreign (if need to be).  They exploited the Han majority (by taking advantage of the system).  They had massacred Hans.  And (fair or not) they were responsible for the state of the country.  Finally, Manchus symbolized the imperial system.  The emperor was Manchua, and so were most of his supporters.

In fact, there were two attitudes toward Manchu people among revolutionaries: radical and moderate. The most passionate statement from the revolutionay point of view was made by Zou Rong and his mentor, Zhang Binglin. In Revolutinaary Army, Zou wrote,

When men love their race, solidarity will arise internally, and what is outside will be repelled. Hence, to begin with, clans were united and other clans repelled; next tribes were united and other tribes expelled, finally the people of a country became united and people of other countries were repelled. This is the general principle of the races of the world, and also a major reason why races engender history... China is the China of the Chinese. Countrymen, you must all recognize the China of the Chinese of the Han race.

Sun Yat-sen was a moderate in this regard. Althoug he and his comrades put up the slogan of "expelling Manchu barbarians", they didn't take it that seriously. After the Republic was established in 1912 and Han dominance asserted, the revolutionaries agreed to a Republic of Five Nationlities (inclucing Manchu people) and settled on the appellation zhonghua minzu (the Chinese nationality) for the nation. The national flag also featured five colour, signifying the Five Nationities.

Edited by longbaby - 07-Nov-2012 at 02:43
heyamigos View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote heyamigos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2012 at 03:47
Dr. Sun Yat-sen's last words in 1927:

"Peace, struggle, save China."

The revolution began in 1911.  Its ultimate goals have yet to be achieved to this day. (3 people's livelihoods for all Chinese)
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2012 at 08:17
Some of its goals have been achieved: China has now modernised and is undergoing slow transition from dictatorship to greater freedom
longbaby View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote longbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2012 at 05:05
Originally posted by longbaby

[QUOTE=BoPoMoFo]

Sun Yat-sen was a moderate in this regard. Althoug he and his comrades put up the slogan of "expelling Manchu barbarians", they didn't take it that seriously. After the Republic was established in 1912 and Han dominance asserted, the revolutionaries agreed to a Republic of Five Nationlities (inclucing Manchu people) and settled on the appellation zhonghua minzu (the Chinese nationality) for the nation. The national flag also featured five colour, signifying the Five Nationities.

In fact Sun Yat-sen's ideas about nationalities changed a little after the founding of the republic. First he seeked to build a republic based on the peace and harmony of 5 nationalities. But afterward he decided to assert Han as the major ethnic and have other nationalities Han-ized.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2012 at 07:49
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/46/Flag_of_the_Republic_of_China_1912-1928.svg/800px-Flag_of_the_Republic_of_China_1912-1928.svg.png
Is that the reason the Chinese flag was originally five colors before changing to white, red and blue?
longbaby View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote longbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2012 at 03:40
Seems Sun Yat-sen didn't believe in the Republic of Five Nationalities in heart. He only took it as a temporary measure to reassure and pacify Manchu and Mongol aristocrats. The constituitionalist party, which was actually in power in the early time of the Republic, supported the harmony of five nationalities and gave a favourable treatment to the abdicated Qing emperor (in the abdication edict the emperor advocated the harmony of nationalities still). Finally Fen Yuxiang, a north-west warlord, expelled the emperor from the Forbidden City in 1927, which signaled GMD's eventual abandoning of Five Nationalities harmony.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2012 at 07:52
Which nationality does each color of the flag symbolise Longbaby?
longbaby View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote longbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2012 at 19:37
Originally posted by Nick1986

Which nationality does each color of the flag symbolise Longbaby?

Red-- Han,   Yellow-- Manchu,    Blue-- Mongol,   White-- Hui (Muslims), Black--Tibetan
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2012 at 21:51
I saw the movie on an aircraft and somewhat enjoyed it. In summary: Sun Yat Sen in coming for some important meeting, the Manchu secret police are looking to kill him, and the various revolutionary bands have to unite to put a security system in place to protect him from the assassins.  The street battles related to getting Dr. Sun out of danger did remind me of Kung Fu movies.

I liked it for the background scenery, and at least there were none of those phony "No Chinese or Dogs Allowed"  signs around westerners.
Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì
BoPoMoFo View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote BoPoMoFo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2012 at 01:32
Originally posted by lirelou

I saw the movie on an aircraft and somewhat enjoyed it. In summary: Sun Yat Sen in coming for some important meeting, the Manchu secret police are looking to kill him, and the various revolutionary bands have to unite to put a security system in place to protect him from the assassins.  The street battles related to getting Dr. Sun out of danger did remind me of Kung Fu movies.

I liked it for the background scenery, and at least there were none of those phony "No Chinese or Dogs Allowed"  signs around westerners.

No, that's a different movie.  What you saw was 十月圍城, not the propagandist 辛亥革命, which might explain why you found it somewhat enjoyable.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>