Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Charles II - the Merry Monarch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Salah ad-Din View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Salah ad-Din Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Charles II - the Merry Monarch
    Posted: 20-Oct-2012 at 23:41
What can be said of the reign and character of Britain's King Charles II, the 'Merry Monarch'? How did he become such a popular ruler, and what is his historical legacy?
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2012 at 06:14
Simply put he didn't become a popular monarch. 

He was king between the English Revolution and the Glorious Revolution and unlike his father and brother managed to keep the crown. This was largely because he unlike them was a pragmatist, an intelligent schemer and didn't have a suicidal hubris that allowed him when beaten to submit to parliament and chalk it up to experience for the next clash.
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2012 at 07:07
Charles was smart and knew he needed to foster good relations with the people. During the Great Fire of London he gave a bag of gold to the firefighters. He also pretended to be a good Anglican, when in reality he was a Catholic
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2012 at 09:10
Another notable thing about Charles II: it was during his reign coins were first mass-produced rather than hammer-struck. I own a half-penny similar to this one, but more badly worn
http://coinsgalore.co.uk/bmz_cache/6/6461614e57b4fbdf48a4d2256cd256fb.image.360x174.jpg
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2012 at 10:22
Originally posted by Toltec

Simply put he didn't become a popular monarch. 

He was king between the English Revolution and the Glorious Revolution and unlike his father and brother managed to keep the crown. This was largely because he unlike them was a pragmatist, an intelligent schemer and didn't have a suicidal hubris that allowed him when beaten to submit to parliament and chalk it up to experience for the next clash.

I agree and would add that He ntl would claim credit for lower taxes.... reducing the size of the standing army....was proactive in the questions of religious tolerance and supported the return of the very popular social entertainment programs like the theater. And, all in all, was fairly benevolent when it came to seeking revenge against the perpetrators of his father's regicide. This is the usual view. Most sources I have ever looked at considered him as popular. otoh...Toltec's point has veracity as others would disagree and state it was all facade.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2012 at 11:31
Wasn't Charles more interested in chasing girls than managing state affairs, unlike his brother who tried to force the Anglican church to become more Catholic?
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2012 at 14:37
Twas probably cover....and possibly his French heritage. ntl...he could have claimed that which I id' above.

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2012 at 06:55
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2012 at 09:40
Charles tried to create a personality cult by claiming to have the power to heal by touch. Every scrofula patient was given a gold coin, but many were trampled to death in their rush to get to the king
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2012 at 21:00
Life is still tough Nick...which is why they probably and for security of the noble person did away with the practice. Otoh, if your ever given a private audience...'kissing the ring of the Pope' had similar connotations.

And for many Hispanic Catholics still does.

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2012 at 07:22
LeopoldPhilippe View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote LeopoldPhilippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2015 at 20:45
King Charles II was a lover of sports.    
Before the English Restoration, when he was crowned King by the Scots at Scone in 1651, he rounded off the celebrations by playing a round of golf.      
He also pioneered yachting in England.      
At Newmarket in Suffolk Charles was a frequent visitor to the racecourse.       
He rode his own stallion, Old Rowley, in races on the heath.
Baron
Baron

Quote LeopoldPhilippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2015 at 21:32
Charles II received a small racing yacht, the Mary, from the City of Amsterdam as a present to mark the Restoration.    
He then designed a larger version that was christened the Jamie. On October 1, 1661 he raced the Jamie against his brother, Prince James, sailing a Dutch yacht called the Bezan from Greenwich to Gravesend and back again.     
Charles's Jamie won by a distance of 3 miles.
Baron
Baron

Quote LeopoldPhilippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2015 at 20:12
Soon after the death of Oliver Cromwell, Charles was welcomed back to England and he seized the opportunity to express his point of view by a Declaration in which he promised "liberty of conscience" to all Christians and demanded punishment for his father's murderers.    
This Declaration of Breda was signed on April 4, 1660.
 Post Reply Post Reply