Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Battle of Adowa

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Salah ad-Din View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Salah ad-Din Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Battle of Adowa
    Posted: 20-Oct-2012 at 23:33
I just finished reading a book about the Battle of Adowa. On March 1st of 1896, an Italian army commanded by Major-General Oreste Baratieri was defeated and mostly destroyed in Ethiopia, by a force commanded by the Negus Negasti Menelik II.

Though not as one-sided as some other colonial campaigns in Africa - most of the Ethiopians had some manner of firearms, and the Ethiopians also fielded artillery - this was still a spectacular under-dog victory considering the loosely-organized and impetuous nature of Menelik's wariors, most of whom felt greatly loyalty to their various ras than to the Emperor himself.

I'm surprised this battle hasn't received more attention in popular culture - it would make a good movie! Apparently at the time it led many to reappraise their views of black Africans, and some members of the trans-Atlantic African Diaspora took heart from the continuing liberty of the Ethiopians.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2012 at 07:15
Is it true that a lot of the Ethiopians were armed only with spears? I can imagine a movie similar to the 300 Spartans, Lion of the Desert and Zulu DawnThumbs Up
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2012 at 11:44
Can you tell us how many soldiers each side fielded? It's funny but I feel like this must go back to the history of bad tacticians their Roman ancestors had.
Timidi mater non flet
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2012 at 11:29
Hard to say. This website says it was two whole "armies" but doesn't give the exact number
http://www.battleofadwa.org/_text/book.html
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2012 at 07:07
The Italian forces were heavily outnumbered at Adowa: 17,000 men against 100000 Africans, 80000 of whom were armed with rifles. The Ethiopians also had 40 cannons
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2012 at 07:20
The Ethiopians also had excellent cavalry and an elite royal guard with better weapons
 Post Reply Post Reply