Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Northern Iran c. 1850

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kasubi View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kasubi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Northern Iran c. 1850
    Posted: 14-Oct-2012 at 14:52
Hello,

I've just introduced myself. I'm a writer embarking on a new novel, currently stubbing my toe (repeatedly) against the doorstep of accurate research.

I'm desperately seeking someone with a firm grasp on Northern Iranian History c.1850, who wouldn't mind answering a few (quite a few) silly questions. I'm particularly looking at women's social status, customs of the ruling class (Qajar Dynasty?) and the Baha'i conflict.

It's proving quite difficult getting the information I need from academic channels, books, and, surprisingly, Google. Help with either/or/any of those areas would be much appreciated. Please do drop me a line via my profile if you have the time and inclination.

M.
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2012 at 02:53
What do you mean by Northern Iran? It is important to mention that in the Qajar period some major parts of northeastern and northwestern Iran were captured by Russians.
Kasubi View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Kasubi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2012 at 06:41
Specifically Mazandaran. I've got Society, Politics and Economics in Mazandaran, Iran 1848-1914 by Kazembeyki, but it doesn't quite answer everything. Good on the geographical nature of the area, not quite so for the day-to-day and social customs I'm after. Naturally, the politics of Iran as a whole will be important, too. I'm not looking to write an historical thesis, but I do need to get my facts right. Hoping to find someone who can look over my shoulder and prevent me from making any horrific gashes. :)
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2012 at 10:38

I think the Bahai were viewed as heretics by the other Muslims, though i know little about their beleifs

Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2012 at 14:00

If you know the Persian language then you can easily find some good books about Mazandaran from the same period, of course there can be the English translation of them too, I think the best one is this one: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Naser_al-Din_Shah_visit_to_Mazandaran.JPG

Safarnameh (Travel Book) of Naser al-Din Shah Qajar (r. 1848–1896) visit to Mazandaran

There seem to be some good related books, like this one: http://books.google.com/books?id=__ttAAAAMAAJ (Travel impressions of Mazandaran, northern province of Iran, by a 19th century government official and writer; includes his eye witness account of constitutional movement in Iran in early 1920s.)
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2012 at 14:05
Originally posted by Kasubi

Specifically Mazandaran I've got Society, Politics and Economics in Mazandaran, Iran 1848-1914 by Kazembeyki, but it doesn't quite answer everything. Good on the geographical nature of the area, not quite so for the day-to-day and social customs I'm after. Naturally, the politics of Iran as a whole will be important, too. I'm not looking to write an historical thesis, but I do need to get my facts right. Hoping to find someone who can look over my shoulder and prevent me from making any horrific gashes. :)

Find a college/uni professor who teaches creative writing that is willing to volunteer. Go to a publisher and see if there are any literary agents willing to do the same. As for research. Best done by the individual as this promotes the integrity of the work and avoids potential charges of plagiarism and collaboration denial....and repetitive effort. Nor necessarily is the quality or veracity of others doing research guaranteed.

CV
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Kasubi View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Kasubi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2012 at 15:26
Thank you all for your suggestions.
 Post Reply Post Reply