Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Romney is right on Syria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Romney is right on Syria
    Posted: 10-Oct-2012 at 01:44

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/foreign-policy/260933-romney-is-right-on-syria

I like this quote: "Dr. Rev. Martin Luther King said we remember the silence of our friends far more than the words of our enemies." and also this one from a Syrian woman: "When we control Syria, we won’t forget that you forgot us." I really hope Romney becomes president, however it is possible he also forgets what he already says!

Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2012 at 01:58
Yup he's right but so were others 33 years ago. Me included.

Alas the world remains full of damn fools and or appeasers. And they...right now...are in charge.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2012 at 08:54
Better a known, than an unknown.  Romney is an unknown, and he's running for office.  Which means he'll say anything he has to, in order to get attention.  And he's also a Republican, we're still fighting, and paying for the war they got us into the last time they were in power. As a nation we no longer have the economic resources we once had that allowed us to get involved in everyone elses problems.

We are also dealing with the economic disaster that was created by them.  Considering they blame all of this on everyone and everything but themselves, I don't think "clueless" is a good presidential attribute.
When it comes to the phrase "damn fools", the one thing that springs to mind is a Texas Cowboy in a flight suit,  standing on a carrier deck, announcing "mission accomplished".

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2012 at 09:09
Just in case my memory fails, or I should weaken in my own beliefs, I keep a framed photo of our son, saying goodbye to his son, the day he shipped out for Iraq, 2003.  Something like that has a tendency to keep you "focused".

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2012 at 12:37
Originally posted by red clay

Just in case my memory fails, or I should weaken in my own beliefs, I keep a framed photo of our son, saying goodbye to his son, the day he shipped out for Iraq, 2003.  Something like that has a tendency to keep you "focused".

Commendable.

I also have had that experience in dealing with numerous relatives in 96. 03. 05. 06. 08. 10.
That 'lump in your throat pride' at their service and love for them, then and now...as well as for their brothers and sisters in arms, American or allies, still will not interfere with my ability to vote out the damn fools and appeasers currently in charge of American foreign policy.

I owe them that.

To do less, no matter whom one supports politically, is for cowards.

See ya at the polls ole dog.LOL

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 10-Oct-2012 at 12:39

S. T. Friedman

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2012 at 14:08
Red, no one likes the war and we know about the consequences of the war but some wars are really unavoidable, if Iran didn't support Syria, Assad's regime would fall several months ago, this support is not because Iranian leaders love Mr. Assad but they want to keep their power in the region, they have several times said that their main enemy is the US, of course Obama and other American presidents can easily ignore this thing and hope that the problem is solved without the American involvement but as Romeny said "Hope is not a strategy".
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2012 at 15:15
Coming from Romney that's an interesting quote, considering Hope is all he really has.

Considering that hating the US is a favorite pastime of many, and it's easy to gather folks to your side by calling the US the "great satan", I wouldn't expect anything else from a bunch of quasi religious politicos desperate to maintain power.  However,  War with the US is the last thing the Mullahs want.  If by some chance that actually did happen there isn't enough toilet paper in the world to handle their reaction. 
You just stated exactly why they don't want a war, power.  If they wish to keep what they have they certainly don't want the proverbial 5,000 lb gorilla on their door step. [or a 56 ton M1A1]  Wink

And what makes you think we aren't already involved? Don't want a parade if your going in the back door.

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2012 at 16:35

Coming from Romney that's an interesting quote, considering Hope is all he really has.

Considering that hating the US is a favorite pastime of many, and it's easy to gather folks to your side by calling the US the "great satan", I wouldn't expect anything else from a bunch of quasi religious politicos desperate to maintain power.  However,  War with the US is the last thing the Mullahs want.

Nonsense ole chummy.Wink They already got it in Astan and Iraq, Syria and Lebanon and Yemen, Libya and Palestine. Where they actively support the opposition to US and or Israeli FP and or their allies. And directly aid the insurgents to kill US forces or allies in direct theater ops cases. Have been doing this since 79. If your waiting for a 'declaration' in the former traditional sense....don't bother. That's merely naive. And or an attitude based on wishful thinking....or 'hope'. None as noted... are successful techniques in either declared or undeclared mil ops. 

If by some chance that actually did happen there isn't enough toilet paper in the world to handle their reaction. 

That's simply because in the case of Iran it's never been prosecuted directly but rather strategically, indirectly viz containment around their borders.

You just stated exactly why they don't want a war, power.  If they wish to keep what they have they certainly don't want the proverbial 5,000 lb gorilla on their door step. [or a 56 ton M1A1]  Wink

They are not afraid of direct intervention viz massive conventional land ops; as even I recognize the complexity and potential log requirements-obstacles of a sustained effort. Why? Not because of the log challenge or axis of advance along multiple routes to include sea-borne... but because neither the US public nor the Russians and PRC would stand by idly.

And what makes you think we aren't already involved? Don't want a parade if your going in the back door.

Oh we are.....LOL we are.

And for you naysayers and non-committal types out there.....my ole friend and I snipe and bitch a little at one another on this issue....but both of us are deadly serious about the situation and the threat.
And both of us respect one another's convictions and opinions....agree or not. Neither of us want to see any more then necessary any more good men and women go into harms way or see the effects especially the 'after' of combat. Ntl....'to fear a fight is already admission of defeat'.

S. T. Friedman

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2012 at 17:02
Of course in the current situation the Mullahs never want to fight against the US, maybe for this reason they wish that Obama becomes again president and they easily gain the nuclear weapons, it is certainly better for them now that they continue supporting anti-american governments and various terrorist groups around the world, it is clear a nuclear-armed Iran can be more aggressive in the future, however I again doubt that they will go alone for war against the US.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2012 at 21:47
Never under estimate anyone who holds the office of President of the US. Particularly in a situation such as this.  It's much more than one man involved, and it's a much more complex process, esp. when the Senate leadership has to be made aware of what's going on.

Also, and even CV will have to agree here, The man does not make the office of President, the office makes the man.
If the Mullahs are openly supporting Obama, it's because they think this will affect the outcome of the election.  Romney has zero experience in Foreign Affairs, [having friends in Canada doesn't make itBig smile]  and most neocons don't actively support Israel.  They also may be thinking over the Bin Laden affair.  There are many reasons for them to want someone else in office other than Obama.

Edited by red clay - 10-Oct-2012 at 21:51
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2012 at 22:26

And for you naysayers and non-committal types out there.....my ole friend and I snipe and bitch a little at one another on this issue....but both of us are deadly serious about the situation and the threat.
And both of us respect one another's convictions and opinions....agree or not. Neither of us want to see any more then necessary any more good men and women go into harms way or see the effects especially the 'after' of combat. Ntl....'to fear a fight is already admission of defeat'.

A solid 2nd to the above, I've never been accused of being afraid of a fight, of any nature, however I'll add an additional quote- "Given a choice between War and being able to avoid it in an Honorable and intelligent manner, anyone who would choose war, is an unknowing fool, and a damned dangerous one as well".  Francis Neidel, USMC, 1st Marine EF, 1918  

How the hell do you turn this blue stuff off.Big smile

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2012 at 23:22

Never under estimate anyone who holds the office of President of the US. Particularly in a situation such as this.  It's much more than one man involved, and it's a much more complex process, esp. when the Senate leadership has to be made aware of what's going on.

Also, and even CV will have to agree here, The man does not make the office of President, the office makes the man.

Amen.Wink

If the Mullahs are openly supporting Obama, it's because they think this will affect the outcome of the election.

Yupper...based on their believed perception of his weakness in dealing with the Islamic Nations and US relationships. Past or present. And the past are not his fault. But without question, they perceive him as a weakling and novice in ME affairs. He continues to be recognized as an apologist and appeaser and they continue to use this to their advantage.

Romney has zero experience in Foreign Affairs, [having friends in Canada doesn't make itBig smile]  and most neocons don't actively support Israel.  They also may be thinking over the Bin Laden affair.  There are many reasons for them to want someone else in office other than Obama.

This is apt and quite possibly accurate....but what the Iranian's don't want is a return to relationships brought on by the Reagan era. Like the former Sovs they lost in that fight. And they know and remember it.Wink

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2012 at 07:56
Arming insurgents is dangerous and stupid. They will probably turn on you, as Bin Laden did, as soon as they've replaced Assad with a new Islamist dictator. It's best to stay out of it and let the two sides kill each other
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2012 at 10:45
Originally posted by Nick1986

Arming insurgents is dangerous and stupid. They will probably turn on you, as Bin Laden did, as soon as they've replaced Assad with a new Islamist dictator. It's best to stay out of it and let the two sides kill each other

Unfortunately, wishful thinking.  Nick, if it were that simple, I would personally donate money to buy ammo for them, as would many others.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2012 at 13:00

Originally posted by Nick1986

Unfortunately, wishful thinking.  Nick, if it were that simple, I would personally donate money to buy ammo for them, as would many others.

True, staying on the side of things never really works because one of the sides is bound to do something against your interest.

But, say the NATO or US intervene in Syria... What happens then? Would Russia react? What would be the situation with Iran then?
Timidi mater non flet
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2012 at 16:07

If the Mullahs are openly supporting Obama, it's because they think this will affect the outcome of the election.  Romney has zero experience in Foreign Affairs, [having friends in Canada doesn't make itBig smile]  and most neocons don't actively support Israel.  They also may be thinking over the Bin Laden affair.  There are many reasons for them to want someone else in office other than Obama.

The weakness of Obama on foreign policy is an deniable thing, it can be true to say it is the Senate which decides but the problem is that the current president has not enough self-authority to perform, a president of the US should have inner strength and courage, as I see Romney says almost the same things, for example about the sanctions against Iran or supporting the rebels in Syria, but he also talks about the red line and many other things that Obama never dares to talk about them.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2012 at 22:52
You are seriously misjudging him.  If the Mullahs are doing the same, and I believe they are, that's as serious a mistake as Kruschev made with Kennedy.  
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2012 at 08:25
If the US wants to arm insurgents, they should aid the Iranians seeking to overthrow the Islamists as this would put a stop to the nuclear program
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2012 at 12:12
It's not so much overthrowing as realigning from fondo to more secular attitudes.....and that involves a bloodbath with insurgents now totally repressed and the IRGC who has the modern equipment and initially the numbers to quell most anything. This would be a long process....multi-year and there would have to be a haven for movement back and forth into the ops area. The only legit region is eastern Turkey and ya already know what's there.

The only counter or addition to this would be a containment of ports and destruction of infrastructure to the point that the IRGC leadership feels the heat to get rid of the Mullahs. That's dicey cuz their freaking wackos as well. Consequently internally to the IRGC there would be required a Coup of younger officers. Not likely.

Tricky shit that revolution and rebuilding of nation states...for one never knows where it goes no matter the quality of intel and precedence.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 12-Oct-2012 at 12:13

S. T. Friedman

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2012 at 14:35
Personally, I think we should give em all tactical nukes, no long range stuff.  Give them some of the toys we no longer deploy, like the Atomic Rifle,  and let them go at it.  What the hell, oil is still useable if it's radioactive, and we can grow Pistachios and Cashews elsewhere.Big smile Just think of the benefits, Turkey and the Balkans wouldn't need streetlights, you could navigate by the glow.  The savings in energy would be incredible.
After about 10 years, you could turn the area into a "Nuke Zoo and Botanical Garden" with all of the mutations, scientists could study it for decades. ApproveBig smile  And it would be.........so quiet.Wink

Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>