Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bulgarian queen Maria

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bulgarian queen Maria
    Posted: 02-Oct-2012 at 06:52

Hi to everyone!

I’ve been missing for a while, actually very long while… Now I would try to return to this forum..

Well I know that most of you don’t know anything about Bulgaria, may be only its capital and some bad things from the news but this is another theme! I would like to represent you some of the queens of Bulgaria, not because they did great things, but because  in every one medieval society on the foreground were men. Some of the Bulgarian queens stayed in our history and they deserve their story to be told. The Bulgarians queens became in foreground when the things didn’t go well. May be because so called  order” was destroyed and central power was weak and the boyars didn’t care enough  who is ruling..

True or wrong the first I want to represent is Maria. Her full name is Maria Palaiologos Kantakouzene Asen. Maria is byzantine, daughter of noble John Kantakouzene and Irina Palaiologos /sister of emperor Michael Palaiologos/ The last name ”Asen” she received from her husband tsar Constantine Tih Asen.  Thus  Constantine wanted to show his belonging with the house of Asen- a great dynasty of Bulgaria, who made the Second Bulgarian Empire a major power in Europe. The initiative for wedding between her and Constantine was her uncle’s – the emperor Michael. Thus he wanted to parry bulgarian aspiration toward empire. As a dowery was promised important trade centers on Black sea Messembria /Nesebar/  and Anhilano /Pomorie/. Maria arrived to Tarnovgrad at the beginning of 1269 and soon was crowned  Soon the problems started – Michael Paliologos refused to fulfill his promises to went back the strongholds on the Black see, which Bulgaria lost 1256. This behavior of the emperor caused strong discontent at the Tarnovo’s palace and undermined tsar Constantine authority. Maria realizing that her uncle’s actions compromised her in the palace openly push on Constantine to started a war against Byzantine empire. The following war didn’t bring any success to the country, but only exhausted it. Meantime Michael has succeed to attracted on his side tatarian leader Nogay. ""Thus Byzantines having an ally on Bulgarian back made Bulgarians more ”agreeable” and the peace was restored. On 1257 during a hunt tsar Constantine fell from his horse and broke his leg. It’s seemes to be very bad because the tsar became very sick and by using this the queen took the rule of the country.First she had to cope with boyar’s opposition. One of its leaders was Jakov Svestoslav -  earl /despot/ of southern Bulgarian strongholds. Jakov’s aspirations to the throne were obvious for  Maria. She tried to kill him as sending him an assassin/not prove only supposition/, but the assassin was revealed. After fell in this attempt she had to step back a front of the Jakov’s desires. Around 1275 on public ceremony the queen adopted Jakov as son thus making him next of the throne. The same night Jakov died poisoned in his palace. Similar destiny followed and other of the opposition – most of them poisoned. After destroying opposition inside the country the queen entered in the international politics. On 1268 her mother Irirna /Eulogia/ entered in the orthodox party in Constantinople. Following her mother Maria stayed devoted to orthodox tradition and stayed opposite to the unia between Constantinople and Rome. On 1276 Maria sent a mission to Jerusalem and Egypt.  Bulgarians managed to attracted on their side the Patriarch of Jerusalem, who anathemize the Lion unia and promised to influence the Patriarch of Alexandria and Antochia to do the same. Thus the queen brought the hate of her uncle  Michael Palaiologos On this mission Bulgaria had proposed alliance to Egyptian sultan from Kuman origin Bayrbars /do not know the right spell./. Meantime in the country the things took dramatic change- the financial reform fail, tatar invasions become more frequent as result a civil war started. Its leader was Ivailo with nickname Lahana. Ivailo managed to push off tatars north of Bulgaria and  Byzantines south of Stara Planina. On a battle near capital tsar Constine Tih Asen was killed and soon Ivaylo lay siege to Tanovgrad. At the beginning the defenders of Tarnovgrad led by Maria stubbornly refused to open the gates, but when understood that Michaell launched a new campaign  against Bulgaria, Maria sent delegates to Ivaylo with proposal for marriage and unifications of the forces which the last one accepted. The wedding and coronation were at spring 1278. The answer of Byzantine was quick – of the end of same year a huge army entered in Bulgaria from south and big tatar army from north. Ivaylo went against tatars and Byzantines left to Maria. Unfortunately Ilavylo lost the first battle against tatars and was sieged in town of Silistra. The defense of the capital once again is led by Maria and the defense is successful until the news that Ivaylo is dead did not spread . Using this the long repressed boyar opposition revolted and Maria was arrested. On the next morning Maria was sent to byzantine and a new tsar was proclaimed – Ivan Asen III. From Tarnovgrad the hateful nephew went to Andrianopole, then to Constantinople. Soon the ex-queen entered in political party of her mother which at 1283 took superiority and the unia with Rome was cut off. The last mention of Maria is during 1293 when a “”False Ivaylo”” came to Constantinople and Maria was called to recognized him. It is interesting that at 15 century a byzantine diplomat signed himself as a Lahana Palaiologos, showing his connections with Ivaylo and Maria..

Everybody listen only this which understands.
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2012 at 09:10
That's some really good stuff, tzar, and I can't wait to read many more of your posts.

Btw, Welcome back.
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2012 at 13:31
thanks!
btw is my english understandable? I would try to post more soon!
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2012 at 14:01
Your English is good, bro! No worries. Thanks for the interesting post.Smile
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2012 at 14:12
Yes interesting facts and language You use!Regards Don!How did You spent your time in Turkey?
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2012 at 14:23
It was fun! I didn't have time to see as much as I hoped, because the city is soo big, but it was great. There was a demostration for the right t have pets when I was there, I found this very interesting.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2012 at 14:33
I spent my travel last year the same:Big ideas to visit all,but most of my time i spent traveling huge city riot and contented my body needs:feeding and resting it.SmileMaybe real living there for year or more can give you more possibilities.
P.S.
In my travel me and my colleagues have been our Hosts favorite pets!LOLLet us give more chances here to Tzar to show us other parts of Queen Maria story!Here You are Tzar!

Edited by medenaywe - 02-Oct-2012 at 14:37
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2012 at 09:09

Acctually there is no new to tell. This above is the short version of the story. Now I would try to make it more detail. Traditionally historians give to Maria nicknames such as “intrigante” and chroniclers of the time called her “insidious woman”. To be more specific I will begin with the ruling of Constantine Asen. Constantine Asen sit on Bulgarian throne on 1257. He was one of the powerful despots of southwest Bulgaria and was from Bulgarian and Serbian origin. Pahimer wrote that with this choice Bulgarians wanted to restore the greatness of their country, because  the inheritors of great Ivan Asen II were more than failure. Only for twenty years on bulgarian throne sit 3 monarch and territory of the country shrinked 3 times. The situation in 1257 was this: Constantine managed to attract of his side boyar’s council and tsar Mitso Asen was pushed to run off from the Tarnovgrad. He went to East Bulgaria where found allies and challenged the authority of the new tsar. From north the Hungarians continuously “harassed” Banat and Transylvania. To easy his situation Constantine got married for granddaughter of Ivan Asen II and daughter of the Nikean emperor Theodor Laskaris  -princess Irina Laskaris Asen. At 1259 hungarian king Stefan went deep into Bulgarian territory. On the next year Constantine Asen answered and his armies conquered part of Banat. The situation was restored from magister Lavrentius /or something like that/ who pushed off the armies of Constantine. Inspired from his success on 1261 Lavrentius launched a new campaign against Bulgaria and went deep into it, but was stopped from Jakov Svetoslav. On the southneast the war with Mitso Asen was with changeable success. At one moment Constantine had to retreat and save himself in the fortness of Stanimaka. On the next year he took superiority and managed to defeat Mico Asen. Left only with Messembria. Mico Asen surrendered the stronghold to Byzantines and run off into Mala Asia. Meantime Michael Palaiologos conquered Constantinople and ordered to blind the young emperor John IV Laskaris, who was brother of Bulgarian queen Irina. The result was a war. At the beginning Constantine conquered Macedonia, but late Michael Palaiologos took superiority and conquered Thrace and Anhilano. This unsuccess forced Constantine to seek the help of Tatarian horde.  At the autumn of 1264 20 000 tatars and bulgarian army bursted into Byzantium and “followed up so devastating of Thrace that long time couldn’t be seen a ploughman on the field”

At 1268 queen Irina died. That was a good chance for Michale Palaiologos to seek close contacts with Bulgarian monarch. Michael proposed to Constantine his nephew Maria and promised as dowery Messembria and Anhilano. At 1269 with a splendid suite Maria Palaiologos Kantakouzene arrived in Tarnovgrad, but under different pretext Michael Palaiologos delayed giving back Messembria na Anhilano – ”Those are Roman towns and to go under Bulgarian authority the tsar couple have to have a son, who as a roman has to right to rule over this towns” the emperor said officially. At 1270 Maria has born a son and baptized him Michael, but Michale Palaiologos forgot about his promises and refused to give back the strongholds. In order to protect her dignity and right to rule Bulgaria Maria insist Bulgaria to announce war to the Byzantine empire. The political situation in the region also was in favor of Bulgarians. The Napoli king Carlo Angio was announced for inheritor of Latrin empire and was planning creation of union against Byzantine empire. Bulgarian messengers quick arrived at Napoli and suggested union. Everything was going fine when surprisingly the cruse was abolished. Despite this Constantine launch a single campaign against Byzantium, but didn’t succeed anything. Meantime byzantine diplomacy won of their side the tatars /with big gifts and a marriage between  Nogay and Michael’s daughter/ and in 1274 Nogay with big horde invasion into Bulgaria. Followed and other attacks so “”tatars made from land of Moesians /Bulgarians/ a moesian plunder””. This was the years at which Maria took the control over the country. With development of sick of Constantine Asen he became just a figure on the throne and all deals and political matters were solved by Maria. She made Tarnovgrad and Bulgaaria a center against the Catholicism and Constantinople. At  Constantinople continuously  were arriving messengers for Eudoka/Irina – mother of Maria, with secret messages for terrible plans for revenge. As a support of his mother party, outside Byzantium Maria created a strong Orthodox coalition which included Tarnovo and Jerusalem Patriarchs and late Alexandria and Antochia. Maria's messengers went to the sultan of Egypt, but „"worked in vain"" to create a union against Byzantine Empire. Maria easily crushed the boyar opposition /most of the poisoned , others were find killed and died incidentally/. The most dramatic case is with Jakov Svetoslav, where after unsuccessful attempt to kill him with an assassin, Maria” motherly” poisoned his wine after an official ceremony, where Jakov sworn to be faithful son and queen, although was younger than him, to be his mother in law. A chronicler told this story: “On a shining ceremony in the Patriarchal cathedral Maria hugged with one hand her true son Michael and with other her new son Jakov. Then with an patriarchal blessing and a mess everything finished. Knowing Maria, Jakov hurried up to went into his stronghold where soon after died...” All this didn't stay unnoticed from Maria's uncle who already had regret for sending this”poisonous snake in Bulgaria”

The difficult situation in the country didn’t give Maria chance to develop all new connection to create a strong union against Byzantium.  The first in Europe civil war started and soon Maria had to choose between her husband's killer Ivaylo and throne. Under the treat of the new campaign against Bulgaria Maria and Ivaylo got married. The death of Constantine Asen surprised emperor Michael, but more surprising was the wedding between Ivaylo and Maria. First plans of the emperor were to marry Ivaylo to his daughter “”if he was worthy for Bulgarian kingdom”” The emperor carefully kept an eye to the uprising of Ivaylo, even went to Adrianople “”to be closer to the events” But soon stayed clear that this is not just a uprising against the ruler, but a war between the classes – noble and ordinary people. Emperor considers that "it will become a time when Ivaylo power should grow so much that even Byzantine empire is threaten. So he decided to move and with single shot to remove his hated nephew and the Lahana /which means a person who takes care of pigs/. Against this background Maria chose the lesser evil and with contradiction of rules of the time proposed marriage to Ivaylo. After a short protracting Ivaylo accepted. He entered in capital with words that “he didn’t receive mercy, but gives” and “under the applause of the capital aristocracy received the symbols of tsar’s authority” After won several battles against Byzantines and stabilize south front  Ivaylo went against elite armies of Nogay. The battle was near Drastar /today Silistra/. Tatars firstly defeated Ivaylo forces and he and his army were seiged in the strong  fortress of Silistra for 3 months. Meantime Tarnovo aristocracy revolted, arrested Maria and sent her back to her uncle in Adrianople. The new king, a protégé of Michael Palaiologos was announced – Ivan Asen III, son of former tsar Mitso Asen. Several months passed and Ivaylo somehow managed to defeat tatars legions and went against the new king and besieged Tarnovgrad once again. Understanding this emperor Michael sent several armies, but none of them managed to defeat Ivaylo. Soon the situation of Ivan Asen III became more than hard, without army and support of emperor Michaelр Ivan Asen,   took what he could carry from the treasury and one night run off into Constantinople. The Tarnovo's aristocracy quickly choose a new ruler, the most powerful among them George I Terter. The main task of the new tsar was Ivaylo, who after didn’t received any more major victories  started losing influence and soon have to retreat a front of surprisingly united force of all Bulgarian aristocracy. He run off to Tatars where soon after was killed.

Although this not only the story of tsaritsa /queen/ Maria. I tried to tell  deeper  history of Bulgaria on this time. Hope you like it!

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2012 at 09:27
This was very fogged time:200 years after church had been divided in Eastern&Western Roman.Byzantine state was in trials how did it reform state&administration.De romanisation of Western Europe had started with creation of Charlemagne Empire of Franks...Control of passage between 3 continents was little bit harder.It was lost battle from the beginning.It is still...
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2012 at 13:49
Definitely it was a foggy time, but  even now isn't exactly clear. If only we can read the history books about our time you will see that from their point of view many things now are wrong.
Actually the same process, similar to Romanisation, started in east Europe. At the time Bulgaria has been conquered by the Ottomans around capital Tarnovo had many, many literary schools. Bulgarian language as a first cyrillic language was an official diplomatic language. Second Bulgarian empire was fully developed state for the time. It had independent religion authority, with international recognition which was responsible for " spiritual development" of the people. The tsar as leader of the country was fully responsible and engaged for prosperity  of its nation, we had a boyar counsel and local despots. Bulgarian ports of the Black sea actively traded with Venice and Dobrovnik. So I do not think that the East Europe was doomed only because it is on crossroad
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2012 at 14:16
Do You have some online sources from respected&well known researcher of this period(except YouSmile):First Bulgarian Empire&Charlemagne&Samuel(Second Bulgarian Empire?) and time of Your Queen Maria.Regards .(Your style is very rational!I like it.)Our Balkan "national histories" we have to erase&forbear!They have killed(by word&quill) more people on Balkans than bombs in Hiroshima&Nagasaki!?!We have to stop it further!By forum!
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2012 at 14:44
Well actually no! The books which I used are the Bulgarian Queens, Bulgarian khans and tsars and Who's who in Medieval Bulgaria. I made a concise retelling of the writing in them
I've writen some articles about Bulgarian queens in bulgarian section of wikipedia, then someone added me and another translated it to English. So as I can judge most of the articles there are independent, but still they are not respectful source. I would try to find something on the net!
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2012 at 15:58
Thanks Tzar!Smile
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2012 at 16:12
I enjoyed the work tzar. Fine effort. Your passion for the history of your nation is duly noted.
Keep up your efforts and don't worry so much about recent past events or undue criticism that might be assigned by someone with a diverging opinion. For as you noted 20th ce. politics are not the subject of the thread.

Because in truth derogatory and or negative events in a nation's development and history can be found in every state on the globe.

So to hell with the critics.......Big smile As a historian and retired educator...I value your effort.Thumbs Up

Well done.

CV

PS. Your English is fine.Smile
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2012 at 12:59
Thanks. I really appreciate all this support. This definitely motivate me to continue with other topics
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2012 at 07:33
Very interesting Tsar. Did the Bulgarians ever claim to be successors to the Roman empire, as Russia did when Constantinople fell?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2012 at 08:32
There are such a lot of people for this title on Balkans,Nick!Romans were very fertile here!?!SmileBalkan wars
come from their hand grip testing&repositioning on territories they posses:You have to be subordinative under them.Other solution is "Over Carpathian mountains"=exile abroad(mass scale emigration is on!)!  
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2012 at 15:41
Originally posted by Nick1986

Very interesting Tsar. Did the Bulgarians ever claim to be successors to the Roman empire, as Russia did when Constantinople fell?

Successors of Romans no but their kings yes. Wink Two of our tsars put the title Tsar of all Bulgarians and Greeks. Simeon I the Great and Ivan Asen II. 

tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2012 at 17:06
Originally posted by medenaywe

Do You have some online sources from respected&well known researcher of this period(except YouSmile):First Bulgarian Empire&Charlemagne&Samuel(Second Bulgarian Empire?) and time of Your Queen Maria.Regards .(Your style is very rational!I like it.)Our Balkan "national histories" we have to erase&forbear!They have killed(by word&quill) more people on Balkans than bombs in Hiroshima&Nagasaki!?!We have to stop it further!By forum!

Hi
I found this. As an issue of The National Historical museum i suppose that it has to be independently
 Post Reply Post Reply